I love my Acebeam EC50 Gen II (5000K) - mini, non-technical review

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I took this light out for its maiden voyage last night. I'm using it for nighttime durian gathering in the Singapore jungle.

Form factor: A+ It's compact and super comfortable to hold in the hand. My hands are small, so I can't handle those multi-cell coke-can form factor lights comfortably (and they're too heavy as well). Even on turbo, it's not too hot to hold comfortably (I am wearing cycling gloves though). In somewhere with a colder climate I'm guessing it would be even better.

Illumination: It's very floody, which is great for sweeping a lot of ground, but due to its sheer power, it also throws far enough to illuminate the tall trees well. The 5000K color is perfect for lighting up the jungle and very pleasant to the eyes.

Runtime: I'm using it on turbo mostly, and runtime exceeds one hour on LiitoKala batteries. I did not time it, but I'm sure it's at least one hour. Low battery warning comes on at exactly 3V. I have not tried the Acebeam battery that came with it yet, but I expect that to be at least as good.

UI: I've set the memory to toggle between off and high, with double-click for turbo. This is nice and simple since the low and medium are less useful to me in this usage scenario. Strobe is also out of the way, requiring a triple-click.

Misc: The holster is well made and easy to pull the light out from - not too tight. In-light charging is nice to have, but generally I'm using my Xstar VC4 for charging duties. Still nice to know I can charge in the car or at a friend's house if needed.

Now for the only drawback: The side switch is very flat and can be hard to locate by feel. I'm thinking of sticking something on it to make it protrude a bit more.

This light is certainly a keeper! A near-perfect light for my usage scenario. The fruits of my labor:

295qr6t.jpg

-adept1

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 26650 sized lights are going to be big sellers going forward, offering great run times and high brightness in a nice form factor. And I think 26650 battery capacities might go up a bit in the future.

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I think the 26650 sized lights are going to be big sellers going forward, offering great run times and high brightness in a nice form factor. And I think 26650 battery capacities might go up a bit in the future.

Agree that it's a great form factor. Even nicer to hold than 18650. However, since 18650 batteries seemed to have plateaued at about 3400, I don't see how 26650 can go beyond 5000 (in fact, by my stupid math they should be around 4850 now assuming the same size to capacity ratio of 18650). I could be oversimplifying things though.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree that it's a great form factor. Even nicer to hold than 18650. However, since 18650 batteries seemed to have plateaued at about 3400, I don't see how 26650 can go beyond 5000 (in fact, by my stupid math they should be around 4850 now assuming the same size to capacity ratio of 18650). I could be oversimplifying things though.

I'm not sure how to do the math. The length is the same...the diameter goes from 18 to 26. I know pie would be in the equation. Hmm...the area of the 18...254.47 vs the 26...530.93 https://www.google.com/search?gs_ivs=1&q=calculating+the+area+of+a+circle#tts=0

So a bit more than doubled. So...if the max capacity of the 18650 is 3500...then the max capacity of the 26650....7000?? And we are currently seeing 5000ish??

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how to do the math. The length is the same...the diameter goes from 18 to 26. I know pie would be in the equation. Hmm...the area of the 18...254.47 vs the 26...530.93 https://www.google.com/search?gs_ivs=1&q=calculating+the+area+of+a+circle#tts=0

So a bit more than doubled. So...if the max capacity of the 18650 is 3500...then the max capacity of the 26650....7000?? And we are currently seeing 5000ish??

I was never good at math :) I'll take your word for this one!

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Thanks for posting your impressions. I'm also becoming interested in 26650 lights. Still pocketable and so much run time. I think it's a great option for XHP lights rather than going multi-18650.