How to change the default charge rate of c9000

slideways666

Newly Enlightened
Hi all... So i have been reading around... I see that you want to charge your Nihm Batteries at .5*Capacity.... And Discharge @ .2*Capacity...

Every time i put a AAA into my c9000 charger -- it just defaults to 1000 charge rate.. Is there a way to reset the default discharge rate for AAA batteries? Or do i have to manually set the charge rate every time im charging a battery?

Thanks..

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Slideways666,

Welcome to CPF.

Sorry, no way to change the default. It was set up for AA cells. With AAA cells you need to do some button pushing.

Tom

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maha C9000 is a button pushing charger.

If you don't like pushing buttons, then it's not for you.

After a while, you'll get pretty fast at it.

Chris

slideways666

Newly Enlightened
Chris and silver.. thanks for your response... well shoot... no wonder my aaa's all died when i started using the c9000..hammering them with 1000mah to charge... Do you guys know if there is a "smart" charger that i can get that i can either set or it automatically goes to the desired charge levels depending on if you put aaa/aa anything else in there.... I cant believe that the c9000 doesnt default down to 500mah or .5 capacity automatically.. seems like that should be default for any size.. regardless if its D or AAA...

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I cant believe that the c9000 doesnt default down to 500mah or .5 capacity automatically.. seems like that should be default for any size....

So, part of the issue is that there is no easy / fast / accurate way for a charger to determine the cell capacity.

And as for choosing a default charge current, the makers of the C9000 probably thought (on a reasonable basis) that the "average" or typical user would be charging AA >> AAA

While that may not be the case for any particular individual of course (as an example, I use my own C9000 to charge tiny NiMH N cells much more than either AA or AAA) , as others have noted, it is extremely easy to change to a more appropriate charging current with just a few button presses immediately following insertion of the cells :shrug:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maha states in my C9000 manual, that NiMH batteries (in their minds) should be charged at greater than .30C, to avoid a missed termination, so for a 2000mAh NiMH, or even their 2700mAh batteries, 500mA might not trigger the temperature to achieve termination.

Just a guess.

Chris

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maha C9000 had a problem with missed termination when it was launched 10 year`s ago, So they added a maximum capacity of 4000mah then it stops charging, this does not affect break-in mode.

John.