The Non-Volatile Variable Storage is About Full

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Lenovo X230T tablet/laptop which I installed Phoenix OS on.

Phoenix is a type of Android OS designed to work on x86 and 64-bit hardware, i.e., "regular" Intel/AMD laptop and desktop computers.

I had an absolute ball playing with it yesterday, as it was very light and very, very fast, and a few of the apps I tried in the "Google Play" store worked well. The fact it is touchscreen combines the best of the tablet experience with a real, physical keyboard for typing and surfing.

However, when I came home from a trip yesterday evening to the Hudson River to watch the ice floes, the tablet had crashed and wouldn't start, exhibiting the following error:

The non-volatile variable storage is about full

I wiped the hard drive, filling every sector with zeroes, and then tried Bliss OS, another Android flavor designed for x86 devices.

I encountered the same problem.

Google is not particularly helpful and I do not know how to proceed.

I think it has something to do with the difference between UEFI and Legacy BIOS booting, but, wouldn't wiping the hard drive clear resolve the issue, especially if every sector was filled with zeroes?

I know enough to know when I am out of my league.

A few hits on Google seem to indicate something about early implementations of UEFI being buggy, but, I have no idea what that means or how to go about fixing it. I am not new to working with computers, but my usual solution is to simply wipe the hard drive and start over, and that isn't resolving the issue.

*scratches head*

Does anyone have any idea how to proceed?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for posting. That was among the many articles I scoured on Google prior to beginning the thread.

I wanted to wait a week just to make sure, but:

I reset my BIOS to defaults and that seemed to "clear" everything out. I immediately disabled UEFI capabilities and have been booting as "Legacy" without issue. I'll be having nothing to do with UEFI, at least on this laptop, from here on out. :)