Review: Nitecore Tini (EDC-Keychain size, XP-G2 TIR, Micro USB rechargeable light)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Nitecore Tini from Nitecore for the review.

The Tini is a new EDC keychain sized flashlight, with a TIR optic and a XP-G2 emitter powered by a integrated li-ion battery, rechargeable via micro USB.

Being a review sample, the Tini was provided without any packaging.

I don't usually start reviews with size comparison pics, but in this case I am making an exception to show how compact the Tini is, with a normal sized lighter
Nitecore_Tini_06.jpg

and with the well known Nitecore TIP 2017 version. Not only is shorter, but also thinner.
Nitecore_Tini_07.jpg

Nitecore_Tini_08.jpg

The tip has an aluminum body, with black anodizing. I like how Nitecore mixed the color, with the light having a black background with clear, polished contrasting elements.

On one side there are the 2 electronic switches
Nitecore_Tini_01.jpg

Nitecore_Tini_03.jpg

and on the flat profile there is the micro USB port, protected by a rubber cover.
Nitecore_Tini_02.jpg

The light has a rounded profile, and at the opposite side of the LED there is a lanyard hole, that on my sample came with a preinstalled splitring. The light can't stand with the splitring in it.
Nitecore_Tini_04.jpg

The Tini has a flood tir optic to focus the XP-G2 S3 into a flood beam, suitable for very close distances.

UI
Nitecore_Tini_13.png

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall
Nitecore_Tini_13.jpg

Nitecore_Tini_14.jpg
Nitecore_Tini_15.jpg
Nitecore_Tini_16.jpg

Output and runtime
Nitecore_Tini_09.png

Nitecore_Tini_10.png
Nitecore_Tini_11.png
Nitecore_Tini_12.png

My thoughts
The light is well made and finished.
In my opinion the Tini is a smaller, classier version of the well known and appreciated Tip. The light has a more eye catching design, and could easily be mistaken for a car key or a gate key.
The tradeoff to this size reduction is obviously going to be in the output and runtime departments. Even the charging port has some issues, due to the limited space and the steric hindrance from the micro USB rubber cover will make pugging in the micro port a little hard on some cables.
To keep the general aesthetic details, the Tini has 2 plastic switch covers that are very close, quite small and slippery, so if you wear gloves or you are in a hurry, you could need a few more seconds to operate the light.
The switches also offer very little resistance to pressure, and for limiting the events of accidental activation, Nitecore made the light both turn on constantly with a long pressure, and added the chance to set the light to self turn off after 30 seconds.
Although I found easier to activate and deactivate a lockout, like on the TIP, I can also see the convenience of allowing the light to turn off itself within few seconds, without the need of playing around with the small switches.
I like the direct access to lowest and highest mode.

Despite the smaller size, the light still packs a lot of output for its size, and I like the TIR lens which makes the light look IMHO cooler, and makes sure the beam is spread over a wide area.

I would have liked this light with bigger buttons, a clip and with a NW otption. Also, I would have preferred that after the 30 seconds of Turbo the light stepped back to high mode, and not the previous used mode as, for example, if you let the Tini in low mode when it steps down it will seems as if it is turned off.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks ... so turbo is 350ish lumens, high is 160ish? Not bad for such a little thing, and I love the look.

Unfortunately, the UI doesn't work for me ... I tend to like flashing my lights, which means I turn them on and off a lot in use. Any UI that has a long press for either on or off drives me crazy...

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Can you clarify the reactivation chart? You set it to turn off automatically at 30sec or you manually turned if off at 30 sec? And the purpose of this graph is to show . . .?

TIA, Terry

the Tini was provided without any packaging.

FYI, packaging (minus charging cable which is a paid accessory), but if you have a TIP, the same cable will work.
nhj1pdou5ey7uel6g.jpg

wr8epbytevkwypz6g.jpg

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo comes on somewhat quickly by pressing the mode button, either on or off. It is strictly momentary.

Demo mode has a timer turning the light off after 30(?) seconds. You can turn it on quickly and it will not go off at 30 seconds. You have to turn it off. The Daily mode stays on after clicking on.

There are a few different color aluminum shells available. We like silver because inevitable scratches are much less noticeable.

Split ring on or off, can't see how it would be possible to tail stand this tool; Side stand yes.

When removing the Micro USB port cover, rotating it counter clockwise and leaving it at the ~5 o'clock position makes for easy connection of the plug. It is second nature to me now.

While there IS direct access to Turbo, the TINI has last mode memory, and not direct access to low unless you turned it off previously in low.

Not sure about the 30 seconds of Turbo comment in the review. Turbo is strictly momentary: A good feature seems like.

It is curious that the mode button seems to be a little more firm than the on/off button.

The supplied split ring is much more sturdy than the small split ring provided with the Nitecore TIP, which I could easily pull apart from the flashlight. The TINI also come with a small, spring tension clip like the LRI Photon pinch lights of old. Even the packaging looks like the Photon packaging with the arc of clear plastic with a white background to "show" the powerful beam.

The tint really is good for a cool temp emitter. Perhaps the optic smoothes out the color shift. White wall gazing actually looks kind of typical for a decent 6000K LED (guessing). There seems to be a bit of yellow in the smooth wide 'hotspot', with a faint, faint bit of violet around the outer edge of the spill. Color rendering is fine unless you are looking to see how well it renders color. Then there is a little amount of 'washed out' cast to certain colors like light shade and medium shade browns. Red shows up OK, not distracting.

Thanks to Budda for the review. I could not see the beam shots though.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, although I too could not see the beam shots.

I have one of these little beasties and love it. I could never get on with the Nitecore TIP, not sure why, but this little wonder has replaced my 1018 light (a Mecarmy X2S) on my neck chain.

Very light and easy to use, the TINI has been very useful as a personal go-to light for all tasks around the home and garden.

I've even found I can control it with my teeth when necessary (carrying in shopping from the car, getting the logs in, etc etc.)

Shame the capacity is not as great as the TIP, but really, what's not to like? One should be in every Bug Out Bag and every survival kit right next to the paracord and Ritter RSK Mk5!

I shall do this as soon as funds allow.