ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McGizmo - 2018

Default Re: McGizmo - 2018

My first custom light was a McGizmo Haiku. My second was a McGizmo Mule. My third was a McGizmo Sundrop XR-U. I went from zero customs lights to three in less than a year. Since then I added a couple of triples (Hanko and BOSS). But my most cherished and by far most often carried lights are Dons exquisite creations.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I have set up as Don McGizmo on FaceBook for anyone interested.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Don, that Facebook page is great, but please don't forget us here, as many of us on the forum don't do the social media thing. Like with your underwater photos and things, don't want to miss those!
    Last edited by RedLED; 02-06-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Don, that Facebook page is great, but please don't forget us here, as many of us on the forum don't do the social media thing. Like with your underwater photos and things, don't want to miss those!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Very much agree ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Very much agree ....
    I concur.

Facebook has nearly pulled off what AOL did when the WWW was young, allowing many users to believe it was the entirety of the Internet, and not just a BBS community and Internet gateway provider, which is all AOL was. Facebook is a website, so maybe this accomplishment is even more impressive. As with AOL, the sheer volume of Facebook membership means it should not be ignored for marketing and sales. But so many FB members with commercial interests exclude the rest of the Internet by embracing only Facebook, and I, for one, will never join Facebook.

At least McGizmo has a website of his own and an active membership at CPF. Facebook and CPF probably offer convenience and comprehendability for McGizmo, who is just one man. But other than the understandable resistance to having to administrate a more complicated site, growing too quickly may be another reason he might not want to set up commercial sales and marketing under his own domain (by hiring a competant pro web developer, and coughing up the $50 it may cost to automate "buy me now!," just as it is automated at eBay, Amazon, and even far smaller vendors).

McGizmo does show some toes in the water, so to speak, maybe up to his knees, of web development on his own, so I doubt he hasn't considered this: once it gets up to your neck, if only throwing the terminal in the ocean could stop the ever growing attention it requires. The next step, of expanding his own domain, could be a real headache, even if everything goes smoothly, the possible avalanche of expected new sales, and too many customers with too many impatient demands of "where's mah flashlight!"

Facebook is more easily ignored when necessary, to maintain autonomy, and still be able to surf during business hours, than domain-specific sales and possible government agency scrutiny (from fickle customers that fire-off grievances without understanding).

I think Don's customers are opposite, and he likes it that way. You can not choose the McGizmo. The McGizmo chooses YOU!
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 02-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I can certainly understand a business owner haveing a presence on FB, can't hurt, however, McGizmo is not really in the flashlight business, he is in the "Luxury Business,"

I was taught this by a high level Rolex executive at a PGA Tour event I was covering, and he invited me for lunch because he saw my 50th anniversary Submariner, and I had been talking to Aronold Palmer about the timepieces that afternoon, it was at Bermuda Dunes CC in 2009 where we have a home, and so did Mr Palmer.

At that lunch, I made a comment to the Rolex Rep. "How's the watch business," and he said "I don't have any idea, we are in the luxury business."

McGizmos are a luxury in the world of flashlights. They are truly something special, and share common traits with Rolex, and other luxury goods, tough well made, can be used everyday, and serviceable as a lifetime piece. With something as special as these lights are we need to look beyond what we think flashlights are.

And just because AP and I were neighbors then, I never ever went to his home, a round the bend of the Dunes, we became friends, but never on the same level. Always know your place.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Hi guys,
    For me, it all started here and this is McGizmo home. I have no desire to build a dynasty or "compete" with those who have come into the scene; some with original ideas and some only adept at copying. As long as you guys are around and some of you request my lights, I will be here. And I just dumped a bunch of whale pics.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

For what it's worth, as someone relatively unfamiliar with this subforum, it's not at all clear which thread is the "offerings" thread, or what's being offered there.

Quote Originally Posted by carpdiem View Post
    For what it's worth, as someone relatively unfamiliar with this subforum, it's not at all clear which thread is the "offerings" thread, or what's being offered there.
    I am sorry it is so confusing. The available lights thread hopefully has the information but perhaps not easily determined. In terms of interchangeable components/ lights UI am offering the Mule, SunDrop, Haiku and Makai. They are available with a choice of LED; Cree XML2, Cree XPG2, or Nichia 119V. They can consist of a battery pak of either 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x123, 2x123. I am working with 4 different converters depending on what battery is intended to drive the LED. These heads and paks are interchangeable mechanically but the light engines need to be mated with the appropriate battery supply.

In addition to the lights mentioned above where are "E-series" compatible, I am also offering the Aqua and Terra Ram and Mule which are based on a single protected 18650 Li-Ion battery. The heads and paks here are interchangeable as well. For instance you could get a Terra Mule and a separate Aqua pak so you could use the head on either a dive proof twisty pak or clickie pak.

And finally, there is a stand alone AAA Sapphire which is a simple keychain, single speed light.

I hope this helps some. I have a very difficult time getting into this forum anymore and it took a number of visits and attempts on the computer to get access to this thread and attempt a response. Hopefully this will post...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    I agree with easilyled regarding XPL-HI. Once were throwing our wishes in the well, Id add mine: an updated Lunasol with XPL-HI center emitter and the Yuji High CRI 5mm flood emitters.
    I would immediately purchase one of these. Like, today. Right now.

I would think a "10th Anniversary" Lunasol 20 run with modern emitters would pretty much stop time here on CPF... In other words,
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I would think a "10th Anniversary" Lunasol 20 run with modern emitters would pretty much stop time here on CPF... In other words,
    <<for emphasis

Flashaholic*

+1

This would get me back into a Lunasol right away
    I'm Ryan.

A lunasol 20/27 with a XP-L HI and maybe some Nichia E17/E21 around in a flood ring would indeed be dreamy.

Since we're brainstorming here ... how about Oslon Black Flat + a ring of ultra-high-CRI Yuji ?

Since we're brainstorming here ... how about Oslon Black Flat + a ring of ultra-high-CRI Yuji ?
    Sounds interesting.

Flashaholic*

While I am very happy with my A2 with a yuji ring, I d prefer more power in the flood. And the e21 @5000 from virence.com are not visibly inferior to the yujis. In terms of form factor they are clearly superior as they just sit on surface and are much smaller overall

Now you are talking👍🏻Im in!!
    WTB: Malkoff M60 MC-E and 18 mm Tritium Sphere in Green or Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Light11 View Post
    Now you are talking👍🏻Im in!!
    Haha, and we'd rather have those in the LS27 format ... yes ?

Id say LS20 and LS27
    WTB: Malkoff M60 MC-E and 18 mm Tritium Sphere in Green or Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Light11 View Post
    Id say LS20 and LS27
    As they say around here ... two is one, better buy both

Hey Jon,

proud to have a Haiku with me love it since the first day i got it!
    Only slight negative thing: the tint is too cold for my eyes... any chance on having the XML-Cree replaced for a warmer Nichia?

Have a stellar year! Looking forward getting some more McGizmos this year!

Not sure if you are aware that the light engines are modular, and relatively straightforward to remove and install ....

Flashaholic*

Default McGizmo - 2018

Speaking of flood LEDs. Another nice option could be those new nichia optisolis. Ultimate color rendering at 20-30lm per led. And better footprint than that of e21

I am getting samples in about 2w from now and will report my observations elsewhere on the forum

McGizmo, the benchmark for all other lights. Glad to see you're still around making lights.

Now, how do I go about ordering one? What is the contact info for Don?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRZ View Post
    McGizmo, the benchmark for all other lights. Glad to see you're still around making lights.

Now, how do I go about ordering one? What is the contact info for Don?
    You will find everything you need in here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Ordering-Info

Quote Originally Posted by troutpool View Post
    You will find everything you need in here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Ordering-Info
    Awesome, thank you. Email sent.

Just jumping in to say how happy I am that the McG train is still rolling, and that I too would be very interested in another iteration of the LunaSol.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast