Miboxer        
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

Default Re: New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

Quote Originally Posted by maglite mike View Post
    XXO would you consider the ML line to be cool ? I feel the ML25 is a bit warmer then the ML 300. I prefer warmer light.

I would say they are cool, but a lot closer to neutral compared to older LED Mags. My ML25 is also more neutral than my ML300, which is not bad either. With Mags there is also some tint lottery, as might be expected considering they make millions of lights.

Personally I like neutral tints. I'm not a tint snob but given a choice, I'll take neutral or at least close to neutral over cool or warm.

To me the 016 lineup were neutral tinted. Now my XL50 was a pre 016 model, so they too may have gone to more neutral tint. Maybe you guys have experience there.

I see perhaps Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas carrying the colored beam'd lights. Maybe some cop stores. It wouldn't surprise me to see some in certain WalMarts or at least on their website where they mail it to you or send it to your local store. I've bought several "not available in stores" items from the WalMart site including my stainless steel wedding band that was a style only available online. (Their website is a miniAmazon.)

We should know by spring/summer what's what.
    John 3:16

I ordered the warm white AAA last night, supposed to be here around the 6th.

I’m kinda excited about this light...maybe we can now stop reading about how “far behind” Maglite is in regards to LEDs.

I guess I'm a little late to the party here but still wanted to comment.

What would be the use of green or blue? I can't see a market for them at all but maybe I'm wrong.

The red is nice but it's too bad it's only red. They should have a backup red LED that is switchable so it would be white most of the time with red when needed. I can't see anything but a tiny market for a dedicated red light.

The warm however is long overdue but very welcome. I wish they would have done it on their full size lights too but I imagine the XLs are selling much better these days than the big old Ds and Cs since the run time on the LEDs is so great. I think it would have been super helpful if their marketing department did more to explain the benefits or even look of a warm light as compared to the cool tints they normally run. The vast majority of consumers have NO idea what a warm LED even is. If they would have run a nostalgic marketing campaign comparing the tint to a bulb and showing some nasty cool tints they probably would have slayed their primary competition, cheap, Chinese lights. Just goes to show when you have a good name marketing isn't that important. Reminds me of the 70s, 80s, and 90s GMs and Fords. Hopefully like Ford and GM Maglite can make a resurgence one day.

Like others have said there are better lights out there for less $$$$ but the Maglite name soldiers on. I'll try one, probably an XL50, for nostalgia purposes but I can't see this being an EDC for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post

I’m kinda excited about this light...maybe we can now stop reading about how “far behind” Maglite is in regards to LEDs.
    It's a step in the right direction. Now they're just behind instead of far behind.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention too, the prices on Mag's website are always 2 X too high. They do that to deter people form buying directly from Mag instead of going through their distributors. Expect to see these lights for about half the cost when they hit Amazon.

Man it aint even 2018 yet and I've got like 15 lights on my list. These are high up there.

Around here, we'll likely never hear "Maglite isn't behind" unless they ever decide to join the flashion industry and offer gimmick of the month products. Even then some will find something to disagree about them.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Around here, we'll likely never hear "Maglite isn't behind" unless they ever decide to join the flashion industry and offer gimmick of the month products. Even then some will find something to disagree about them.
    Even if they officially supported something other than alkaleaks, would at least bring them into this century. And maybe flat regulated output, on 2 or 3 different output levels? (Bring them up to 2010.)

Warm tints is a good direction, though... depending on the tint. (Of course, they had warm tints back in the 1990's, when they used incan.)

Thanks for making my point....

Where did ya order it from? I'm stuck between an XL50 and a Solitaire. I know I'll get more use out of the Solitaire though.

Also, does anyone know what purpose the green or blue lights would serve?

Flashaholic

Per Mag's website:

"Blue is the preferred light source for pilots, great for reading maps in low light or no light environments. Blue light provides great detail and does not wash out symbols, notes or elevation markers on maps. Used by hunters for blood tracking. Forensic personnel and crime scene technicians use blue light to detect bodily fluids."

"Green is great for outdoors as animals, insects and fish typically do not react to seeing a green light source. Visually your eye responds better to seeing green and blue colored lighting. Protects your night vision typically associated with using white LEDs for extended periods of time."

Hope this helps.

Interesting, I must have missed that.

I always thought red was the preferred color for pilots and other folks that need their night vision.

all posted above about blue green and red is correct. Red is best for preserving night vision for general purpose use on the ground(usually). Most folks naked eyes adapt to the dark naturally no matter if they are aware of it or not. Red is supposed to illuminate well while still preserving your naturally adapted night vision(focus basically).

Switching to low red light at night to identify something for example from off to on and back off quickly your eyes do not either have to re adjust to the dark or readjust as much. That is just one of the main uses and principles for good quality lower output RED lights.

But of course everybody is different. The reality is that FAR more of all humanity are color blind in varying degrees of severity. It is the monkey wrench that either makes life MUCH easier for one end user but the exact same Red beam LED flashlight to somebody else may just look like a confusing BLUR.

Most of humanity has at least 1 form of permanent UV damage right on their own corneas and never even know it as well. I have filled thousands of prescriptions for some very severely visually damaged patients that well...just never bothered to even get a single eye exam in their entire lives until they somehow make it to my office by driving themselves there. THAT BAD.

the colors that most RGB type emitters put out are technically barely close to actual R G or B. They have indeed come a very long way quite recently though it is about time! I personally have my eye on the NW XL50....hmmm...

if you do indeed need an R G or B light the best, yet unfortunately not easy to do for most folks, way to ensure that they meet their R G or B expectations is to hold a copy in their own hands and use it with their own eyes.

Mags XL50 has come an EXTREMELY long way! One thing that they better have done with these new RGB NW XL50's is finally fixed that rattling noise that every XL50 has when you move one even remotely quickly. A quality glass lens SHOULD at least be an option. But hey...I must have had a dozen Mag XL's I used for actual work cause it was still a better beam than a cheap incan. 25 bucks? Of course they fly off any big box shelf...
    Last edited by CelticCross74; 01-01-2018 at 09:08 PM.

I'm up for a green mini mag when they hit the distributors. Hope somebody posts when that happens.
    Last edited by lumen aeternum; 01-02-2018 at 02:18 AM.

The Solitaires just hit everyone's favorite auction site at $19 free shipping. 30% off of Mag's posted prices is pretty common. I haven't seen any other models for sale yet.

I'm prob not going to order one just yet because I'm spent out for the month and might just wait for the XL50.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    Mags XL50 has come an EXTREMELY long way! One thing that they better have done with these new RGB NW XL50's is finally fixed that rattling noise that every XL50 has when you move one even remotely quickly. A quality glass lens SHOULD at least be an option. But hey...I must have had a dozen Mag XL's I used for actual work cause it was still a better beam than a cheap incan. 25 bucks? Of course they fly off any big box shelf...

Now if Mag would come out with a 1 AA XL50, they would really have something! I don't like the idea of using 3 AAA's and a battery carrier when you can basically get the same power from a single AA in a slightly slimmer form factor, but that's just me.

Wow...its only $53 on the Canadian site. Boo.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    Wow...its only $53 on the Canadian site. Boo.
    Holy smokes that crazy money! I could prob make a second career out of importing these for half the price.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Holy smokes that crazy money! I could prob make a second career out of importing these for half the price.
    Yeah, cost is another reason why I hate mags. Ridiculous prices for them in Canada, for a very simple light. Maybe in the US they make more sense. Well, at least where price is concerned.

You don't really see them very much in Canada any more. They used to be in every store 10 or 15 years ago. They were pricey back then, but there wasn't much competition. Now, there's a huge number of very good flashlight manufacturers, most of them less costly.

Flashaholic*

Target has the 47L Solitaire in the Memphis area. I did not happen to see the price (it was clearly on the wrong peg, but I didn't have time to hunt down the correct peg for it).

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Yeah, cost is another reason why I hate mags. Ridiculous prices for them in Canada, for a very simple light. Maybe in the US they make more sense. Well, at least where price is concerned.

You don't really see them very much in Canada any more. They used to be in every store 10 or 15 years ago. They were pricey back then, but there wasn't much competition. Now, there's a huge number of very good flashlight manufacturers, most of them less costly.
    Maybe I can get Ricky and Julian to bring a few truckloads in.

Flashaholic*

Maybe I can get Ricky and Julian to bring a few truckloads in.
    We'll take their regular cash crop, but please keep those $&%^$!! mags on your side!

Cool to see new Mags. I'll always be a Maglite fan. I don't have a purpose for a strictly red/blue/green version but the warm white looks cool.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

In the old days pilots had a small light with optional red filter. I suppose that is why the popular notion of pilot flashlights having a red filter... because that was the only choice. These days they have a choice.
    I have found I see better with a dim blue than dim red. Also it seems I can be more stealth with blue because I can see more with less output, thereby less likely to give away my position at a distance with a dimmer light.

Green? Some prefer that as their filter for various reasons. Some say it works better for them than red or blue. Yeah, I can understand that.

Why did Mag do colored lights that only have that one color? Perhaps the same reason they did incan ML25's when the LED versions came out. A niche market nobody else had tapped into.
    Big seller? Probably not, but to the person who wants a flashlight that only puts out a green beam Maglites minimag has a good reputation at being a reliable, US built flashlight for a big box store price.

I speculate the sales of the incan ML25 in 2016 played a role in their decision to put out warm LED lights in their popular, small flashlights. They did a white LED ML25 and a warm tint incan. Perhaps it led them to think perhaps the consumer market is wanting the classic Maglite era incan tint with a more modern output. That puts them in a class by themselves all by themselves, at least for now...
    Warm tinted consumer marketed flashlights, not to be confused with the hobby marketed like those popular here at CPF.

Who knows? Maybe it'll open doors for the hobby marketed lights to enter....
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-04-2018 at 10:03 AM.

The Solitaires just hit everyone's favorite auction site at $19 free shipping. 30% off of Mag's posted prices is pretty common. I haven't seen any other models for sale yet.
    Thanks for the heads up! Got one on the way. I hope I like it. $19 isn't that bad honestly. If that's too expensive I won't mention my other lights here...

The spec under Mini Mag says takes AAA. Typo, or are these not 2 AA Mini Mags?

spec under mini mag says takes AAA. Typo or are these NOT 2x AA Min Mags?

Flashaholic

I was kinda eyeballing the 2 AAA one. I wonder why there are no lumen or run times posted, or am I missing it somewhere?

JT

^me too, always have a 2aaa maglite near me, definitely want an aaa-ww.

But i always look forward to new developments by maglite, & the agitated reactions they elicit. I mean it got mad in here immediately, and over and over again. Like the dry heaves.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Even if they officially supported something other than alkaleaks, would at least bring them into this century. And maybe flat regulated output, on 2 or 3 different output levels? (Bring them up to 2010.)

Warm tints is a good direction, though... depending on the tint. (Of course, they had warm tints back in the 1990's, when they used incan.)
    If they make it a chargable and add perhaps 2x 10440 and a decent output, it would be a good light. If it had different outputs I wouldn't buy one.

Late to this thread, but thanks for the heads up & glad to see they are offering these.

When you start looking for lights that will specifically do red, green, blue, etc. it's kind of a limited market out there -- especially if you want U.S. made. Kudos to them for taking the initiative. I wonder what the output and wavelength will be for the red Solitaire; looks like they haven't updated the specs page yet. (Hopefully not too bright, considering its intended audience.)

Pssst... and hey Mag-Lite, if you're reading this -- what would also be really nice was if there was a colored lens filter kit for the Mini Mag 2xAAA and Solitaire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast