RMSK, Inc.        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

Arrow New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

Mag has come out with a new "Spectrum Series" available with red, green, blue or warm white LEDs:

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/specialty.html

.....not sure if there will be much interest in the colors, but the warm white might be interesting.

Default Re: New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

I’d like to see them in the C cell size at least too. Maybe someday. The XL50 would be interesting in warm white.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    Mag has come out with a new "Spectrum Series" available with red, green, blue or warm white LEDs:

.....not sure if there will be much interest in the colors, but the warm white might be interesting.
    Wow! So, they're only 5 years behind the competition, now?

I still don't understand how they're still in business. Around here, most department stores replaced them with other (cheaper) brands a few years ago. You can still find them in some stores, but they're ridiculously expensive for what you get. I'm not sure who buys them anymore.

Well, they come in colors like pink, so maybe that's their niche.

I looked at all of the warm white models, and not one of them listed the lumen output or throw specifications. And all of them had 'No' listed as Power Management. They don't say what Power Management is, but I am going to assume (I know!) that's another word for regulation.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Cool! Interested to see just how warm the warm white models are.

I'll definitely be checking out a warm XL50.
    Maybe a Solitaire in time.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Whilst it's good to see warm white available again in non li-ion lights, these represent poor value for money compared to a $15 Convoy S2+ with 7A emitter.

It would be nice to see warmer tint in the Maglite C and D cell line. The ML 300 line isn't terribly cool but I would like it's a a bit warmer like my malkoff lights. I'm just not a fan of cool lights. Although the ML25 does appear a bit warmer to the eye.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Wow! So, they're only 5 years behind the competition, now?

I still don't understand how they're still in business. Around here, most department stores replaced them with other (cheaper) brands a few years ago. You can still find them in some stores, but they're ridiculously expensive for what you get. I'm not sure who buys them anymore.

Well, they come in colors like pink, so maybe that's their niche.
    For the average punter the name Maglite is probably still the first thing that comes to mind when they think about a decent torch. It also has ‘made in the USA’ appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by XR6Toggie View Post
    For the average punter the name Maglite is probably still the first thing that comes to mind when they think about a decent torch. It also has ‘made in the USA’ appeal.
    The key word is "average" toggy. The purists here don't get that.
    Millions of people equate Maglite with big ole clunker ball bat sized deals with light bulbs. And to this day that is Maglites target audience.

Some would say a $30 flashlight with only 500 lumens is not a value compared to a $12.99 light with 1400 lumens. But to the Mag audience who I can personally attest will lose their $12.99 bogo light in 45 days and not really care. But you can bet a Pepsi that same group will look high and low in an all out search for that $35 Maglite. I saw it a number of times this past summer on various construction projects. And you'd be surprised how many will spend that extra $12-22 dollars in order to obtain a US built flashlight.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    The key word is "average" toggy. The purists here don't get that.
    Millions of people equate Maglite with big ole clunker ball bat sized deals with light bulbs. And to this day that is Maglites target audience.

Some would say a $30 flashlight with only 500 lumens is not a value compared to a $12.99 light with 1400 lumens. But to the Mag audience who I can personally attest will lose their $12.99 bogo light in 45 days and not really care. But you can bet a Pepsi that same group will look high and low in an all out search for that $35 Maglite. I saw it a number of times this past summer on various construction projects. And you'd be surprised how many will spend that extra $12-22 dollars in order to obtain a US built flashlight.
    I think it’s the same logic with other things like cars and household appliances. There are always shinier annd flashier options but for some people a ten year old Toyota HiLux or a Maglite are enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by XR6Toggie View Post
    I think it’s the same logic with other things like cars and household appliances. There are always shinier annd flashier options but for some people a ten year old Toyota HiLux or a Maglite are enough to get the job done.
    Exactly.

Flashaholic

If you ask 10 people on the street to name a good flashlight brand, I'm sure most of them will say Maglite if they can come up with a name at all.

I have nothing against Maglite because I started collecting lights with Maglite. I can remember buying my first Maglite decades ago, and it felt like such a thing of quality decades ago, and even though the world has moved on, I still have a fondness for the brand as "my first"

I think there is a certain charm you can still buy a 6D club which happens to light up.
    Last edited by warpdrive; 12-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.

There is no doubt that Maglites exude sturdiness and quality. The sticking point for me was always the zoom. I couldn't see the need for it, and hated the artifacts it put into the beam. Since I have no need for a stealth club, and have better small lights (at least in my opinion) I am done with Maglites. I will recommend them to someone who isn't up to dealing with Li-Ion cells and their associated arcanery, but you won't see me buying any.

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    If you ask 10 people on the street to name a good flashlight brand, I'm sure most of them will say Maglite if they can come up with a name at all.

I have nothing against Maglite because I started collecting lights with Maglite. I can remember buying my first Maglite decades ago, and it felt like such a thing of quality decades ago, and even though the world has moved on, I still have a fondness for the brand as "my first"

I think there is a certain charm you can still buy a 6D club which happens to light up.
    As much as my tastes have greatly matured, I've come full circle with Mag Lite.
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I thought of MagLite as a truly high quality light. Then as I grew up and got more into flashlights, the big hole in the middle of the beam and all the artifacts on Mini MagLite incandescent made me think they were trash.
    Fast forward and I've come to appreciate the old school Mini Mag AA as a classic in its own right. Where I keep all my high end and favorite lights, there is a Mini Mag AA and a SureFire 6P both incandescent representing for the classic old school lights.
    The MagLite Solitaire was my first keychain light. I could totally dig on a warm white version of it because the Solitaire LED actually has a much better beam pattern than the incandescent did, but I pretty much hate cool white light.

For the price I wish they had glass lenses.

Anyone know where to find glass lenses for the Solitaire and/or the Mini Mag AAA?
    Or does anyone know the dimensions of the lens on those two lights?

It's easy to find glass lenses for the Cs and Ds as well as the Mini Mag AA...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Fast forward and I've come to appreciate the old school Mini Mag AA as a classic in its own right. Where I keep all my high end and favorite lights, there is a Mini Mag AA and a SureFire 6P both incandescent representing for the classic old school lights.
    I liked the 4-D and 4-C Mags, and I still keep batteries in mine. Sturdy, reliable, a good switch, and reasonably bright. But I never liked the Mini Mag. It wasn't very bright, compared to the D cell lights you could get at that time. And it had a habit of needing a couple of knocks to get it to full brightness. Bad switch? Unfortunately, a trend that mag carried into their mini mag LED lines.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Anyone know where to find glass lenses for the Solitaire and/or the Mini Mag AAA?
    Or does anyone know the dimensions of the lens on those two lights?

It's easy to find glass lenses for the Cs and Ds as well as the Mini Mag AA...
    Have you checked flashlightlens.com?

Flashaholic*

I still use the purple minimag my wife gave me when we were newlyweds in 2001. Of course it has an LED drop-in, a glass lens, and some 3rd party forward tail switch now, but the resulting beam shape and color is one of the nicest in my collection. It sits proudly on my night stand and is my go to light when the cats are bad during the night. It was my only EDC light from 2001 until about 2010 (and it shows it).

20 - 30 lumens is plenty for most indoor uses (especially at night) and the run time is sufficient that I charge the batteries monthly out of habit rather than necessity. I see no reason to replace it with something newer.

Would I buy another Maglite for my own uses? Probably not, but I would still recommend them as a decent reliable light if someone asked.

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    Have you checked flashlightlens.com?
    I did, but I'm not sure of the diameter of the lenses in the solitaire or the Mini Mag AAA. I suppose if I had a caliper I could just disassemble one and take a measurement, but unfortunately I haven't got a caliper...

16.15mm for the aaa minimag. He'll make a Solitaire one for 15˘ per mm. Send him an email for that.

Go there, click on "categories", then "Maglite applications" and you'll see each size/model listed. Nothing for Solitaire is listed, probably due to lack of interest in the incan version. But now that the LED version is out he may make up a batch.
    When I requested custom sized for ML25's he added that size to the Mag lineup and charged me normal price.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-25-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Each item is missing the performance details....Once they fill that in and the retail cost, we'll see how it stacks up.

I'd consider a warm Solitaire depending.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    16.15mm for the aaa minimag. He'll make a Solitaire one for 15˘ per mm. Send him an email for that.

Go there, click on "categories", then "Maglite applications" and you'll see each size/model listed. Nothing for Solitaire is listed, probably due to lack of interest in the incan version. But now that the LED version is out he may make up a batch.
    When I requested custom sized for ML25's he added that size to the Mag lineup and charged me normal price.
    Thanks! I did finally see that on the website. The only thing that threw me off was it says the custom stuff is either 2 or 3 mm thick which would be too thick for the Solitaire.

I wonder how warm it will be. MagLite says it's similar to sunlight which would be simply splendid.

I'm also curious what the LED die size will be. Between the XL100, XL200, and XL50, I'm pretty sure they are all using the same reflector. However they all have different beam patterns which I believe is entirely due to differences in die size and hieght. I'm hoping its larger than the LED in the regular XL50. The hotspot is super tight and really bright but it kinda gives you tunnel vision. Great throw, but I prefer a floodier beam myself.

If the warm MiniMags are single-mode, those would be just about unbeatable gifts for seniors..

Flashaholic*

Definitely an interesting addition to the Mag line up.Thanks for pointing these out xxo! Not sure if I will get one but I wouldn't mind picking up a few at the right price. Curious to see the warm white. As a neutral fan I would like to see a neutral/warm LED incorporated into Mags regular models. I have to think the color models are going to be a very limited market not really appealing to the usual Mag buyer.I wonder how long Mag will carry them in the line-up?
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

I looked for these in the very limited selection in my local Home Depot, no luck. Either they're not in the supply lines yet, or they're not going to carry them. Wouldn't mind the 2C twisty-only I picked up being a warm white...

Z Battery hasn't gotten them yet.

I suspect Mag will do like they did the ML25. They made a batch of xxxxx in each style be it IT or LT in 2 and 3 cell length. If this style or that sells well they'll make more. Say like the 2 cell incan version that they made like 50 thousand or so in 2016 (I speculate the batch size). Serial numbers at 12-15 thousand can still be found in some stores. The 2 cell LED version in places like Wally World have serial numbers in the millions yet in March of 016 I acquired #071 in the incan and #1284 in the LED.

So they'll probably do the same for the minimag and XL50. I suspect they'll be very similar in tint to the already neutral leaning ML50's and 300's that are far, far away from a Streamlight copy paper white or the former Maglite cool with a hint of blue.

Flashaholic*

I suspect we won't see these at most of the B&M retailers but hopefully some of the regular online stores will have them. If I walk into Home Depot or anywhere similar and see them I am sure I will end up one or two......
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Could be wrong but, I kind of doubt that these will ever be carried by the big box brick and mortar stores, especially the colors. Warm white may catch on, but I kind of doubt that too......most of the public seems to prefer cool white, but this may be changing and Mag is moving towards neutral white on their ML25, ML50 and ML300's.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    Could be wrong but, I kind of doubt that these will ever be carried by the big box brick and mortar stores, especially the colors. Warm white may catch on, but I kind of doubt that too......most of the public seems to prefer cool white, but this may be changing and Mag is moving towards neutral white on their ML25, ML50 and ML300's.
    XXO would you consider the ML line to be cool ? I feel the ML25 is a bit warmer then the ML 300. I prefer warmer light.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast