I need a large light, to hang by the back door.

jkaechler

Newly Enlightened
I used to hang a D-cell maglite by the back door, and it has now been completely outclassed by every other light i have. So I would like to update the back-door standby flashlight to something modern, and over 1000 lumens. I would like it to be roughly the same size (in the 10 inch/250mm ballpark), somewhere in the middle ground between a wide flood and a long throw. The use would be to hang in a bracket and be grabbed on the way out the door at need. I think that something that uses 26650 batteries might be a good idea? The only thing I am really sure of is that LED's look to be the way forward, and that Alkaline / NiMH batteries are not the way forward.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.

4) Size:

____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case. ----- 2x 26650 looks like as small as i wanna go maybe -------

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size) ------ is this really an option? ------

6) Manufacturer:

____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me. ---- a buck converter that has some kind of low battery warning might work good -----
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant) --- rain, dropped in a puddle, that sort of thing -----
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____ A bracket, but I should be able to 3d-print whatever i need in this area.

Last edited:

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Convoy L6 might fit the bill. 3000+ lumens, ipx-8, no battery indicator tho..

Anything coming from sky lumen will have a battery indicator built into the user interface

bigm

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the L6! I've always liked Mags, and still have quite a few of their lights. Since getting my L6, my Mags are pretty much just gathering dust, until I get around to modding them. The L6 might be on the small end of your desires, but it is more than adequate if it should ever need to be used in a defensive manner. Not to mention bright enough to genuinely blind an attacker. It has four brightness levels controlled by the side switch. The tail switch is a forward clicky, just for on/off. With a pair of 5000 mah batteries, it should give you about an hour on high, or about 100 hours on low. Great beam, too. It's like a wall of light that throws pretty well, too. If you want to stick with your Mag, check out Adventure Sport Flashlights. They have parts to build it into an led light, from mild to wild, diy parts to build it yourself, and ready made drop in "led bulbs" to upgrade your old light.

Last edited:

jkaechler

Newly Enlightened
Whats the difference between the Convoy L6 and the L2? It looks like the L2 lacks only the side button, and if you DIY you can make it have the same output. I dont need a bunch of modes, so just on/off and a low battery warning would be great. That L6 or L2 chassis are a bit smaller than i expected, but probly good candidates for door duty. The L2 pricetag is in a happy place as well.

arKmm

Enlightened
Consider the Streamlight Ultrastinger LED. Comes with a charging bracket that you can mount it on so that its always ready to go.

There is better performance wise but this'd be super robust, super reliable, and super simple.

bigm

Newly Enlightened
The L2 would be a good choice, too. I don't have one yet, but plan on changing that soon. It may be an even better fit, as it only has the tail switch, and no side switch. In stock form, I would still think the L6 would be better to keep by the door, as it is such a wide and floody beam that would be better suited to quickly see a large area. The L2 comes with an XPL HI now days, making it more of a thrower, but you can always swap emitters for a wider, and brighter beam if you want. I'm not sure, but I think the L6 has a bit larger reflector, so it should have more throw compared to the L2 when using the same emitter. A nice feature of the L2 is the ability to take off the extension tube to make it into a single 26650 light for compactness, and use the extension and two 26650's for longer run time.

maglite mike

Enlightened
No one has mentioned the mag charger led ? It only has the longest track record of any rechargable on the market. Lol

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one has mentioned the mag charger led ? It only has the longest track record of any rechargable on the market. Lol

I have a 20-ish year old MagCharger with a drop-in LED replacement that puts out about 1100 lumens but the current gen stock LED MagCharger tops out at something like 600. Not really keeping up with the times for a light that physically large.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I have a 20-ish year old MagCharger with a drop-in LED replacement that puts out about 1100 lumens but the current gen stock LED MagCharger tops out at something like 600. Not really keeping up with the times for a light that physically large.
maglite ml150 rechargable just came out, I only see it on ebay so far. It's 1081 lumens and 450 meter throw.

Last edited:

jkaechler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for you all's input.
I ordered a Convoy L2 host today... plus an LED and a driver board.
I have a couple of 18650's recovered from a laptop battery that i can run it with initially. Once i get it working i will likely swap in a pair of 26650's.
I ordered from mountain electronics, so shipping shouldn't be too slow.

Im kinda looking forward to the process of assembling it, assuming i get it right.....