Wuben        
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

  1. #1
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    52

    Default Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    I've been noticing a new brand of flashlight in stores lately. They're called Police Security. I saw them at Best Buy and Menards so far. They seem pretty nice, although with some problems, such as having to cycle through about 5 modes before getting to the one you want, even if you turn off the light. I was trying out one of them that had different light levels, and then different colors. When I reached the mode I wanted and then turned the light off and waited about 5 seconds and then turned it back on, it went to the next mode. Not too enthused about that.

    Anyway, here's their website. https://policesecurity.com/products/
    Many of the specs given there aren't exactly very informative.
    I'm curious about the opinions of those here who own one of these lights.

  2. #2
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Never heard of them. The website pricing leads me to think they’re cheap Chinese lights. Good for someone that wants an affordable light but not something you’d rely on for a proper duty light.

    There are plenty of manufacturers with a history of making solid duty lights to buy from instead.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,682

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
    I've been noticing a new brand of flashlight in stores lately. They're called Police Security. I saw them at Best Buy and Menards so far. They seem pretty nice, although with some problems, such as having to cycle through about 5 modes before getting to the one you want, even if you turn off the light. I was trying out one of them that had different light levels, and then different colors. When I reached the mode I wanted and then turned the light off and waited about 5 seconds and then turned it back on, it went to the next mode. Not too enthused about that.
    Heh, well, they're certainly not made for police, then!

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* Str8stroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On The Black Pearl
    Posts
    5,009

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Pass my friend. Unless you plan to dive into budget lights. If so, there are plenty of other quality options out there. Manker comes to mind. Good luck.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!


  5. #5

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    It’s good if you want something cheap. I have one. It has a plastic lense that radles and the beam is awful. Also the tint is very blue, I like cool white but it’s to far. Also the hotspot is pretty small.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles. CA
    Posts
    636

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    These, based on the outward appearance, are the same as flea market lights that are selling on the "police" name and hoping you would think they are high quality. The hosts they use are a dime a dozen, and I would expect the quality to be similar.

    Stay away would be the best way to deal with it. Generally, any brand that use "police, military, security, defense, etc." baked right into the naming of the product, chances are they are none of those things.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    I don't think that is a brand name but rather a ploy used to entice both Policemen and others to buy the lights they are essentially just clone lights could be made by any factory in Asia.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  8. #8
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Pass my friend. Unless you plan to dive into budget lights. If so, there are plenty of other quality options out there. Manker comes to mind. Good luck.
    I think every light I've owned so far would be considered to be on the "budget" side. Some are better than others. From what I've been reading in this thread about these particular lights, they don't seem to be on the higher end of the budget side. I guess I'll pass.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    I bought one at an auto parts store. A 2x triple A penlight for $10. Push button, light turns on via reversible clicky. Push button again, light turns off.
    About as bright as a Streamlight stylus pro and about as durable as a Defiant (Home Depot brand) penlight.

    I set it in a tool box and use it for low risk applications.
    John 3:16

  10. #10
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    I think I've seen this junk in walmart. Worst part was the high price. They're relying on people's ignorance that one could actually get a legitimate flashlight for the same price.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Just looking over the lights, most of them have a spherical lens I'll bet If you look around at gearbest you'll find basically the same lights at more realistic price and the same quality...just saying.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* CelticCross74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    3,860

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Police flashlights?

    In my ludicrously expensive part of the States the LEO all carry new Surefire's running off very profitable for Surefire Surefire brand CR123's.

    Quality wise police issue Surefires are actually very good. The bodies are indeed made in California. But those bodies are stuffed with about as much Chinese electronics as a Olight. Chinese emitters.

    Pennsylvania State Police have what many believe to be the BEST official police issue duty lights-American made STREAMLIGHTS. Streamlight's American factory is in Pennsylvania. The State Troopers have one HECK of an advantage carrying official issue American made Streamlights in the very state they are made.

    Pelican-Pelican despite being a small American manufacturer their issue lights are 100% quality. Most of the Pelican lights are designed for hazardous conditions and underwater.

    Maglite-Yup. Lots of them are very much still in use as well.
    Last edited by CelticCross74; 12-29-2017 at 09:01 PM.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    Police flashlights?

    In my ludicrously expensive part of the States the LEO all carry new Surefire's running off very profitable for Surefire Surefire brand CR123's.

    Quality wise police issue Surefires are actually very good. The bodies are indeed made in California. But those bodies are stuffed with about as much Chinese electronics as a Olight. Chinese emitters.

    Pennsylvania State Police have what many believe to be the BEST official police issue duty lights-American made STREAMLIGHTS. Streamlight's American factory is in Pennsylvania. The State Troopers have one HECK of an advantage carrying official issue American made Streamlights in the very state they are made.

    Pelican-Pelican despite being a small American manufacturer their issue lights are 100% quality. Most of the Pelican lights are designed for hazardous conditions and underwater.

    Maglite-Yup. Lots of them are very much still in use as well.
    SureFires are extremely expensive to get down here but I recently received the new 800 lumen Streamlight Stinger DS HL. It's an incredible light. Good form factor and simple to use. It's long enough to tuck under the shoulder. Always comes on in high, two other brightness settings accessed by holding button and strobe needs a double click making it difficult to accidentally activate. Cradle charging and with an easy to fit traffic wand. This is what all police duty lights should be like.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* CelticCross74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    3,860

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    oops! I did not notice you are in Australia! Expensive Down Under? Most the entire SF catalog is unaffordable to most Yanks. I am going to take a guess at say for example the latest SF Fury light. Here-$150. Australia $1,500? The distance to Australia in my opinion does NOT justify these NUTS price hikes on things imported there.

    Streamlights especially like the one you have are benchmarks! That is an AWESOME light. Must have cost you a fortune down there! Even in the States the model you have is expensive! Awesome light. Streamlight usually has upgrade parts and or interchangeable parts across some models.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    oops! I did not notice you are in Australia! Expensive Down Under? Most the entire SF catalog is unaffordable to most Yanks. I am going to take a guess at say for example the latest SF Fury light. Here-$150. Australia $1,500? The distance to Australia in my opinion does NOT justify these NUTS price hikes on things imported there.

    Streamlights especially like the one you have are benchmarks! That is an AWESOME light. Must have cost you a fortune down there! Even in the States the model you have is expensive! Awesome light. Streamlight usually has upgrade parts and or interchangeable parts across some models.
    Currently Amazon would let me have a P2X Fury for $279 AUD or a P3X for $454. An R1 Lawman is a modest $1196! Considering the retail of $449 for the R1 in the US works out to be $574 AUD I agree that we are getting overcharged well beyond reasonable shipping costs.

    The Stinger was much more reasonable being $197 for the light and another $55 for a charger and power adapter for it. I knew Streamlight made decent lights because we are issued the TLR-1 for our firearms. The throw and light quality on the Stinger HL is great and it looks fantastic. I know the battery tech is a bit outdated and it doesn't put out thousands of lumens like the newest lights from some other manufacturers but it just feels solid and reliable. 12 months ago I had a P7 Led Lenser running on four AA batteries and thought I had the best light available. How times have changed.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    Quote Originally Posted by XR6Toggie View Post
    SureFires are extremely expensive to get down here but I recently received the new 800 lumen Streamlight Stinger DS HL. It's an incredible light. Good form factor and simple to use. It's long enough to tuck under the shoulder. Always comes on in high, two other brightness settings accessed by holding button and strobe needs a double click making it difficult to accidentally activate. Cradle charging and with an easy to fit traffic wand. This is what all police duty lights should be like.
    I worked with some state police this summer and they said the Stinger HL DS was the best flashlight they'd ever been issued. I was glad to see Streamlight stuck with the same UI with each generation.
    John 3:16

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* CelticCross74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fairfax Va
    Posts
    3,860

    Default Re: Police Security brand lights. How good are they?

    wow. The UTTERLY MOST CRITICAL PIECE OF EQUIPMENT the non armed uniformed men and women emergency first responders 100% is having the RIGHT LIGHT for their specific emergency service.

    Perfect example are say the Pelican hazardous environment lights that work without sparking flammable fumes.

    Firefighters...I have personally known a couple local professional firefighters well a long time ago. They both wound up crushed in a building completely in flames. When it comes to what flashlights they use? 90 degree angle head INCANDESCENT SPOT LIGHTS with the HUGE SHALLOW REFLECTORS. No matter what LIFE OR DEATH CRITICAL piece of equipment they use are usually Streamlight 90 degree gear mounted(chest or shoulder)LOW power VERY HIGH CAPACITY bulbs.

    Any firefighter that may ever read this knows exactly what I am talking about when it comes to YOU MUST BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY THE EXACTLY COLOR OF SMOKE or ELSE.

    There are a couple more smaller makers for lights like that I forgot which ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •