Looking for my next edc light (Surefire Titan Plus alternative?)

Liisrandom

Newly Enlightened
Let me lead off with that I have a pretty good idea of what I want but will consider any recommendations. My first light was a Foursevens Mini M2a- Pocket clip tore into everything I brushed up against and maybe a tad too long? I was also not a huge fan of the twist head switch. Second was my Thrunite TC12- too big for my tastes and only carry with a coat or around the house. I really liked having the momentary tail clicky switch and firefly mode. I know I didn't like the twist head switch on the m2a, but I've been considering the Surefire Titan Plus for the past couple months since it seemed like a pretty nice package overall besides the switch. It looks durable and easy to EDC, but it seemed to get a lot of negative reviews on here so I wanted to see what you guys thought is a good competitor for the price. Thanks in advance!1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)____I don't know yet____Up to $25.____Up to $50.__x__Up to $100.____Up to $200.____Up to $300.____Essentially unlimited.3) Format:____I am not sure, please help me decide.__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).____I want a self-contained headlamp.____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)____I want a lantern/area light.____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).____Other ____________________________________________4) Size:_x___MICRO - Keychain size._x__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.____I don't know/I don't care.5) Emitter/Light source:__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)____I don't know.6) Manufacturer:__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).7) What power source do you want to use?____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)__x__I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)____I don't care8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).__x__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).__x__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)___x_I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.__x__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.__x__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)_x___Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)__x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)__x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).____I don't know.12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):____Any size switch will do.____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).__x__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).__x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)____I don't care.____I don't know.____Other, please specify____________________.13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)____I want a programmable light.____I want a selector ring.____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)____I don't care.____I don't know.14)Material/Finish/Coating____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly)._x___Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).__x__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).____I don't care.____I don't know.____Other, please specify____________.15) Water resistance____None needed____IPX4 (Splash resistant)__x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)16) Storage conditions____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)____Emergency kit (long standby periods)____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)____Other_________________________________________ ____17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.____Red filter (for preserving night vision).____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)__x__Pocket/belt clip____Holster____Wrist/Neck Lanyard____Crenulated bezel____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments