Medium-sized 30k+ candela spot for 1+ hours on 1x18650

megam

Newly Enlightened
Can anything do it?

Check out this beamshot of the 20-year-old Surefire M6. Beautiful. I know - bigger light, more batteries, less runtime. Thing is, that's only 500 lumens. Today, 500 lumens for an hour off 1x18650 is doable, the only thing I can't find is that beautiful beam shape and CRI.

Bonus points for:

• Durability
  • CRI
  • Compactness

Edit: after far too much internet archeology, I have determined that the M6 is probably not 20 years old, but between 17 and 19.2. So, there's your useless fact of the day 😂

Last edited:

camelight

Newly Enlightened
Emisar d1 would give you 40kcd in a very compact package. But ot won't last a full hour because of heat. So the d1s would be better but bigger
Or just buy convoy c8 and a nichia led and mybe use the 6×7185 driver so you get a ful hour.
This are budget options i am sure there are more

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog? Sorry fingers are too sleepy, here's what it says on the site......

This flashlight has a beam with a nice tight hot spot and good spill. The output is approximately 800 (900 momentary) measured Out the Front lumens on high and 30 OTF lumens on low. The High/Low is controlled by head rotation. The Head will easily illuminate objects at 1200+ feet with a generous room lighting spill. Lux at one meter is approximately 29,000. The LED is a Cool White (5700K) Cree XP-L. The runtime on a 3400 ma Li-ion 18650 battery is approximately 1 hour at full output (down to 650 lumens). Then another 45 minutes of bright output (down to 300 lumens) followed by several hours of declining output.
This Head was designed for rugged service from the ground up. It is fully potted to stand up to rough service and recoil.
Head Diameter: 1.8 inches

Not High Cri, but a lovely beam nevertheless. Also Available in Neutral.
P

megam

Newly Enlightened
Emisar d1 would give you 40kcd in a very compact package. But ot won't last a full hour because of heat. So the d1s would be better but bigger
Or just buy convoy c8 and a nichia led and mybe use the 6×7185 driver so you get a ful hour.
This are budget options i am sure there are more

Thanks for the reply! I'd actually looked at all three lights, and the problem I had was the beam shape: spot too narrow, spill too bright. Seems to be the standard thrower beam pattern nowadays, and I'm having a hell of a time avoiding it.

Maybe the M6 beamshot doesn't show dramatically enough the shape I'm looking for, so check out this beamshot of the pre-lumen-bump EB1. That's near-perfect for me. (Unfortunately, SF hasn't maintained that shape as they rolled out LEDs with the efficiency I want.)

How about a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog? Sorry fingers are too sleepy, here's what it says on the site......

This flashlight has a beam with a nice tight hot spot and good spill. The output is approximately 800 (900 momentary) measured Out the Front lumens on high and 30 OTF lumens on low. The High/Low is controlled by head rotation. The Head will easily illuminate objects at 1200+ feet with a generous room lighting spill. Lux at one meter is approximately 29,000. The LED is a Cool White (5700K) Cree XP-L. The runtime on a 3400 ma Li-ion 18650 battery is approximately 1 hour at full output (down to 650 lumens). Then another 45 minutes of bright output (down to 300 lumens) followed by several hours of declining output.
This Head was designed for rugged service from the ground up. It is fully potted to stand up to rough service and recoil.
Head Diameter: 1.8 inches

Not High Cri, but a lovely beam nevertheless. Also Available in Neutral.
P

Thanks! That's actually already on my short list. I love the brand, but its lack of regulation means it falls quite far from 30k within the first hour, and the spill's a bit antagonistic. I'm hoping, probably unrealistically, that the beam shape changes to my liking when they get that emitter up to date.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! That's actually already on my short list. I love the brand, but its lack of regulation means it falls quite far from 30k within the first hour, and the spill's a bit antagonistic. I'm hoping, probably unrealistically, that the beam shape changes to my liking when they get that emitter up to date.
Thank you for replying. So few people do these days, that I'm losing my enthusiasm.
Anyway, I can see your point at the lack of regulation. I have a pair of these, and they are the most useful high output lights that I have. I can honestly say that I have never noticed the lack of regulation in over 2 years of use.
Good luck with your search.
P

megam

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for replying. So few people do these days, that I'm losing my enthusiasm.
Anyway, I can see your point at the lack of regulation. I have a pair of these, and they are the most useful high output lights that I have. I can honestly say that I have never noticed the lack of regulation in over 2 years of use.
Good luck with your search.
P

I believe it. I had one of the original Hound Dogs and still remember how much I liked the beam. One of the only flashlights I regret selling when I had to lose my collection.

Don't lose faith my friend, CPF needs people like you to outweigh the passersby.

Latest posts