Downgrading......perhaps multiple times

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone find themselves selling off lights, maybe "better lights" cause you think what you've got is just as or almost as good. Who really needs this new such and such when I've got old faithful right here? I do this a lot. I change my mind a lot. I've bought a light, really enjoyed it, only to say well this other one does the same thing and end up selling off the light. The Prob is I usually want to try it again at a later point in time. I'm weird. Lately it's the feeling that I want some a Peak Eiger, warm led, and a single lowing mode or maybe a qtc body. Then I spend the evening messing with my e01s and wondering why do I need another single mode aaa light? I'm kooky. I'll buy and sell multiple times and not learn the lesson. Anyone else have this issue? The lights I end up wanting are lights That i already tried and sold off. Telling myself to just be good with the E01s and enjoy life. After all God himself designed them and they're perfect, most people just don't know it. I'm in a dark hour, I'm weak! It's my new crying out for help thread d

Last edited:

Strintguy

Enlightened
You're in good company, my friend. I think there is nothing wrong with you...that a new light can't fix!

ven

Flashaholic
Your pretty normal, the thought for most of an upgrade or later model and wanting to "upgrade" is normal. I just think generally people want whats best for their money. Often disappointment or simply not as good as one would expect(not talking a $10 spend here, but $100's) from many great write ups. I am pretty picky and dont jump in anymore. I dont go too anal with stuff, just make sure its a need and have an application to use it .

I think what your experiencing pretty much comes part and parcel with a hobby or interest(both). Keep wanting or needing something a little more special, little more dedicated or custom keeps interest. Or we would nip out, buy a maglite and be done! But we want beautiful tint, perfect colour temp and UI to suit is. Not only that, exotic metals which have had human hands help make and not robots. If it is a dark hour, go grab a fav light and shed some light on why you go to all the trouble of finding that perfect light. After all, making a wrong decision is cheaper than buying the wrong house or marrying the wrong wife!!!!

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
The further I get into this hobby the more simple I become. I remember when I first got started I was enamored with the Zebralight UI; then I remember when the Sunwayman M40A came out with that magnetic control ring; then I remember buying my first Fenix 2xAA light and thinking "oh-my-God-strobe-is-amaaaaaaazing!"

Nowadays, I want three main things: quality, simplicity, and a decent value (this last term being quite subjective, I'll admit).

I think my current collection is all I need. One Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 and one beat-to-sh*t E01.

And okay, I'll admit it...lately I've been thinking that I do need a low-lumen single-mode high CRI El Capitan. :devil:

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Opposite problem here. Having collected dozens and dozens of lights in last 30+ years I'm absolutely not able to convince myself to sell even one. Sometimes I buy couple in same model and use one as gift, but selling the only remaining one in any model is just not in my power. I love sometimes to go through even the very old, often inefficient cheap lights and mod them in some new way. Selling will just take away the fun that that larger collection can provide. (BTW the very same story with knives). :popcorn:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought and sold a few in the quest for the perfect lights. (Notice the plural.) Somehow chasing flashlights keeps me sane, though it may be its own form of insanity.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're all quite mad here, so you're in good company. The pursuit of perfection is never-ending and upgrades don't necessarily yield the shock value we might hope unless your last upgrade was 10+ years ago.

ven

Flashaholic
We're all quite mad here, so you're in good company. The pursuit of perfection is never-ending and upgrades don't necessarily yield the shock value we might hope unless your last upgrade was 10+ years ago.

:faint:...........................................

The only difference between sanity and insanity is................in:)

:whistle:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen this many time on CPF in my relatively short time on here. It is why I have the collection I do. One light for each purpose and I can go around and around to fit the "light curiosity" for that moment in time....and then start all over again.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Opposite problem here. Having collected dozens and dozens of lights in last 30+ years I'm absolutely not able to convince myself to sell even one. Sometimes I buy couple in same model and use one as gift, but selling the only remaining one in any model is just not in my power. I love sometimes to go through even the very old, often inefficient cheap lights and mod them in some new way. Selling will just take away the fun that that larger collection can provide. (BTW the very same story with knives). :popcorn:

I'm with this guy.... lights are a new fetish for me, but I have collected stuff with a wreckless abandon since I was a kid and sought after railroad telegraph wire glass insulators... and soda bottles on days no insulators were found. I got switched a few times for lurking near the railroad tracks but did it anyway knowing the consequences.

Through my teens I collected Hot Wheels cars and skateboard paraphinalia. My 20's was still full soda bottles from 1960's back. Also old NASCAR memorabelia and model cars.

My 30's were a kinda dry spell due to some struggles so I collected stickers mostly. Well that and music CD's. An $8 CD could keep me entertained in my apartment for weeks while sewing patches on old jeans or writing story books for kids (that I never got around to completing)

My 40's was more stickers and sneakers. Yes I collected sneakers. And late 40's was the bicycle collection. I met my wife at 41 and together we collected film and digital cameras.

At 50 I collected Honda Preludes, but finding storage for those was an issue... kinda big to fit in my living room so by Prelude #9 they got sold. All but one.

At 51 I began collecting flashlights. For work at first. The whole quest for best tint, most lumens or fancy interface never really was a motive. Instead I've been collecting "purposed" lighting tools. Actually that began while restoring those Preludes where finding a dropped screw or viewing a hose clamp in a very crowded engine bay taught me the virtues of flooders vs pencil beams and various outputs vs sunlight. Also seeking info about inline wiring LED lamps into incan circuitry for auto interior lighting is how I ended up here.

I often gave away stuff collected over the years, but not really sold anything. I gave away most of my insulators, and soda bottles. As the kids grew into them I gave away many pairs of sneakers my NASCAR and my HotWheels stuff. Most of the stickers and CD's were given away along with some of the cameras. Several bicycles were gifted and I gave the Preludes to my oldest son so he could sell them to fund his resto-mod Prelude while paying most of his minimum wage earnings for rent and groceries. The last 2 Christmas' I thinned out the flashlight accumulation a bit. But at some point a bunch of the relics will be donated to a museum (with the history of each one attached). Some, which are super rare or one-of-a-kind type will be kept as inheritances.

My parents learned while I was young, that I had some kind of OCD thing and would pay a heavy price to obtain items the voices talked me into. So by the time I was 12 they stayed out of my way or even lended a hand in the process.

One day while in my early 40's my dad saw the UPS man drop off a 48" skateboard deck and asked me "when are you going to grow up?" to which I remarked "when you do".... he had a perplexed look on his face. I said "you have at least 9 Colt 45 1911's and bought yourself a 4 wheeler at 72". My mom collected antique glassware, furniture and Avon stuff. At one point she collected housplants and antique dolls. My grandma (my mom's mom) collected stuff including automobiles and lawnmowers at one point. So it was both nature and nuture. At one point my grandmother collected antique magazines and when she passed we found a stash of various eggshells from various birds.

Now regarding your plight GG, it's understandable that the older flashlight ends up being missed. Although there is all kinds of charts n graphs stating the updates are better there is a charm to what was produced a few years ago. And like life in general the one that raised a smile a few years ago will always be the benchmark to which we judge all other lights by. It's human nature. Sometimes a certain sight or smell subconciously takes you back to a simpler time too. Like when you pass through the ladies section at JC Penny and a particular perfume brings back memories of Christmas morning when you were 10, or the beam of a flashlight causes you to reminisce the 22 blumens of an old ARC....

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome read mr fixer, now i know more on why mr fixer is so cool.................his dad is also a cool dude:cool: Growing up is boring, look at how much fun you had when a kid.................why change that!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't enable me sir!! Honestly I've been the way I am since being a kid as well. I'd get obsessed with something and research it and yearn for it, and then when I got it, the magic was gone. So the saga continues with lights. Luckily I've been able to sell, and then see if the urge comes back and perhaps buy again. I've done this with my Malkoff 2aa which I now have in neutral and that light will not go anywhere. I've biught and sold multiple MDC AA as well and that's another one I'll Prob pick up again at some point. I'm begging gene to make me one with the warm led that's in the m31w but that hasn't happened yet. So now I'm trying to think back to what I thought about lights like the Eiger that made me sell them and stick with my E01s so I can decide if it's worth buying another one. Bykfixer I'm curious to see what you do with that MDC and VME head since you mentioned turning it into a jewel thief. QUOTE=bykfixer;5167334]I'm anticipating the arrival of a gurdygurds tried it and sold it custom Malkoff build and will say this....
If he ever wants it back he's got first dibs.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll never get rid of my novatacs and ra twisty's. but i do pull them out once in a while. even though i have smaller and more powerful, and i am planning on buying more

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, propinquity is key: The more I use certain possessions, the more I am inclined to desire to use them; to wit, when I seldom use lights, the attachment to them fades, though I do find it difficult to let them go completely (sell or trade them). Current most used (favored?) lights are a Malkoff Wildcat 2900K MT-G2 high CRI on low and a single red LED Streamlight Night Com, which I cannot recommend highly enough for evening excursions to the potty or for a post-midnight snack. :)

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
post-midnight snack

Isn't every snack a post-midnight snack?

Nice use of "propinquity," by the way--we should all try to use some vocabulary antithetic to typical tweet vernacular, at least every once in awhile.