Has anyone gotten a Maratac Peanut or PCL light?

racerford

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have experience with either light? I am intrigued by them. Especially the PCL which puts out a claimed 305 lumens from a light 1.6 inches long.

Are there other lights out there like these Have I missed trend?

Thank you for any comments on them.

racerford

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised that with 181 views, that there has been no response. As many people that buy Maratac on here, I figured at least one person would of have gotten one or the other. Or one of the other manufacturers that must have the same configuration. I will do some searches for those.

Thanks for the views anyway.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Well I, for one, just saw this thread...

Yes I have both, the Peanut in brass and the PCL in copper. They're a bit different than your typical "twist to activate" lights as you screw them down part of the way to activate low then continue to screw them down completely to switch to high. This leaves the head unscrewed far enough while in the off position that, for the peanut, it's almost a little too far, a little loose on the o-ring. They suggest adding a second o-ring to counteract that but, at least as of the time of my purchase, it doesn't come that way. In contrast, the PCL does come with two o-rings installed and it's quite solid.

The PCL also has a much more attractive and functional knurling design. And yes, the power of the little thing is impressive. Even though the peanut is significantly smaller than the PCL, I find myself grabbing the PCL way more often, like it much better. And a friend of mine fell in love with it and got one of his own.

racerford

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the response. Does the PCL heat up fast, ad the output drop after a couple of minutes? Does the time duration for hi (40 min) and low (9 hrs) seem to be in line with their specifications? Thanks again for your help.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
No it doesn't really heat up. After a few minutes you might feel a little warmth but nothing even close to approaching hot or uncomfortable to hold. I haven't noticed any output rampdown but that's a subjective observation, I'm not using measuring equipment. I have not tested the runtime durations.

I just checked out the countycomm website and they've got them for 50% off at the moment; that's a great deal, better than I got. Just get one, you'll like it, it's a great little light. And, unlike the Peanut, it's individually serialed (if that matters to you).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the output drop after a couple of minutes?... Does the time duration for hi (40 min)... in line with their specifications

thanks for making me aware of another copper light option. It looks nice, though I wish the recharge function did not require using a separate piece, that replaces the LED head, during charging.

fwiw, runtime as stated by flashlight vendors is not what you might think it means

40 minutes on High, does not mean 40 minutes of constant 305 lumens

It just means that the light will start out at the max level (on a fully charged cell), and immediately start declining towards 10% of initial brightness. That is how runtime is calculated, the total time it lasts until the brightness has dropped to 10%

also, the brightness level is often overstated, one reason is that there is a difference between OutTheFront lumens, which is less, and calculated LED lumens, which is more.

If you buy one of the lights, and have access to a light meter, you could educate us further on the real world lumen levels and runtimes.

racerford

Newly Enlightened
I could not resist the sale. If you take the actual price less the savings, it is like it is almost free. Or at least that is the math my wife uses when she buys shoes, so I am going with that.

I do not have a light meter, but I will report back after I get it. I have a couple of their Copper, and Titanium lights. AA and AAA. I like them.

I am not excited about the extra piece for charging, but it does keep it water resistant. I have heard that some people have accidentally had pocket light go through the wash....... water resistance is good. I bought spare batteries, that I intend to keep charged for swapping.

Typed on my cell phone while waiting by the mail box. I hope it doesn't get cold over the next few days!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats, way to step up with your wallet open

I look forward to your impressions of the 2 mode Copper 14250 light.

I have a few 10180 lights that have proven unreliable, plus several modded AAA Copper Maratacs, that I love.

love me some copper
32846189855_5999fc012e_b.jpg

38165700504_d0a17e0d54_b.jpg

Last edited:

racerford

Newly Enlightened
The Copper AAA Rev 4 Nichia is now slightly cheaper than the rev 5 Aluminum version. if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, or if you don't have a Nichia 219. I just got my first a AA Titanium, I like it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're right! the AAA Copper and the AA Copper are at really good prices right now, and Im a huge Nichia fan.

I have 6 of the AAA Copper Maratacs with 5 different color temperature Nichias :)

congrats on your AA Maratac, I really like the look of those, but have managed not to get one

Now Im trying not to buy another Copper CR123 Light.. wish me luck on that.. lol

Last edited:

racerford

Newly Enlightened
I got the light today. I forgot how nice the finish is on their copper lights. The finish is stunning.It is a brilliant shiny polished finish, that will never stay that way on a light that is actually carried. It is a chunky little light. About half the length of their AA light and the same diameter. So, short and stout. It has a kind of awkward head arrangement. It uses 2 O-rings on the head and it needs them. As it is a screw to turn on and adjust and it has no spring, it is unthreaded more than I would like to keep the light securely off. If you have it off you can press on the head to have it momentarily come on. That unless you screw it out even further. The extra bit to charge it is a pain, but necessary I would think to have it has some water resistance.

I bought a couple of extra batteries, and XL Pico pull in polycarbonate. I also had a Delrin AA holder. The XL Pico pull is too big in diameter for the battery and holds only one, with a lot of extra space, it rattles. The Delrin battery holder can carry two batteries nicely. It makes sense as they are 1/2 AA batteries.

The low level is a nice usable level. The high level is quite bright. I have no meters. It lists high as 305 Lumens. I have a new Maratac AA Titanium Nichia that was listed at 205 lumen IIRC. If that is accurate, then the 305 looks about right. It is brighter than the AA and of course a cooler white. It is less bright than the Maratac 2AA Extreme that I have and it was listed close to 600 lumens at the time. So at least the listed lumens appear to be consistent with their own ratings across their line of lights. Oh, the their AA light diffusers fit it fine. I tried it with a glow in the dark one and it worked well.

So far, I am pleased. I will have to carry and use it for a while to really tell. I have not tried runtimes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, although the head is basically the same diameter as the AA light, it does NOT have the same threading. The AA has a finer thread and it may be very slightly smaller. Also the PCL reflector is about 1/3 shorter than the AA. The head itself is about half the length of the AA head.

Last edited:

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Maratac SS Peanut as well as the CooYoo Quantum AL.

I can honestly say that the CooYoo is the one to get (although I should have gotten stainless). Maratac has a real reflector, glows in the dark, tail stands, etc. CooYoo does none of this.

However, CooYoo, although not a real lens and reflector, has a better beam pattern. It's also easier to turn on and off. It's precise when you go to off, low, high, whereas the Maratac you can turn it past high and it flikers off sometimes. The HUGE thing is that you don't need the extra piece to charge it! If anyone wants to know, the peanut by Maratac fits inside CountyComm's AA Delrin containers with its charger!

I'm not sure about the PCL by Maratac. If they make it in SS or AL I might buy.

Recommended: https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_228097.html

1498110060757961318.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a chunky little light. About half the length of their AA light and the same diameter. So, short and stout.
It would be interesting to see a photo with an AAA Maratac and if you also have, a CR123 Olight S Mini lined up

something like this maybe :)
l-r CR123, AAA, 10180
39516014002_c9250d660b_b.jpg

racerford

Newly Enlightened
OK, sorry for the slow response. I am embarrassed to say, I only have one CR123 light and it is a Surefire and I don't know where it is. I know I have some CR123 batteries somewhere, which I will find and check the XL Pico pull to see if it fits. It may be tight. I will figure out how to post a picture and then post say a Maratac AA, AAA, and the PCL. It may take a day or two.

It is interesting to hear about the Peanut light and charger fitting in a Delrin AA capsule. Thanks.

As an aside, I was surprised to see the AA Titanium Nichia has completely disappeared from the website. Not unavailable or sold out, gone.

I have not seen a PCL in Aluminum. Keep checking, things show up, and they usually get around to doing their small lights in all five metals AL, SS, Cu, Ti and Brass. Sometimes it takes a long while and runs can be short.

racerford

Newly Enlightened
First, Surefire CR123A primary battery just fits in my Polycarbonate XL Pico pull. It doe not rattle or move that I can tell. It is like they sized it to fit this battery.

I took a picture of the Maratac AA, AAA, and PCL plus the XL Pico Pull. I will see if I can get it to show up. Miracles have occurred, At least I can see it.

2eb8jsk.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
outstanding! now I get to buy a pico pull

really great photo, thanks
I will be curious to hear if the PCL functions reliably..

racerford

Newly Enlightened
outstanding! now I get to buy a pico pull

really great photo, thanks
I will be curious to hear if the PCL functions reliably..

Glad to help. I will try to use the PCL to see if I have problems.

For anyone else. Do not even test fit a battery in one of their many metal capsules. There is a chance you could make contact with both the positive and negative terminals to the metal of the capsule. Bad with most primary batteries, but I understand it could be catastrophic with a li-ion rechargeable. I am sure everyone is aware, but I state this out of an abundance of caution. It is possible you could insulate against this, but please be careful.

Remember it is the XL Pico Pull (oxymoron) that fits that CR123A battery. I know they are all supposed to be the same size, but that one just fit so another brand or a rechargeable might not.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember it is the XL Pico Pull (oxymoron) that fits that CR123A battery. I know they are all supposed to be the same size, but that one just fit so another brand or a rechargeable might not.

excellent detailed info, and I like your abundance of caution.
My caution makes me prefer the new USB rechargeables, so I don't have any chance of putting a non rechargeable on a stand alone charger, by mistake.

I will let you know if my rechargeables do not fit, they Are slightly longer (I put a credit card across the top of the two 16340 cells, so you can see the non rechargeable IS shorter):
l-r Olight non rechargeable, mecarmy protected 16340, Fenix protected plus usb 16340
38664712285_b3d5f75305_c.jpg

I will also test an unprotected 18350, but my guess is it won't fit due to being slightly fatter, though it is the same length as the rechargeables

Last edited:

racerford

Newly Enlightened
I am confident the 18350 will not fit in a XL Pico capsule. The website says 16.80 mm and I would say that is right on based on how the battery fit. depth is stated as 33.30 mm, I would say the 16x34mm battery fit due to the o-ring creating a bit of depth. I would say the bottom is 33.3mm deep and you get a little space in the cap.

I am currently running a battery life test on high. No light meter so I am using the AA Nichia as a gauge. stayed as bright as initial turn on high on the AA (listed as 205 lumens) until about 35 minutes. About matched medium (45 lumens) at about 42 minutes and went down to the AA low level (5 lumens) at about 50 minutes.

For the first 15 minutes I left it untouched on high, and then picked it up to see how hot it got. Barely holdable. I kept in may hand for the next 15 minutes to help dissipate heat. It stayed hot to warm that whole time, but holding it did keep the temperature down. I stopped at 60 minutes and it was still producing usable light (1-2 lumens) at that point.

EDIT. I just noticed they have battery holders that fit the CR123A 16x34mm batteries the bottom seems identical to the XL Pico Pull but the lid is different to make it easier to open, maybe. It lists Delrin in Black, but it shows sold out. Interesting it shows a picture of a Polycarbonate one, but no listing.

Last edited: