HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red map light: good idea?

Default Re: Red map light: good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    I suspect there's a good reason why general aviation aircraft of numerous brands use red lighting for the instrument panel.
    Might have something to do with ground lighting, air traffic control, what not being anything other than red? Really have no idea on this and totally speculating that i might be right in an attempt to find some truth.

It's to preserve the pilots night vision to help him or her to see and avoid other traffic.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Quote Originally Posted by JasonOk View Post
    Might have something to do with ground lighting, air traffic control, what not being anything other than red? Really have no idea on this and totally speculating that i might be right in an attempt to find some truth.
    Well i'm wrong here as i just remembered/realized that most tower warning lights/beacon lights are in fact red.

Edit: i think there is still alot to be learned here, though we may be at the risk of getting of topic
    Last edited by JasonOk; 01-02-2018 at 09:52 PM.

This is getting rather off topic. We could go for some time about blue taxiway lights on runways, the various beacon colors and flashing patterns defining the type of airport, and all that.

But this is automotive lighting.

I think this thread has run its course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12