Improved, long life flow battery electrolyte, non toxic, non corrosive.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-02/hjap-nlf020917.php

"Because we were able to dissolve the electrolytes in neutral water, this is a long-lasting battery that you could put in your basement," said Gordon. "If it spilled on the floor, it wouldn't eat the concrete and since the medium is noncorrosive, you can use cheaper materials to build the components of the batteries, like the tanks and pumps."

"This work on aqueous soluble organic electrolytes is of high significance in pointing the way towards future batteries with vastly improved cycle life and considerably lower cost,"

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seen a lot of battery tech promised over the years, but while interesting in theory, I don't think that 'tank' batteries are going to work all that well in our flashlights?

Chris

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is more of a home power storage tech than a hand held device power supply, but it certainly applies to candlepower.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but I've seen a ton of "breakthough battery tech" over the years, and absolutely none of it has been commercially produced. I can only think of a couple of significant battery developments over the past few decades:

1. Lithium-ion batteries. 'Nuff said.

2. Low-self-discharge NiMH tech. Finally replaces the need for alkalines (even though Duracell and Energizer will never let that cash-cow die).

The only somewhat recent tech I can see having some more commercial value in the future is super-capacitors. Not as a battery replacement, but to enhance chemical batteries.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Lithium is the third element on the periodic table and carries a free electron. Plain physics.

PeterH

Newly Enlightened
I thought lithium electrodes would have a problem reacting with water, releasing hydrogen.