Olight - S1 - MINI        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So right now (end of 2017) are there any LED headlights that beat HID?

Default Re: So right now (end of 2017) are there any LED headlights that beat HID?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom23 View Post
    That's because of the incredible light density - HIDs are very easy to focus to throw far (smaller light source=better focus).
    Most automotive HID light source arcs are larger than most automotive filaments, and all automotive HID light source arcs are much bigger than automotive LED light sources. This looks like you might have assumed car headlamps are just like flashlights. They aren't.

With LEDs you need multiple emitters to achieve similar brightness but it means much higher surface area. That's why properly designed HID reflector is still far superior to the LED one. Basically all cars with LEDs have very short beam range
    Zero percent of this is correct.

The only advantage of LEDs as for now is the ability to make adjustable beam/matrix headlights
    Also zero percent.

which are still far from perfect (slow computers)
    LOL! Slow computers, right.

Seriously...stop. There are enough experts on this forum that when you make stuff up like this, when you pull baseless claims and bogus statements out of the dark and post them like they're facts, the only possible end result is that you're going to get called out on it, and then you won't look very informed or authoritative...kind of the opposite of what you were probably trying to achieve. It's best for everyone (including you) if you please refrain from this kind of juvenile behavior on here.
    Last edited by -Virgil-; 01-09-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Default Re: So right now (end of 2017) are there any LED headlights that beat HID?

Well this turned into a good popcorn read (with some good info if you pick through it). I had to laugh at the slow computers though, as they use computer's/modules to adjust the suspension to road dynamics in real time. Surely the adaptive headlight system's are just as responsive. My cx-5 is close to instantaneous on its turning biased headlights. Turn the wheel the light on that side turns with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonOk View Post
    Surely the adaptive headlight system's are just as responsive. My cx-5 is close to instantaneous on its turning biased headlights. Turn the wheel the light on that side turns with it.
    Turning the headlamp with the wheel isn't quite as computationally expensive as scanning the road ahead, determining a field where drivers' eyes will be, and then shutting off or attenuating that part of the beam that would reach those eyes (and moving that shading appropriately) while still keeping the rest of the load lit as if by the full high beam. That's pretty complicated, but even so, it's a relative breeze compared with trying to do that with the "automotive-durable" computing systems 15-20 years ago.

Unenlightened

Very interesting and informative thread. I have literally been googling this very topic the last few weeks, and not gotten a lot of good info.

I have been visiting this site for about a year now off and on just expanding my knowledge and have learned a lot!

I did not realize that some of the factory led systems had actually surpassed the HID ones. I say some as I have gathered from this site that the factory Ford led system on the f150 was not actually very good, is that correct?

I see that the 2016+ Silverado comes with factory hid (25w?) or factory led on the upper models. Which is better? Are the led ones better on the Silverado being the HID I think is only 25w?

Also the wife has been interested in the newer Cadillac CT6. The CT6 comes with led. How does this compare to say the CTS hid, or even her current 2013 buick lacrosse factory hid? I have a 2007 Corvette and have allways thought the hid (low beam only) was better than her low beam. Is this possibly because the vette projector bowl is set up for only low where as the buick (or other bi-xenon) systems is set up for both?

Love this site!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12