Do you have a preference in batteries for a new light that is coming??

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
I really do not know much about batteries. Therefore, this post.

Vin will start building a Mateminco MT18vn (Astrolux MF-01) Spec 2 for me very soon and now I want to understand batteries that will go into it.
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/mateminco-mt18vn-best-pop-can-light

The light will take both the button or the flat top, and they need to be unprotected, high drain.

I don't really know the relationship between Amps and mAh in a flashlight.

My thinking is: To pick the battery with the higher Amp and mAh but that could be wrong.

Here are some possible batteries I have discovered.
Vin recommends the Sony VTC5A, 30A, 2500mAh, flat

Three other possibilities:
1) LG HG2 20A, 3000mAh, flat
2) Samsung INR18650-30Q, 15A, 3000mAh, button
3) Sony VTC6, 30A, 3000mAh, flat

For those of you that use a number of different 18650's, is there an above battery or another that you might suggest for the light that will be coming?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always match the batteries/cells to the load of the light.

Any of those should be sufficient for your new light.

Vin recommends the Sony VTC-5A, so I might source those out, since that's a monster light and the Sonys are still at the top of the heap.

The Sony VTC-5s are aging, the VTC-6s were slightly less than the VTC-5As, but the latter might be aging a bit, so buy from reputable sources that aren't getting them from a 100*/97% humidity controlled warehouse in Cambodia.

Chris

Last edited:

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Moved this thread to the Batteries subforum for you ....

I thank you.

I looked and looked but I did not notice a battery forum

Then I looked after it was posted and there it was. Dumb on my part

Last edited:

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Always match the batteries/cells to the load of the light.

Any of those should be sufficient for your new light.

Vin recommends the Sony VTC-5A, so I might source those out, since that's a monster light and the Sonys are still at the top of the heap.

The Sony VTC-5s are aging, the VTC-6 were slightly less than the VTC-5As, but the later might be aging a bit, so buy from reputable sources, that aren't getting them from a 100*/97% humidity controlled warehouse in Cambodia.

Chris

Chris

Thanks

Boy, there is a lot to know.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris

Thanks

Boy, there is a lot to know..

It's a better time to be into rechargeable batteries, especially li-ions, now, than it was six years back when I stated here.

It's not even a close comparison, frankly.

We had three premium battery rebranders: AW, Redilast and Callie's Kustoms, who offered quality protected cells and they were $19-$22 each. There was also International Outdoors, so four guys helping us out and you couldn't find quality bulk cells all that easily.

Chargers? Ultrafire, Pila and some Nitecore and Xtar.

That was about it, Jim.

These are great times for lights, batteries, cells, chargers, power banks, USB solar panels and the like.

Enjoy and read a lot.

Chris

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
It's a better time to be into rechargeable batteries, especially li-ions, now, than it was six years back when I stated here.

It's not even a close comparison, frankly.

We had three premium battery rebranders: AW, Redilast and Callie's Kustoms, who offered quality protected cells and they were $19-$22 each. There was also International Outdoors, so four guys helping us out and you couldn't find quality bulk cells all that easily.

Chargers? Ultrafire, Pila and some Nitecore and Xtar.

That was about it, Jim.

These are great times for lights, batteries, cells, chargers, power banks, USB solar panels and the like.

Enjoy and read a lot.

Chris

That is exactly what I am doing and driving my wife crazy by looking at all the YouTube stuff about batteries