Recommend me a new EDC light

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
My g/f is interested in buying me a new light for my birthday so I'm hunting recommendations...

I'd like EDC size.. Like a maybe 4.5x1 inch .
Tail clicky.. 2-300max lumens.. Sub 5 lumen low..
Batteries MUST be rechargeable... I have a AA/AAA charger as well as an 18650/17500/14500 etc charger...
Brass or copper would be cool but not "needed"..
I'd like to support an American manufacturer..
Budget around 200 max

Lights I've looked at so far are malkoff AA (not enough lumens) malkoff cr123 (no rechargeable)
And a couple different peak led lights (no clicky tho)

Help?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy birthday, bro. What about a Malkoff MD2 with M61? This is a 1 x 18650 light from an American manufacturer with ~300 lumens on high and ~5 lumens on low. I use one every day. You'd have to fudge on the maximum diameter, as this flares out to 1.25" at the head. I have no trouble toting it in my front pocket.

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
Actually.. I did look at those.. Another requirement I forgot to list is the need for a "middle" setting of maybe 20/30 lumens...
Malkoff makes REAL nice stuff tho

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
Yup saw the 361.. little excessive for my needs...Although... If I put the hi/low on it I could end up with a 6 speed..... Boy, that's an idea...
Anybody have ideas on what the steps would be on that?

Hugh.... I'd really like a made in USA light..

Last edited:

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
I did consider the 16650... Little too high on high and doesn't get as low as I'd like...

I HAD a malkoff AA light that I lost recently.. Hence why I'm familiar with the line and the need for a new light...
I loved that little guy but it could have been a little brighter sometimes..

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if you can pick up a Clicky HDS (LE) on the marketplace, or a new one if you want to add the funds and not let on. 250 HDS lumens is like anyone else's 300 and it runs on 16350s. 4 completely programable levels from high to pipsqueak, plus intant access to your favourite level.
It's the only multimode light I can tolerate, otherwise it's Malkoff all the way. Although I'm tempted by Oveready's programming, we'll see.

P

Keitho

Enlightened
Well, original light not made in the USA, but a USA small business modder is on skylumen (Vinh) doing great work in WA. My vote would be the d4vn titanium.

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
The malkoff cr123 fits my needs in most all aspects with the exception of rechargeable batteries...
Does anybody know if you can run the lifepo4 chemistry batteries in it?
If so recommendations for a decent charger and cells?

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Okay, Malkoff seems to be popular around here. I don't believe anyone mentioned that you could buy the Malkoff A123 body and the MDC cool or neutral Li-ion head which would allow you to have a MDC single a123 that runs a rechargeable 16340.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I will second both the HDS, which is my edc, and the Malkoff lights. Although you may also want to look at Surefire p60 host with a Malkoff drop-in (I own a number of these and they are great). A little too big for me for an edc, but a great setup. I use them when I hike at night.

Scotterics

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions and let you know that I decided on another malkoff mdc aa that my g/f ordered and malkoff shipped this morning...
Realistically the 100 or so lumens is enough for 99% of my needs (especially for a daily carry) and I have brighter lights in all the vehicles and in the house in case I need more