Good Protected 18650 Not Too Long

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm aware all protected batteries are longer than unprotected but some are ridiculously long. I need to buy a pair of protected 18650 for my Jetbeam BC40GT. It has no low voltage warning built in so I must use protected batteries but not 18685 something more normal in length. It must be known as a safe dependable brand and readily available from an American dealer. In the last round of tests AW did not do well so let's concentrate on other brands. Must allow 8 amps so I guess you call them high draw. Thanks for your help!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yea. I think so.. if you need more amp, here is a sony vtc6 keeppower protected. $11.99. I am doing homework for you.,.

https://www.illumn.com/18650-keeppo...vtc6-protected-high-discharge-button-top.html
Thanks I appreciate it. Mostly worried about a good safe protected battery since 2 will be in series. I appreciate your expertise. I could read the same info but even ultrafire gices a good write up. Only knowledgeable users can separate the bs from the quality brands.

Since you have successfully used the evva without bad incident I'm inclined to go with that one. 8 amps should be fine. I would rather have protection trip when not needed than NOT trip when it IS!

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
NCR18650B 3400mAh 3.7V 18650 Protected Li-ion Battery from Gearbest are 70mm long. They will work in a TM26GT but are about 1-2mm too long for my TM15 which uses the same body to hold the batteries.
If you need something closer to 68-69mm long I like the Soshine 3400Mah Protected Li-ion battery. I found the best deal on ebay for these.
Both of these are button top batteries. If you dont need the button top you can save 3-4mm by using a flat top

recDNA

Flashaholic
NCR18650B 3400mAh 3.7V 18650 Protected Li-ion Battery from Gearbest are 70mm long. They will work in a TM26GT but are about 1-2mm too long for my TM15 which uses the same body to hold the batteries.
If you need something closer to 68-69mm long I like the Soshine 3400Mah Protected Li-ion battery. I found the best deal on ebay for these.
Both of these are button top batteries. If you dont need the button top you can save 3-4mm by using a flat top
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I need button top. I don't trust Gearbest, Ebay, nor Amazon for batteries. Too many cheap knock offs out there and I lack the expertise to tell the dif. This is why I would rather stick with a well known American dealer with a battery that has been tested and reviewed. If you recommend the Soshine I will look for an American dealer and try to find an HKJ review.

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
IMR batteries is a good American site. You can buy from the other places, just dont buy anything that has the word fire in it or over exaggerates its performance.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever brand you choose, if you are really worried about length, don't go for a cell capacity above 3200 mAh. I know probably most cells of 3400 mAh will be short enough, but you are pretty much guaranteed that a 3200 mAh cell will be short enough. Since manufacturers can't increase the diameter of a cell to get more capacity, they have to lengthen the cell. That is why the higher capacity cells sometimes don't fit.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Whatever brand you choose, if you are really worried about length, don't go for a cell capacity above 3200 mAh. I know probably most cells of 3400 mAh will be short enough, but you are pretty much guaranteed that a 3200 mAh cell will be short enough. Since manufacturers can't increase the diameter of a cell to get more capacity, they have to lengthen the cell. That is why the higher capacity cells sometimes don't fit.
Great tip! I didn't know lower capacity batteries were shorter.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Great tip! I didn't know lower capacity batteries were shorter.

They are not, the difference are between protected and unprotected and to a lesser degree flat/button top.
You can always check my website for actual size of 100's of batteries.

recDNA

Flashaholic
They are not, the difference are between protected and unprotected and to a lesser degree flat/button top.
You can always check my website for actual size of 100's of batteries.
I couldn't find Nitecores.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I couldn't find Nitecores.

I only have 4 Nitecore and no 18650. Nitecore has never shipped any to me and I have not bought any.
As a general rule (i.e. there may be exceptions): Unprotected flattop: 65mm long, all other are longer, button top usual 1-2 mm, protected 2-5mm, both 3-7mm.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I need safe buttontop protected high draw available from US distributors. Any recommendations?