HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrunite TC20

Default Re: Thrunite TC20

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    That's good indeed. It definitely makes this light very useful. Then the question is if the high mode really is ~1800lm and what runtime it could be. I would like that it actually had been significantly lower for the sake of runtime and heat issues.
    Yea, they really should have added a 700ish level. I can say the light does not heat up at all on 320...runs great, staying surprisingly cool.

700lm doesnt look twice as bright as 350 lumens, its not linear for the eyes

Quote Originally Posted by totobel View Post
    700lm doesnt look twice as bright as 350 lumens, its not linear for the eyes
    True, think I have read it takes 3X. We are focused on a max brightness level without heating the battery and electronics.

I sprayed just a hair of WD-40 in the head and tailcap/spring area. And cleaned N greased the threads. The light is now working very well on high and turbo. Can now see a noticable difference between the two levels...and no flickering and red light. Starting to like this bright little light. Also thinking the 38 lumen 46 hour runtime level could be very useful should the power go out for an extended time...as can happen occasionally down here in Florida from storms. Makes for a nice ceiling bounce room light level.

Can it keep the high level forever without stepdown ?

Quote Originally Posted by totobel View Post
    Can it keep the high level forever without stepdown ?
    Apparently, according to this review. I have not tried it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4AqgZOKvg

Wow the specs seem amazing especially considering it can run at 1,800 lumens sustained for 2hrs 25mins per a review on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-Rech...=thrunite+tc20

Just need to see some beam shot comparisons.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    Wow the specs seem amazing especially considering it can run at 1,800 lumens sustained for 2hrs 25mins per a review on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-Rech...=thrunite+tc20

Just need to see some beam shot comparisons.
    Still this specification is misleading because it means until the output is 10% of initial, consequently 180lm.
    I would be very happy if 1800lm is sustainable for 1hour. I guess more likely 40-50min.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 01-19-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Flashaholic*

The only way to tell if it steps down or not for sure(thermally regulated or timed step-down) is when someone does a runtime/output graph with a light meter. Our eyes are terrible at seeing changes in brightness, especially when it happens over time.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-19-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    The only way to tell if it steps down or not for sure(thermally regulated or timed step-down) is when someone does a runtime/output graph with a light meter. Our eyes are terrible at seeing changes in brightness, especially when it happens over time.
    That's definitely true. I would say that usually we don't notice a 30% decline if it occurs gradually, and in some cases not even a halvening. A luxmeter is good to have.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeams3 View Post
    Anyone want to recommend a reasonably priced 26650 protected battery for backup to this light? I don't see one available on Thrunite's website. Or, should I wait cause not all 26650 cells are the same dimensions?
    For what it's worth, I sent email to Thrunite, asking if they had or would have batteries available separately for the TC20 and according to Julia, they do not. She did say that the Nitecore NI2650DW would be OK.

Unenlightened

I just got my TC20 today and am very impressed with it. I have been a long time user of Zebralights but may carry this one a lot in the future. Does anyone know where you could get a pocket clip that would fit the larger body of this light? Is is around 33mm so most of the 18650 body clips will be too small. I have a carpendar side pant pocket that I carry in and this thing fits perfect. Just need a clip to keep it secure. I looked to see if anyone put a clip on their R50 or TM03 but didnít find anything. Any ideas? Thanks

ThruNite's TC20 26650 battery is rated at 18.5Wh and Olight's 18650 3600 mAH battery is rated at 12.9 Wh. I don't know the weights of either of those batteries, but was thinking that from a battery weight vs. watt hour standpoint, the 18650 would be about twice as efficient as the best 26650s. Am I correct?
    Last edited by Zonk; 01-21-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
    ThruNite's TC20 26650 battery is rated at 18.5Wh and Olight's 18650 3600 mAH battery is rated at 12.9 Wh. I don't know the weights of either of those batteries, but was thinking that from a battery weight vs. watt hour standpoint, the 18650 would be about twice as efficient as the best 26650s. Am I correct?
    Nope In high current application a good 18650 cell is roughly only half the capacity of a good 26650 cell:

Last edited by vadimax; 01-22-2018 at 03:49 AM.

From an overall lumen standpoint (adjusted for battery weight), would two 18650s likely be better suited to maximize lumens in the medium mode?

Are battery watt hours meaningless with regard to maximum overall lumen (when comparing a flashlight like the Marauder that uses 18650s with the TC20 which uses a 26650)?
    Last edited by Zonk; 01-23-2018 at 03:34 AM.

I received my Thrunite TC20 today. There is something odd in the UI that I was not expecting and I'm wondering whether my sample has a glitch or if all the TC20's have the same UI. When I have the light in low for more than four seconds, then press and hold, it will go to medium as expected. When I have it in high for more than four seconds, then press and hold, it will go to low as expected. But when I have the light in medium for more than four seconds, then press and hold, instead of going to high as expected, it goes to low, then press and hold to medium, then press and hold to high. In other words it seems when it is in medium for long enough for memory to kick in, then next press and hold always takes it to low instead of going to high as I would have expected it to. Could some of you who also received your TC20 please check and see if your light goes to low next, or goes to high next when left in medium for more than four seconds, then press and hold. No big deal, I could live with the UI as it is, just curious to know if mine has a glitch or if they all work like this. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Flash-O-Maniac; 01-25-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Flashaholic*

FOM - No glitch, it's standard/normal UI for Thrunite.

Thanks seery - appreciate your response.

Flashaholic*

Yes, it's the same with TN models with same switch. Actually I like it and prefer it because I don't need to cycle through high mode if I want to step down from mid mode. In a case when I need instant high brightness a double click will give turbomode from any brightness level.

Is there any type of electronic lockout on this light? I saw a video on youtube and it gets to the point where the tailcap will fall off to be able to lockout the light, which is to say it would be best to remove the battery if throwing this light in a pack.
    Click Here to view my lights

Flashaholic*

Sadly, there is no ELO on the TC20.

Quote Originally Posted by moshow9 View Post
    Is there any type of electronic lockout on this light? I saw a video on youtube and it gets to the point where the tailcap will fall off to be able to lockout the light, which is to say it would be best to remove the battery if throwing this light in a pack.
    The guy doing the video realized his mistake and corrected it. It's not the tailcap you twist for lockout, just a slight twist at the head end and it's locked out...works great!

Also many videos show folks trying to open the rubber USB flap the wrong way...wrong end...I did too. But it's the other end...opens easily, once you know da trick...lol.

I have come to really like the light...great all around, general use light. And bright as heck.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 01-27-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Enlightened

Hi !
    I'm thinking about buying the TN20 to replace a Nitecore SRT7 which is not the best light for outdoor use.
    I'm just affraid it's too short to be handled tightly.
    Also, I don't like the Turbo for 3min approach and prefer thermo regulated lights such as the Zebralights. Is the TC20 thermo-regulated ? I see no mention of it.

I might go with the new SC600 mkIV or the Olight s5 Pro Seeker but the TN20 is much cheaper so it's worth questioning ...

Thank you !

Flashaholic*

Today I picked up the TC20 NW from post office. Very nice light and a bit more compact than I expected. Tint is good and the brightness level seem to be pretty correct compared to the stated. Yes; the difference between mid and high is almost 6 fold which is too big, mid could be 500lm, it had been better in my opinion.
    Apart from that it's a very nice light. The switch feels good and is distinct and the hold comfort is very good.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 01-29-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    Sadly, there is no ELO on the TC20.
    What is ELO ? Does it mean the light is not thermal regulated ?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kivatch View Post
    What is ELO?
    Electronic Lock Out

Thank you for the update Badbeams3, that makes it a possible option again.

What is ELO ? Does it mean the light is not thermal regulated ?
    ELO stands for electronic lockout. Some lights can be mechanically locked out by breaking the battery connection with a twist of the tailcap (typically), or in this case slightly loosening the body from the head. Some lights can be electronically locked say a double press of the switch, or a press and hold of the switch, while the light is off. For a light that has electronic lockout, it will use an electronic switch and not a traditional clicky switch. In a light that has an electronic switch there will always be parasitic drain on the battery, as there is still a slight current being pulled while the light is off. A mechanical lockout will break the current. Both lockouts work to prevent accidental activation.
    Click Here to view my lights

Quote Originally Posted by moshow9 View Post
    Thank you for the update Badbeams3, that makes it a possible option again.

ELO stands for electronic lockout. Some lights can be mechanically locked out by breaking the battery connection with a twist of the tailcap (typically), or in this case slightly loosening the body from the head. Some lights can be electronically locked say a double press of the switch, or a press and hold of the switch, while the light is off. For a light that has electronic lockout, it will use an electronic switch and not a traditional clicky switch. In a light that has an electronic switch there will always be parasitic drain on the battery, as there is still a slight current being pulled while the light is off. A mechanical lockout will break the current. Both lockouts work to prevent accidental activation.
    Thank you ! I ended up buying an EagleTac because the TC20 does not feature thermal regulation. I need this feature because I tend to use my lights in both warm or very cold environments. I really liked the TC20 form factor though.

Here is a nice piece of information about the TC20 (in German, but just use the translate option of Chrome ...) :
    https://www.lilahand.de/2018/01/16/l...thrunite-tc20/

Thank you ! I ended up buying an EagleTac because the TC20 does not feature thermal regulation. I need this feature because I tend to use my lights in both warm or very cold environments. I really liked the TC20 form factor though.

Here is a nice piece of information about the TC20 (in German, but just use the translate option of Chrome ...) :
    https://www.lilahand.de/2018/01/16/l...thrunite-tc20/
    Wow, I'm surprised how well it performs at 1800 lumens. No drop off till 85ish minutes.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeams3 View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised how well it performs at 1800 lumens. No drop off till 85ish minutes.
    !!!

Thanks for that information! This was far above what I dared to expect! It also shows that the efficiency of 2nd gen. XHP70 is higher than I could imagine. I am already very pleased with TC20 and this new information definitely makes it even better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast