Olight - S1 - MINI        

Thread: New JW Speaker 200mm rectangular LED headlamps

Default New JW Speaker 200mm rectangular LED headlamps

Oh, cool (or I should say "hot"): New JW Speaker 8910 Evolution 2 200mm x 142mm (large rectangular) LED sealed beam conversion lamps with heated lenses and "dual burn" (which keeps the low beam on with reduced foreground intensity during high beam operation). Bunch of interesting stuff about these. The lens heating setup looks similar to the setup in their 165mm x 100mm (small rectangular 8800) units, and it works very well on those. They stress NCAP 5-star low beam performance, which is also a brag they first made on the smaller rectangular lamps, and what it looks like on those is a nice Z-beam type of low beam pattern with a strong and well-placed hot spot and very smooth light throughout the beam with no streaks/spots/shadows and no stray light. Probably the same on these; note the DOT and RHT ECE lamps number two, not four (choice of chrome or black faceplate; you don't have to choose DOT or ECE). Interesting that the US aim marking is VOR; it could certainly be aimed VOL instead, but at this point it's a guess whether that would result in lower or higher aim. Depends on how much separation there is between the left cutoff and the right cutoff.

High beam peak intensity reference number is 12.5, which translates to about 37,500 candela -- probably means they are emphasizing beam width rather than ultimate maximum distance down the road, but I'd want to reserve judgment on that until I actually see them.

Non-heated 8900 Evo 2 version looks to be the same, but without lens heating.

Default Re: New JW Speaker 200mm rectangular LED headlamps

Hmmm, can you get a bucketmount too fit these? These might be what i go too in my big truck.

Any idea what temperature the heating element turns on at? There are certain conditions where icefog will freeze up your headlamps even though its technically above freezing outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadden View Post
    Hmmm, can you get a bucketmount too fit these?
    They're designed to replace 200mm x 142mm (5"x7") sealed beams. Any bucket that can hold the traditional sealed beam of that size should hold these.

Speaker do not disclose the temperatures on their specification sheet, they simply say
    When does the heater turn on?
    Heater turns on or off according to temperature changes and vehicle power:
    ē Heater will turn on when temperatures drop, generating enough heat to prevent ice build-up
    ē Heater will turn on when powering up, de-icing the light as rapidly as possible

In practice, the thermostatically controlled heater kicks in at around 40 degrees F or so, again going on what I found with their small rectangular heated lamp. But I didn't try to dope out the relationship they imply between temperature and "vehicle power".

https://www.quadratec.com/p/jw-speak...xj-comanche-mj

$544... ouch.
    The jeep needs new tires more than these (very sad, very sad).
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Brand-new product. Early adopters usually wind up paying high prices. Wait for the distribution pipelines to fill up and the price to come down.

Yeah I saw the email about them last week. Going to give them serious consideration in the spring when I start a new wiring harness for my Bronco. Hoping to change everything over to LED.

Good catch; I conjured up a pair of 0554461 last week from the Speaker distributor up here, should be here by Christmas.

The other difference between the 8910 & the redesigned 8900, aside from the heating element, is only the 8910 has "dual burn".

However, both SAE models now seem to have a fourth hot wire for some version of small "city light", as well as being "DRL compatible" - I wonder if this means they can be used with voltages as low as 6v.

Perfectly happy with last years 8900, but the heated lens function sounds useful.

Really really really need these in a 7" round version ------ we had a heavy snow recently and I was out at oh dark thirty. I had to stop every 1 - 2 miles to clean off my 8700Js. They caked over solidly and all that was coming out was an eerie dim glow.

Hang on! (I have it on good authority the 7" heated lamps are coming very soon)

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post
    Calling Jason in 3 2 1...

Hopefully some of their driving lamps also make the list too get the heated lens upgrade.

The 8900 Evo 2 (non-heated) is dual-burn. They "oopsed" not to mention it on the web page.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    Calling Jason in 3 2 1...
    Sorry i'm late to the party. This is going to be great!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonOk View Post
    Sorry i'm late to the party. This is going to be great!
    Wrong Jason, I thijnk.

I still haven't heard back from him, Virgil. I'm salivating over the prospect of 8700-J2 with heater headlamps. Can you poke him with a stick for me? Let him know there's a line of people who want to know about them...

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    I still haven't heard back from him, Virgil. I'm salivating over the prospect of 8700-J2 with heater headlamps. Can you poke him with a stick for me? Let him know there's a line of people who want to know about them...
    "Hi, when are the heated 7-inch lamps coming out? Asking for a friend." :-)

"Hi, when are the heated 7-inch lamps coming out? Asking for a friend." :-)

Bill, while there is a lot of talk about a heated 7" round lamp coming out to join the other SmartHeat Series, we don't have a timeline for this to talk about it. I'm sorry.

I can't go into "names and places" detail, but I have it on pretty good authority it's actually coming soon. Given the "big splash" types of announcements JWS likes to make, it doesn't surprise me they'd deliberately keep quiet before the official release.

In practice, the thermostatically controlled heater kicks in at around 40 degrees F or so, again going on what I found with their small rectangular heated lamp. But I didn't try to dope out the relationship they imply between temperature and "vehicle power".
    My hypothesis is that they may shut off the heaters based on system voltage, or even detect if the engine is running or not, so as to prioritize battery charging and/or reduce battery drain.

I suppose one could write them a nice email to know for sure.

I'll have an initial pair to check out in 7" round flavor by mid May, but apparently mid November may be the retail release, not sure if that holds true for the "regular" 7" round or the JK specific or "halo" versions, I'll know soon enough.

I've had the heated 5x7s for a little over 3 months now, absolutely flawless as far as I can tell.

The heated grid function doesn't appear to be related to system voltage. I left these on while the engine wasn't running, and they stayed on, cycled off, and came on again. I then beat my Odyssey like a red headed stepchild by running my winch till the battery static voltage was dragged down to 11.6v, and the heated grids on the lens still cycled on and off as if the vehicle were running/charging.

Perhaps they won't activate the heater grids until the system drops below their minimum listed 10v?

But at that point, the vehicle won't start either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    My hypothesis is that they may shut off the heaters based on system voltage, or even detect if the engine is running or not, so as to prioritize battery charging and/or reduce battery drain.

I suppose one could write them a nice email to know for sure.

It looks like there is 3 unit LED on each 8910 or 8900
    Does anybody know how many of them are on when low beam is activated?
    How many of them are on when high beam is activated?
    And how many amp is consumed on low and high beam?

Low beam - 3 LEDs

https://imgur.com/p3iC0jV

High beam - 5 LEDs

https://imgur.com/cucu1xx

Amperage depends on whether the heated elements are on or off; the complete specs can be had from JW Speaker's data sheet on their page.
    Last edited by Ofelas; 04-28-2018 at 04:30 AM.

The 8900 Evo 2 (non-heated) is dual-burn. They "oopsed" not to mention it on the web page.
    Is dual-burn good or bad in an objective test? The 8632 Evolution lights I added to my truck have this feature. When speaking to customer service to check the ship date of my order, they mentioned that they updated my lights to have the dual-burn feature. However, isn't foreground light bad when you are needing to see farther down the road?

This would be a compounded issue for me, since my factory headlights keep the low beams lit when using the hi beams.

This has me wondering if dual-burn is designed to provide warm fuzzies for the driver, or is it beneficial for seeing further? Have I overthought this?

Quote Originally Posted by kingofwylietx View Post
    Is dual-burn good or bad in an objective test? The 8632 Evolution lights I added to my truck have this feature. When speaking to customer service to check the ship date of my order, they mentioned that they updated my lights to have the dual-burn feature. However, isn't foreground light bad when you are needing to see farther down the road?

This would be a compounded issue for me, since my factory headlights keep the low beams lit when using the hi beams.

This has me wondering if dual-burn is designed to provide warm fuzzies for the driver, or is it beneficial for seeing further? Have I overthought this?
    Those are good questions-- on my own cars with halogen headlamps, I'd like to disable the low beam when going to high just because the foreground light can detract from distance vision. However, this isn't quite the same as the foreground light generated by fog lamps, which is too close and too intense compared to what a proper low beam would provide.

I'm not positive on this, but I think the Speaker lamps reduce the intensity of the low beam when the high beams are on, specifically to avoid putting too much light in the foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    I'm not positive on this, but I think the Speaker lamps reduce the intensity of the low beam when the high beams are on, specifically to avoid putting too much light in the foreground.
    That would be interesting to have confirmed. Frankly, I love the lights. I reeeeally love the color temperature, they are noticeably lower/warmer on the color scale than my factory LED lights. I still need to call around to get them aimed properly, so they are very likely aimed too low (yes, I couldnít resist taking a night run to check them out). That would certainly contribute to foreground light.

I just found the idea of the low beam staying lit with the high beam to be at odds with everything Iíve read on here. However, I do think they are a fantastic brand that makes top quality products, so maybe you are correct about them reducing the intensity of the low beam when the high beam is selected. Or, maybe there is more to it than that, such as when properly aimed...maybe itís not too much foreground light. Itís not my area of expertise.

I do know now that the person I spoke to in customer service said it would be okay for the lights to receive power to the low and high beam circuits at the same time when you want high beams (they had to go confirm it with the engineer). I asked them because my truck keeps the low beams lit with the high beams and Iím using the factory wires to trigger my low and high beams on the Speaker lights (through relays).

Now you've got me curious about whether the low beams reduce intensity when the high beams are turned on; I suppose I'll have to stare at the lens to confirm.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/what-is-dual-burn/

Suffice to say, any foreground light with the Speakers on high has never bothered me.

I drive a Jeep ----- I'm never going fast enough that foreground light is a problem....

I contacted my buddy at JWS to try and score a set of the SmartHeat in a 7" round but she's out on maternity leave (congrats, young lady!). Didn't hear back from Jason.

[frowny.face]