Single Primary CR123A Pocket Thrower

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd love to get 15k cd but 10k cd is doable. I don't mind a tir type lens but I don't like a pencil beam. Need some spill. No rechargeable battery option please. Must run on CR123A primary. Newer 1 X CR123A Surefire throwers are excessively large. I prefer something no wider tha Zebralight sc62.

Lots of floody options but not much available with some throw. I use a MH20GT but it is just too big and heavy

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any one cell throwers, but the Nitecore P20 is a nice compact thrower that uses one 18650 or two CR123/16440 cells. One inch body, two and a half inch head. Makes for a nice center beam hot spot with just the right amount of spill around it without overpowering your eyes so you can't see details at a distance. Think of a 6P with one of the old turbo heads on it. It rides well on my belt when I am carrying it as an extra light.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I use the LensLight Mini ... not sure if that is bright enough for what you are wanting, though ?

Could do the LL K.O. for more output, but that's 2x CR123A ....

jkevind11

Newly Enlightened
Check out Surefire EB1 Backup . The 200 lumen version . Between 10-12 k cd I've read in reviews . When comparing much higher Lumen lights the EB1 has definite much brighter spot .
Maybe too large though . Just know it's a lot of throw .

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't know of any one cell throwers, but the Nitecore P20 is a nice compact thrower that uses one 18650 or two CR123/16440 cells. One inch body, two and a half inch head. Makes for a nice center beam hot spot with just the right amount of spill around it without overpowering your eyes so you can't see details at a distance. Think of a 6P with one of the old turbo heads on it. It rides well on my belt when I am carrying it as an extra light.
Way, WAY too big. Sorry. Try to keep to requested size. Head less than 1 inch. Must carry comfortably in my pocket. Must be able to sit with it comfortably in my pocket. As I said neither longer nor wider at any point than Zebralight sc62.

Thanks for participating!

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Check out Surefire EB1 Backup . The 200 lumen version . Between 10-12 k cd I've read in reviews . When comparing much higher Lumen lights the EB1 has definite much brighter spot .
Maybe too large though . Just know it's a lot of throw .
Yup too big and if course no longer available.

jkevind11

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Backup Click Switch Dual Output LED Flashlight, Black

Last edited by a moderator:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The old Backup is slimmer, but not sure if it puts out the candela the OP wants. They can easily be had on the auction site :)
Looking for a brand new light and yes I have tried pocket carrying it and it is uncomfortable for me. Biggest light I can comfortably carry is sc62. The key is the width. 1 inch wide is just uncomfortable sitting down with light clipped in front pocket.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey maybe take a look at the FourSevens Mini MK. II Turbo. Width is the same as the SC62 at 0.96 of an inch. It's definitely shorter, so should carry comfortably, and has quite the throw.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically the Mini MK. II Turbo is it for great throw with a tiny head and CR123, and can still be acquired from third party sources

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, you will not be able to get a light much slimmer than 1". The CR123 cell is 16mm itself. add a mm for clearance and two more for the thinnest body walls possible and you are up to 19mm. That is only six mm short of your 1" max, and frankly, 6mm isn't that much of a difference.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to accept a light 1mm wider than your Zebralight, the Nitecore EC11 comes very close to fitting your requirements. 9Kcd, with a rated throw of 190m. It's only 3.62" long, so it is nice and compact. I EDC its cousin, the EA11, which I run with a 14500 cell for the same output. I usually carry it on my belt, where I don't normally even notice it, but I have carried it in my front jean pocket without any problems.

ven

Flashaholic
First light that sprung to mind the mk II mini turbo head, so i guess a +3 now. Send to vinh, get maybe an xpl HI thrown in if it is not "throwy" enough out of the box.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you are willing to accept a light 1mm wider than your Zebralight, the Nitecore EC11 comes very close to fitting your requirements. 9Kcd, with a rated throw of 190m. It's only 3.62" long, so it is nice and compact. I EDC its cousin, the EA11, which I run with a 14500 cell for the same output. I usually carry it on my belt, where I don't normally even notice it, but I have carried it in my front jean pocket without any problems.
Is that a one x CR123A number?

recDNA

Flashaholic
First light that sprung to mind the mk II mini turbo head, so i guess a +3 now. Send to vinh, get maybe an xpl HI thrown in if it is not "throwy" enough out of the box.
Vinh doesn't really build for primaries. I like a single width. Turbo heads are uncomfortable for the same reason new 1 X CR123A Surefires are - too wide at head.

Does Mini even come with a clip? Can't imagine even the turbo with primary throws very far. As I said in initial post probably need a lens light not a reflector.

The best pick I know of is the old Surefire 200 lumen thrower EB1. Just hoping some other lenser type light out there that isn't so wide at the head. Even a small difference matters. The sc600 is uncomfortable for me but the sc62 is fine.

Last edited: