Review: Fenix TK75 2018 Edition, good mix of throw & flood (5100lm)

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, posting on behalf of OutdoorsIQ while their new account is being approved. Both the video and written review's are by Outdoors IQ. Nice to see a new review style which I would say is a 'casual read' rather then 'scientific bench test'. Both video and written formats are provided, whichever you prefer. :thumbsup:

YouTube Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPo47Chksyo&t=319s

Written Review
With impressive throw and decent spill, the TK75 2018 edition could be ultimate outdoors flashlight. One thing is for sure, After four editions this version is Fenix's most refined yet. The 2018 edition offers almost twice as output and runtime when compared to the original version. In this review, we put the new TK75 to the test and find out if it is really worth its asking price.

The standout feature of the TK75 2018 edition has to be its reflector and emitter design. Having not only a good amount of throw for long range but also a good amount of spill aswell. Single emitter flashlights may have better throw overall, but are so focused that they fail to light up the path in-front of you. One example is the OLight M3XS-UT which I use for spotting animals, when walking between locations I find myself needing to carry a second flashlight. This is where the TK75 excels, It's a one-stop shop with both decent throw and spill.

Fenix is known for their quality and the TK75 2018 edition is no different. The flashlight is well balanced and feels solid in-hand. To cater for photographers, Fenix has added a thread to the body of the flashlight. This allows the flashlight to be mounted to a tripod which would also be useful for hand-free operation.

Typically, the box isn't worth mentioning with flashlight manufactures often providing a fairly standard cardboard box. Though in this case, Fenix has provided a reusable hard-plastic case which can also be used to store accessories. Included in the box is a shoulder strap, lanyard, spare o-rings, a micro-USB cable, instructions and the TK75 2018 edition. Also uniquely Fenix has provided a runtime graph showing the lumen output for each mode. This is the first time we have seen this level of detail and hopefully this will catch on with other manufactures.

The lens of the TK75 2018 edition features four deep reflectors which produces a distinctive beam patten which can be best described as a happy sunflower. Here is an artists impression. With such deep reflectors and multiple emitters the TK75 2018 edition has a very tight spot in the centre with a surrounding spill. This combination makes the TK75 2018 edition ideal for most outdoors activities.

At 188mm long and weighing in at 835 grams with the batteries installed, the TK75 2018 edition isn't exactly small. Though given the ergonomics of the flashlight and the included shoulder strap the flashlight isn't at all uncomfortable to carry. Especially when you consider larger flashlights such as the Imalent DX80 which weigh's over 1.2kg and is noticeably less comfortable in-hand.

The TK75 2018 edition requires four high-drain rechargeable 18650 batteries. You should be careful when choosing batteries for high-drain flashlights as using older or low-drain cells can limit the performance of the flashlight. For this review I used the OLight HDC 3500Mah 18650 batteries. Given the capacity and high-drain rating this was an ideal match for the TK75 2018 edition.
To install the batteries, insert each battery following the diagram inside each battery slot. Once the batteries have been installed, insert the carrier with the pin's facing towards the emitters and screw together the flashlight.

Fenix has also included a handy micro-USB charger built into the battery carrier. This is especially useful for field use as the flashlight can be charged using a large battery bank or solar charger. To charge the flashlight connect the micro-usb into the side of the carrier. The status indicator will flash red indicating that the flashlight is charging. Once charging is complete, the indicator will glow green.

The TK75 2018 edition has two side buttons, one for flashing modes and the other for general light modes. To switch on the flashlight press and hold right side button. Pressing and holding the side button again will switch off the flashlight. To cycle through each of the modes, press the right side button once while the flashlight is switched on. Pressing and holding the right side button while the flashlight is either on or off will shortcut to the turbo mode. To activate the flashing modes, press and hold the left side button when the flashlight is off. Pressing the left side button once will cycle between the strobe and SOS modes. Additionally tapping the left side button once while the flashlight is off will show the battery level using the indicator LED between both buttons.

The TK75 2018 edition has 6 light modes and 2 flashing modes. This includes Eco at 50 lumens, Low at 150 lumens, Medium at 450 lumens, High 1 at 1,000 lumens, High 2 at 2,000 lumens and turbo at 5100 lumens. In terms of runtime the lowest mode will run for 95 hours and the turbo mode will run for 2 hours and 15 minutes with a step down after a few minutes of use.

After 4 editions over 4 years, the TK75 2018 edition shows another incremental upgrade to the TK75 range. With impressive throw combined with usable spill, the TK75 2018 edition would make the ideal hunting, camping or search and rescue flashlight. Even if you don't do any of these tasks, the TK75 2018 edition is simply an impressive flashlight to own.

Last edited:

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Getflashed! For some reason only some of my posts are making it online. Possibly because my CPF account hasn't been approved yet. Here are some bonus photo's:D

PNFLVb7.jpg

wX0aBvE.jpg

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job. Especially liked the video review which simultaneously combined indoor specs and outdoor beamshots. Thanks!

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Nice job. Especially liked the video review which simultaneously combined indoor specs and outdoor beamshots. Thanks!

Thanks noboneshotdog, glad you liked the video. It definitely makes it all worthwhile when I get positive feedback like yours.:grin2:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your valuable review of this instant classic.

At some point, I am going to have to add this important light to my collection.

ScottDR

Newly Enlightened
I see this becomes an even more expensive habit! Great review, thanks for posting!

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys! It's very encouraging when people are reading/ watching. Especially as a new reviewer.:poke:

What would you guys like to see next? Perhaps an ultra-thrower such as the Nitrcore TM38 (1.4km) or the Thrunite TN42 (1.55km)? Or maybe something else like the Acebeam L30 which uses the new 20700 battery?

Hopefully I didn't cause too much wallet harm with this review. Having a good mix between flood and spot is really growing on me, especially in real-world use.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
And remember, a lot of us are watching even if we are not commenting. Keep em coming! I think you are over 400 views here.

OutdoorsIQ

Newly Enlightened
And remember, a lot of us are watching even if we are not commenting. Keep em coming! I think you are over 400 views here.

Thanks noboneshotdog and to everyone who read or watched my review. 400 views is incredible! It's been a very humbling experience. I started 2 weeks ago and have posted just 5 reviews so far. I can't believe I have 119 subscribers and my videos have been watched over 4,000 times!

I know these numbers are not big by YouTube/ CPF standards but i'm thankful for each subscriber and it means the world to me that people are enjoying my content. I know I can never compete with the big reviewers, but I'm happy to just have fun with my reviews and meet some like minded people along the way:twothumbs

Last edited:

domho8

Newly Enlightened
Hi just gotten this last wk end.
I was amazed at the throw and the intensity of the beam.
b2f1e9692807cf46bced39dcd6deeaa8.jpg
15b5f7c33baafde3c63f7ea86093214b.jpg