New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see them in the C cell size at least too. Maybe someday. The XL50 would be interesting in warm white.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag has come out with a new "Spectrum Series" available with red, green, blue or warm white LEDs:

.....not sure if there will be much interest in the colors, but the warm white might be interesting.

Wow! So, they're only 5 years behind the competition, now?

I still don't understand how they're still in business. Around here, most department stores replaced them with other (cheaper) brands a few years ago. You can still find them in some stores, but they're ridiculously expensive for what you get. I'm not sure who buys them anymore.

Well, they come in colors like pink, so maybe that's their niche.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at all of the warm white models, and not one of them listed the lumen output or throw specifications. And all of them had 'No' listed as Power Management. They don't say what Power Management is, but I am going to assume (I know!) that's another word for regulation.

stephenk

Enlightened
Whilst it's good to see warm white available again in non li-ion lights, these represent poor value for money compared to a $15 Convoy S2+ with 7A emitter.

maglite mike

Enlightened
It would be nice to see warmer tint in the Maglite C and D cell line. The ML 300 line isn't terribly cool but I would like it's a a bit warmer like my malkoff lights. I'm just not a fan of cool lights. Although the ML25 does appear a bit warmer to the eye.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Wow! So, they're only 5 years behind the competition, now?

I still don't understand how they're still in business. Around here, most department stores replaced them with other (cheaper) brands a few years ago. You can still find them in some stores, but they're ridiculously expensive for what you get. I'm not sure who buys them anymore.

Well, they come in colors like pink, so maybe that's their niche.

For the average punter the name Maglite is probably still the first thing that comes to mind when they think about a decent torch. It also has 'made in the USA' appeal.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For the average punter the name Maglite is probably still the first thing that comes to mind when they think about a decent torch. It also has 'made in the USA' appeal.

The key word is "average" toggy. The purists here don't get that.
Millions of people equate Maglite with big ole clunker ball bat sized deals with light bulbs. And to this day that is Maglites target audience.

Some would say a $30 flashlight with only 500 lumens is not a value compared to a $12.99 light with 1400 lumens. But to the Mag audience who I can personally attest will lose their $12.99 bogo light in 45 days and not really care. But you can bet a Pepsi that same group will look high and low in an all out search for that $35 Maglite. I saw it a number of times this past summer on various construction projects. And you'd be surprised how many will spend that extra $12-22 dollars in order to obtain a US built flashlight.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
The key word is "average" toggy. The purists here don't get that.
Millions of people equate Maglite with big ole clunker ball bat sized deals with light bulbs. And to this day that is Maglites target audience.

Some would say a $30 flashlight with only 500 lumens is not a value compared to a $12.99 light with 1400 lumens. But to the Mag audience who I can personally attest will lose their $12.99 bogo light in 45 days and not really care. But you can bet a Pepsi that same group will look high and low in an all out search for that $35 Maglite. I saw it a number of times this past summer on various construction projects. And you'd be surprised how many will spend that extra $12-22 dollars in order to obtain a US built flashlight.

I think it's the same logic with other things like cars and household appliances. There are always shinier annd flashier options but for some people a ten year old Toyota HiLux or a Maglite are enough to get the job done.

warpdrive

Enlightened
If you ask 10 people on the street to name a good flashlight brand, I'm sure most of them will say Maglite if they can come up with a name at all.

I have nothing against Maglite because I started collecting lights with Maglite. I can remember buying my first Maglite decades ago, and it felt like such a thing of quality decades ago, and even though the world has moved on, I still have a fondness for the brand as "my first" :)

I think there is a certain charm you can still buy a 6D club which happens to light up.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no doubt that Maglites exude sturdiness and quality. The sticking point for me was always the zoom. I couldn't see the need for it, and hated the artifacts it put into the beam. Since I have no need for a stealth club, and have better small lights (at least in my opinion) I am done with Maglites. I will recommend them to someone who isn't up to dealing with Li-Ion cells and their associated arcanery, but you won't see me buying any.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
If you ask 10 people on the street to name a good flashlight brand, I'm sure most of them will say Maglite if they can come up with a name at all.

I have nothing against Maglite because I started collecting lights with Maglite. I can remember buying my first Maglite decades ago, and it felt like such a thing of quality decades ago, and even though the world has moved on, I still have a fondness for the brand as "my first" :)

I think there is a certain charm you can still buy a 6D club which happens to light up.

As much as my tastes have greatly matured, I've come full circle with Mag Lite.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I thought of MagLite as a truly high quality light. Then as I grew up and got more into flashlights, the big hole in the middle of the beam and all the artifacts on Mini MagLite incandescent made me think they were trash.
Fast forward and I've come to appreciate the old school Mini Mag AA as a classic in its own right. Where I keep all my high end and favorite lights, there is a Mini Mag AA and a SureFire 6P both incandescent representing for the classic old school lights.
The MagLite Solitaire was my first keychain light. I could totally dig on a warm white version of it because the Solitaire LED actually has a much better beam pattern than the incandescent did, but I pretty much hate cool white light.

For the price I wish they had glass lenses.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Anyone know where to find glass lenses for the Solitaire and/or the Mini Mag AAA?
Or does anyone know the dimensions of the lens on those two lights?

It's easy to find glass lenses for the Cs and Ds as well as the Mini Mag AA...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fast forward and I've come to appreciate the old school Mini Mag AA as a classic in its own right. Where I keep all my high end and favorite lights, there is a Mini Mag AA and a SureFire 6P both incandescent representing for the classic old school lights.

I liked the 4-D and 4-C Mags, and I still keep batteries in mine. Sturdy, reliable, a good switch, and reasonably bright. But I never liked the Mini Mag. It wasn't very bright, compared to the D cell lights you could get at that time. And it had a habit of needing a couple of knocks to get it to full brightness. Bad switch? Unfortunately, a trend that mag carried into their mini mag LED lines.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use the purple minimag my wife gave me when we were newlyweds in 2001. Of course it has an LED drop-in, a glass lens, and some 3rd party forward tail switch now, but the resulting beam shape and color is one of the nicest in my collection. It sits proudly on my night stand and is my go to light when the cats are bad during the night. It was my only EDC light from 2001 until about 2010 (and it shows it).

20 - 30 lumens is plenty for most indoor uses (especially at night) and the run time is sufficient that I charge the batteries monthly out of habit rather than necessity. I see no reason to replace it with something newer.

Would I buy another Maglite for my own uses? Probably not, but I would still recommend them as a decent reliable light if someone asked.

--flatline

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Have you checked flashlightlens.com?

I did, but I'm not sure of the diameter of the lenses in the solitaire or the Mini Mag AAA. I suppose if I had a caliper I could just disassemble one and take a measurement, but unfortunately I haven't got a caliper...