New 18650s (or: how to not blow myself up)

radioactive_man

Enlightened
My AW 2900 mAh 18650s are getting a little long in the teeth, so I'm looking to replace them. It's been a while since I've bought new batteries, so I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

1. I have always been told that the IMR chemistry wont start a fire if the cell fails catastrophically. Is this correct? And is the INR chemistry as safe as the IMR chemistry? If not, what is the main difference?

2. Would it be safe to run unprotected INRs in single cell lights? I generally use a high quality charger (Xtar VP or VC series or Nitecore SC series) and I almost never run my lights dry. I also pay attention to the voltage reported by the charger when the charge cycle has ended.

3. Would it be safe to run unprotected INRs in multi cell lights? I wouldn't put cells in a light if they differ more than 0.02 volts when they come off the charger and I almost never run my lights dry.

4. Would Sony VTC6 or Samsung 30Q be a good choice? My lights don't draw a lot of current, but I want to be able to charge single cells fast on a Nitecore SC4 and it's my understanding that INR allow for faster charging.

5. I have a couple of Eagtac 3500 mAh in my Olight M3XS-UT. Which kind of cells are these? NCR18650GA? What chemistry are those and what's the maximum safe recharging rate?
BmGKERP.jpg

Help me not burn down my house. Batteries are so confusing these days ;)

/radioactive_man

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
1: yes they can catch fire(they still have a flammable electrolyte) but need to be at a higher temp to do so and are safer. INR is a hybrid chemistry and are still relatively safe
2: yes
3: yes. They don't even have to be that close. I usually run them in series even if they're not the same cell but close. .1 of a volt even is no big deal
4:personally I think these are the two best cells on the market. Especially the 30q but I prefer Samsung cells over any other
5: they're are probably the GA cell and are rated for 10A. I never charge any cell over 2A but there's never a reason for me to do so. I have so many cells there's never a situation where I don't have backup charged cells