Any Concerns About Lipo Safety???

Witterings

Enlightened
What are people's thoughts on Lipo safety with your typical 14500 / 18650 batteries????

I fly a lot of RC things where there seems to be a lot more "Paranoia" about Lipo safety / charging and am "battery safe aware" and always use good quality chargers etc and whilst they're generally much larger batteries the chemistry is the same and therefore would carry the same risk.

My biggest concern is it's easy just to stick a spare torch battery in a trouser pocket for convenience, so do they ever suddenly erupt into flames for no reason as they don't half go up and it could do a lot of damage before you could get it away from your body ... or is there only a risk if you say fell over and landed on it or were on a bike and fell of and it was in your pocket and hit the ground.

It'd be nice to know what the "real" risk is as I think there's a lot of hype and speculation about them being dangerous and there must be literally millions of then out there now and you don't really hear of them going bang apart from youtube videos where someone whacks them with a hammer or throws them in a fire ... that said I don't want to be the one who's carrying it in a pocket when it goes off (a bit too close to the Crown Jewels as well :eek:) and saying I wish I'd listened to what others had said.

Interested to hear others thoughts??