Flashlight for work and a flashlight for bikes

Urzza

Newly Enlightened
The work light

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
-Up to $100.

3) Format:
-I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
-SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
-*MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

--*The smaller size is greatly preferred, but I am curious as to what medium sized options are out there.

5) Emitter/Light source:
-LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
-I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
-**I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

--**Similar to the size category, I'd prefer the first option, but I am still curious as to the other options.

7) What power source do you want to use?
-I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
-I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
-I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

--I have this listed in order of preference. I'm planing on using rechargeable 18650's. On that note, any opinions on 18650's with built in USB charging ports?

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
-I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
-I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
-I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
-I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
-I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
-I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

--I would prefer a milti-mode light that can handle all this these categories.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
-Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
-Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

--Either of these will work for me

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
-Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
-Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
-5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
-30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
-50-150 yards/meters

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
-90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
-Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

--I will be primarily using this light while doing night club security.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
-I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
-I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
-I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
-I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
-Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
-IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
-Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
-Pocket/belt clip
-Crenelated bezel

Hello world! I'm looking to get a new flashlight. I'll primarily be using this light while working security at a nightclub. After looking around some, I'm thinking about the Nitecore P10GT and the Fenix UC35. The main differences between these two are as follows:

Nitecore P10GT
-The strobe function being a separate switch and not needing to cycle to it.
-Simple, two brightness mode as a user programmable option.

Fenix UC35
-Built in USB recharging on the flashlight.
-A higher max brightness than the P10GT (820 on the P10GT vs 960 on the UC35)

What I would like the most is a P10GT that also had built in USB recharging. I see the MH lights on the Nitecore website, but they closer to the UC35 than they are to the P10GT in terms of operation.

Thanks for the help!

arKmm

Enlightened
Streamlight Strion LED HL may be worth considering. Very simple, extremely well built, good all-round beam. Common choice for Law Enforcement. Slightly over budget potentially but it may be worth it.

Urzza

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Strion LED HL may be worth considering. Very simple, extremely well built, good all-round beam. Common choice for Law Enforcement. Slightly over budget potentially but it may be worth it.

Thanks! Ill take a look at that.

Also, here's some info for the bike light:
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
-This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
-Up to $200.

3) Format:
-I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)

4) Size:
-I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:
-LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
-I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
-I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
-I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
-I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
-I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
-I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
-I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
-I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
-I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
-Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
-Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
-Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
-Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
-5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
-30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
-50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
-90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
-3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
-Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
-Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
-I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
-I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
-Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
-Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
-IPX4 (Splash resistant)
-IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
-In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
-The ability to quickly remove and reattach this light to a bike

This flashlight is going to be a gift. My sister needs a new light for her bike. One of the big things here is the ability to remove the light quickly and without the use of tools. It's ok if the first time you mount the light you need to install a base, but the light its self needs to be something that you can remove and take with you without hassle. She will be commuting on roads and bike paths. I was thinking about a Fenix BC21R or BC30R - 2017, but that may be a bit large. Another option that was intriguing was something like a Nitecore BM02 mount and a nice USB rechargeable flashlight. The nice thing about the Nitecore mount is that nothing really attaches to the flashlight, as opposed to Fenix's ALB-10 mount.

Keitho

Enlightened
That Fenix bc30r would be a great gift. A friend of mine has one, an it doesn't look too big to me on his bar. Don't forget a taillight (planet bike radbot is a great choice, but there are hundreds).

BTW, I wouldn't recommend a light less than 400 lumens for a bicycle night ride. On well lit streets and paths, I use a single 700 lumen flood on my bar, and I add a second 600 lumen spot flood on my helmet on dark paths and streets.

Urzza

Newly Enlightened
That Fenix bc30r would be a great gift. A friend of mine has one, an it doesn't look too big to me on his bar. Don't forget a taillight (planet bike radbot is a great choice, but there are hundreds).

BTW, I wouldn't recommend a light less than 400 lumens for a bicycle night ride. On well lit streets and paths, I use a single 700 lumen flood on my bar, and I add a second 600 lumen spot flood on my helmet on dark paths and streets.

Thanks for the advice. Also, when I said it may be too big, I meant putting in a backpack along with books/laptop.