Peak Eiger momentary tail switch and beam pattern questions:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please only comment on the basic Eiger, not the Ultra or Ultra X. Comments on the aluminum version are especially desired, since that's the version I'd likely order because of it's lighter weight, but I expect the beam pattern and tint info to be identical for all three of the material options.

I plan to use NiMh or lithium AAAs in the light.

Either there's not much recent information about these lights readily available or my web searching skills suck. I'm suspecting the latter

1) Can the momentary tail switch be used on the aluminum body, or just on the SS or brass bodies? They only offer SS or brass switches on the Peak website, so I'm uncertain if either or neither can be used on the aluminum body.

2) Does the momentary tail switch increase output brightness as the switch plunger is pushed further in? I saw one description of the switch on a site other than the Peak site, that described it's function this way.

3) If you have an Eiger with the momentary tail switch, do you carry this light down in your pocket or at the top of the pocket with a clip?
3.A. If in the pocket, do you have problems with accidental activation?

4) Does the screw in head switch still operate the same as usual when the momentary tail switch is mounted - can you use either mode of activation?

I'm strongly considering getting one of these lights with the aluminum body for the lighter weight.

I'd likely get the pocket clip, since I carry most of my lights clipped inside either my back pants pocket or shirt pocket for quick access. My only light down in my front pants pocket is a Mag Solitare, witch rarely gets accessed, but is a nice little light. The Solitare is the only twisty activated light that I carry.

The continuous increase in output as either the head is tightened or as the optional tail switch plunger is pushed farther in are the main attractions.

I would most likely get the high CRI emitter and medium beam optic.

Feel free to answer any or all of the above questions, as well as offer observations and experiences with beam patterns of the medium vs narrow optics and between the different emitter options and the utility of the momentary tail switch.

Please post beam shots, if you have them, especially if you have both the medium and narrow optic options to compare.

Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
Please only comment on the basic Eiger, not the Ultra or Ultra X. Comments on the aluminum version are especially desired, since that's the version I'd likely order because of it's lighter weight, but I expect the beam pattern and tint info to be identical for all three of the material options.

I plan to use NiMh or lithium AAAs in the light.

Either there's not much recent information about these lights readily available or my web searching skills suck. I'm suspecting the latter

1) Can the momentary tail switch be used on the aluminum body, or just on the SS or brass bodies? They only offer SS or brass switches on the Peak website, so I'm uncertain if either or neither can be used on the aluminum body.

Yes, you can use the momentary switch on an aluminum tube

2) Does the momentary tail switch increase output brightness as the switch plunger is pushed further in? I saw one description of the switch on a site other than the Peak site, that described it's function this way.

If QTC version, yes, variable output with variable pressure

If single mode version, plunger switch is on/off

3) If you have an Eiger with the momentary tail switch, do you carry this light down in your pocket or at the top of the pocket with a clip?

Either (at different times)

3.A. If in the pocket, do you have problems with accidental activation?

No, both twisty and plunger switches are relatively "heavy" to activate

4) Does the screw in head switch still operate the same as usual when the momentary tail switch is mounted - can you use either mode of activation?

Yes

I'm strongly considering getting one of these lights with the aluminum body for the lighter weight.

I'd likely get the pocket clip, since I carry most of my lights clipped inside either my back pants pocket or shirt pocket for quick access. My only light down in my front pants pocket is a Mag Solitare, witch rarely gets accessed, but is a nice little light. The Solitare is the only twisty activated light that I carry.

The continuous increase in output as either the head is tightened or as the optional tail switch plunger is pushed farther in are the main attractions.

Feel free to answer any or all of the above questions, as well as offer observations and experiences with beam patterns of the medium vs narrow optics and between the different emitter options and the utility of the momentary tail switch.

Please post beam shots, if you have them, especially if you have both the medium and narrow optic options to compare.

Thanks

Be aware that the QTC output is variable indeed, but offers only relatively coarse adjustments.

With the very small bezel on the "classic" Eiger, all of the beam patterns are wider than you might otherwise suppose ... ie, "narrow" is fairly balanced between hotspot and spill, "medium" is actually fairly floody, etc

If you truly want a relatively narrow throwy beam, you may need or want to step up to the larger bezel options, such as the Ultra version(s) , or a Logan

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
Yes, you can use the momentary switch on an aluminum tube...

While the specs allow for stainless or brass to be used with the copper has anyone used the dissimilar metals for any length of time? I'm wondering about galvanic corrosion over the long term.

Dan

archimedes

Flashaholic
While the specs allow for stainless or brass to be used with the copper has anyone used the dissimilar metals for any length of time? I'm wondering about galvanic corrosion over the long term.

Dan

Yes, dissimilar metals in contact present risks of galvanic corrosion.

I've used the steel switch in an aluminum tube for several years under relatively normal conditions with no evident problems.

I'm not an expert but I think stainless steel and aluminum only moderately differ in electropotential.

Brass and copper are very close to each other, but moderately far from steel, and farther yet from aluminum.

choombak

Enlightened
I have been a Peak Eiger user for several years, and it is my personal favorite AAA light. However, I order the fixed output instead of the coarsely-variable output with QTC. I have copper, alu, and steel lights, with plunger and I freely mix and match heads and bodies. Note the QTC and non-QTC bodies are vary in length (non-QTC being a tad shorter). The machining, anodizing, etc. is pretty good, and they are reliable companions.

Additionally, instead of ordering from Peak, order 'em from their only dealer (I'm going to PM you the URL). That way you'll get the lights quicker, since Peak are notorious to get a hold of. Their small nature, and poor communication have driven many a folk away, but that is exactly opposite of the quality the lights deliver. Feel free to PM me if you require specific information about the Eiger -- my EDC light is either the Eiger or an Arc-P AAA. They have never failed me in over a decade!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Without getting too far into the details here, unless things have changed, Peak have one distributor / dealer and a second dealer-only (as well as selling direct from manufacturer, as you note)

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened

A couple quick thoughts:

-The medium optic is very floody. IIRC it's quite similar to the Fenix E05, with practically zero hotspot. Unless you're after a super floody light, I'd recommend going with the narrow optic. It has a nicely balanced beam that makes for a more useful all-around light.

-When you get the High CRI, I'd recommend that you specify Nichia. The first High CRI light I ordered from Peak was apparently an XP-G of some sort, and the tint was rather greenish to my eye. In fact, I actually asked Peak to swap out for a Nichia head, which they were kind enough to do for me.

-I personally wouldn't recommend the QTC lights. They can be a little flickery, and they're pretty bad battery-crushers. With that said, I love my single-mode Eiger.

-I'd spend a little extra and get the SS one, although I understand this is a matter of personal preference.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Good point on the metal options ....

I've not had any in copper, so I can't speak to that, but I find the steel most durable, brass best threads, and aluminum lightest (among these three choices)

I do have a couple in titanium, which were limited editions and very nice, but those lack knurling.

I prefer the stainless steel for EDC uses.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the great and detailed answers and feedback and links to the dealer.

If I were to buy an Eiger, it would be with the QTC, since the continuously variable output is the main attraction for me with this light. Though, the many comments here and other places regarding how course the adjustments are on the Eiger, have me reconsidering whether this light would work for me.

This statement on the Oveready website regarding the use of low voltage batteries with the momentary tail switch has me wondering how well it would work with the NiMh batteries at 1.2 volts or lithium batteries at 1.7v.

"Use note: This switch applies pressure in a linear (non-magnified) fashion. Installed on a light with a battery under two volts, this switch will provide less output from the QTC, than is possible from tightening the head. For full output from this switch with a low voltage cell, use with a non-QTC body."

For my use, the reduced output from an NiMh or Lithium powered Eiger using the tail switch, rather than tightening the head, might be high enough, or it might not be. The statement doesn't give a percentage for the output reduction.

Regarding beam profile, for small lights like this, floody is good for me. Hopefully, I'll find a beam comparison of narrow vs medium somewhere.

If I go high CRI, I probably would request the Nichia head, if that's still and option, since I've read reports of the XP-G version tending toward a bit greenish. I'm not fond of greenish.

This would likely be an after Christmas purchase, since there aren't any sales, so no sense of urgency and I still have some more research to do on real world functionality of the QTC on the Eiger. The youtube videos that I found were a couple years old, so I don't know if things have improved since then.

archimedes

Flashaholic

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest thread (with un-broken photo links ) to what you are asking ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?345378-Peak-beamshots-awsome-pics

Thanks. Based on the El Capitan narrow vs medium beam shots, I kind of lean toward the medium, but I've also read that the smaller head of the Eiger will result in even wider beams than the Elcapitan, so that makes the decision a bit tougher. In those pics, I prefer the tint of the neutral vs the high CRI.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying an Eiger in SS with a momentary switch for quite a while now. Nichia emitter, narrow optic, qtc, Prometheus clip. I have many edc capable AAA light to choose from! And it is my favorite edc light by far. It feels like a properly made tool that one can hand down to his children.
yes, the qtc takes some getting used to, but that feature is part of what makes this light special.
the narrow optic gives a diffuse hot spot and a great deal of spill.
I run mine almost exclusively on a 10440 cell, but the ability to use any cell that fits, and the build quality make this a tremendous value.
Try calling Peak directly, Robyn is always a big help.
Enjoy.

Agpp

Enlightened
Be aware that the QTC output is variable indeed, but offers only relatively coarse adjustments.

With the very small bezel on the "classic" Eiger, all of the beam patterns are wider than you might otherwise suppose ... ie, "narrow" is fairly balanced between hotspot and spill, "medium" is actually fairly floody, etc
I have an Eiger Ultra with medium optic and XP-G2. Can't agree with those 2 statements.
On AAA the adjustment is very smooth, though not too precise - the output increases marginally after adjustment. On 10440 it's coarse indeed. And the minimum output is very high.
Medium optic is very floody. Good for close-up, but floodier than I'd prefer for any outdoor use. I wanted a balanced beam and regret not taking the narrow one.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
On AAA the adjustment is very smooth, though not too precise - the output increases marginally after adjustment.
wow, that would make me really unhappy
so the qtc is imprecise, and inconsistent.. glad I don't own one.
I like lights that have consistent, repeatable, regulated output.

now, not to be a Debbie downer, here is a hopefully helpful contribution to the OPs search
Please only comment on the basic Eiger, not the Ultra or Ultra X. ...

this may not meet your requirements, but otoh, it does have some beam shots that may help you learn more
https://www.edcforums.com/threads/p...hain-aaa-and-an-optic-reflector-study.116256/

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, QTC is rather like something else (with three letters) that is a particular technical solution to a specific engineering challenge and which bothers some more than others ... ;)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
three letters

:), yes, well, since I am being Debbie downer, it behoves me to offer an alternative that does not use any 3 letter words, so I propose the Lumintop TiTool w Nichia (available for as little as $30, pm me for the secret deal)

there is even a version with Low mode first, here

I have a good friend that wanted an Eiger, I talked him into the TiTool instead, he has been very happy. fwiw, the keychain eiger is more than 3/4" longer, and in aluminum it weighs the same as the Titanium Tool.. So, TiTool is shorter, fancier, and $35 less expensive than the aluminum keychain model of the eiger w qtc momentary switch.

no, I don't get any free lights or kickbacks for stating my opinions.. Ive paid for them myself.

Agpp

Enlightened

I should have noted that you don't notice the slight increase unless you're staring at a wall.
Like with any ramping UI - you don't get repeatability....but personally I have no desire of having it. Every time I turn the light on, outside conditions are different. I can make it as bright as I need; exactly as bright as I need. This is something impossible with mode-based lights.
Personally I'm very happy with how the UI behaves with AAA. With 10440 - not really. I can't help but wonder how does it work with Eiger X....

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the great info. I will likely buy an aluminum Eiger with momentary tail switch, QTC, Nichia high CRI and pocket clip in the not too distant future, but that combination will cost me over $80, so it will have to wait until holiday excess spending has been paid off in a month or two.

Still haven't decided on medium or wide beam for my application.

Last edited: