Malkoff        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: McGizmo - 2018

Default Re: McGizmo - 2018

Even though Don is certainly not the man to easily give into peer pressure, I keep popping into this conversation to see if maybe all the interest in a new (and more importantly available to those who weren't around) LunaSol flashlight might get some traction.

That definitely constitutes a Grail light.

"So come on Don, all the cool kids are doing it..."

There certainly appears to be a significant and willing niche for the LunaSols that were the 1st custom lights to offer the 2 differing beam types in one light. I loved my LunaSol 27 and am sure that with the combination of XPL-HI and Yuji emitters, this would be a fantastic offering once again.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Still finding time to take some photos Don? Seems it has been a while since you shared any with us. How was this years whale watching season?

I would just like to thank Don for staying true to the hobby. Take one look at the various Facebook groups and they're awash with lights, if you pardon my ignorance, that look like reheated Mac EDC or Tri-EDC lights with niche materials chosen for style over substance, some (albeit nice) fancy machining detail on the surface, garish clips that look like they would snag every garment in a 5ft radius and a four-figure price tag. Don has stayed true to materials that are demonstrably good for flashlights, a function-driven form, clips that simply work and prices that have barely changed for as long as I have been on CPF.

Thanks Mike Salt! David RZ, I posted some more whale shots.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, so what's your own personal EDC light(s) these days? i.e. what exact LED, Converter/LightEngine, Head and Battery Pak are you carrying. Also how about for your keychain too. Lastly what make batteries are you using in these lights.
    Very curious about this and I figured your reply might help some of us with deciding on options.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
    Don, so what's your own personal EDC light(s) these days? i.e. what exact LED, Converter/LightEngine, Head and Battery Pak are you carrying. Also how about for your keychain too. Lastly what make batteries are you using in these lights.
    Very curious about this and I figured your reply might help some of us with deciding on options.
    I always have a Sapphire with High CRI LED on my keyring in my pocket and have a Mule HIVE Nichia119V HiC on 1xAA pak clipped in my front pocket. I use the AW protected 14500 Li-Ion battery in the Mule and the energizer lithium primary AAA in the Sapphire. For a number of years I was carrying the SunDrop High CRI on 1x123 with 3S converter. With the HIVE's power, I have found that I am good with the Mule flood as it can reach out for me needs on the turbo when I am outside but usually I am on the low or medium (middle 2) settings. I have reflector lights in my cars, boat and by front and back door in the event of needing something with throw but that is the exception and not often. LOL I got past using a light to see what it could do about the time we went from Luxeons to Seoul and then Cree. I use my Mule often but strictly for the light it puts out. It seems with enough lumens, the tendency for most people is to go for flood over spot beams. The triple and quad pocket melters are a case in point I would think. I am not sure my use of lights is typical or at least in sync with some of expressed interest in lights I see and read these days. For me the light is a tool. It can be expensive and the best I possibly can make it but still a tool. I think cosmetics can have real appeal and I admit to downplaying cosmetics in order to keep focus on function and reliability. Provided function and reliability are not compromised, making lights pretty or cool looking is great provide the added expense is acceptable. I have gone beyond the questions asked here so I'll stop now. It's just a bit frustrating when I get queries about my lights and the questions and comments are focused on how the light looks and not how it works.....
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I always have a Sapphire with High CRI LED on my keyring in my pocket and have a Mule HIVE Nichia119V HiC on 1xAA pak clipped in my front pocket. I use the AW protected 14500 Li-Ion battery in the Mule and the energizer lithium primary AAA in the Sapphire. For a number of years I was carrying the SunDrop High CRI on 1x123 with 3S converter. With the HIVE's power, I have found that I am good with the Mule flood as it can reach out for me needs on the turbo when I am outside but usually I am on the low or medium (middle 2) settings. I have reflector lights in my cars, boat and by front and back door in the event of needing something with throw but that is the exception and not often. LOL I got past using a light to see what it could do about the time we went from Luxeons to Seoul and then Cree. I use my Mule often but strictly for the light it puts out. It seems with enough lumens, the tendency for most people is to go for flood over spot beams. The triple and quad pocket melters are a case in point I would think. I am not sure my use of lights is typical or at least in sync with some of expressed interest in lights I see and read these days. For me the light is a tool. It can be expensive and the best I possibly can make it but still a tool. I think cosmetics can have real appeal and I admit to downplaying cosmetics in order to keep focus on function and reliability. Provided function and reliability are not compromised, making lights pretty or cool looking is great provide the added expense is acceptable. I have gone beyond the questions asked here so I'll stop now. It's just a bit frustrating when I get queries about my lights and the questions and comments are focused on how the light looks and not how it works.....
    I'm stunned you don't run an Eneloop? That's just shocking to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123