What is the consensus here regarding Streamlight in general and the Protac 2L-X in

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
particular ? I was surprised not to find a review of the 2L-X by a member of the forum . Thank you kindly in advance .

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
From what I can tell some people think Streamlight make decent lights but a lot of their product is behind the times when it comes to technology. I haven't seen a great deal of threads about Streamlight come up and I think this might be because a lot of Streamlight products are geared towards use in law enforcement and firefighting and don't have a lot of bells and whistles when it comes to things like UI and mode selection.

I use an 800 lumen Streamlight Stinger DS HL and a TLR-1 for work and they are both good lights. I really like the Stinger in particular.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
They won't impress anyone that just looks at graphs or charts. They don't have 18 programmable UIs with 8 sub programmable modes. They aren't fun to play with sitting watching Tv. They are reliable and durable and more than a couple times I've had buddies swap out cells because most lights don't run as long on cell as the streamlight lights do.

The 2L-X won't get beyond warm and just keeps on going and going. It has a great tint and beam if you're going to use it where you need light and aren't just playing with it.

It carries easy. The real impressive thing specific to the 2L-X is the run time and brightness and useable beam and tint to its size ratio. I have smaller lights almost as bright or even brighter but they don't run as long. I have larger lights that run brighter and larger ones that run longer but don't carry as easy.

Its a great light if you plan on using it versus playing with it. If you're into slightly shorter run times and throwing away money, it will work with a couple primaries too.

I got mine as a gift and I am glad I did get it. I use the heck out of it

Last edited:

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I have a streamlight 2L, 2L-X, HL-X, 2AA and love all 4. Great lights.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, it seems Streamlights are designed to be simple and dependable lights often oriented towards police, firefighters, hunters and the military; they enjoy a good reputation among these groups. Though their prices are usually not the lowest compared to other Chinese made lights (most Steamlight products are now mostly made in China with some assembled in the USA) - Streamlight is often seen as a lower cost alternative to Surefire (still made in the USA). Streamlight has a good a warranty and customer service. Although new Streamlight offerings have innovative features, they seem a little slow to integrate new features into existing lights (probably do to the large numbers produced and government contracts that could be complicated by any changes in specifications).

I have no experience with the 2L-X specifically, but I do have a 1L-1AA which I am very pleased with.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well put xxo

Streamlights humble beginnings began in NJ in the 1960's when NASA was looking for a flashlight that mimic'd the sun for part of Appollo mission duties. Well it wasn't quite a handheld. But it put out 5 million candlepower at a time where a thousand candlepower was a big deal.

Later they introduced a consumer version in the early 70's. With a price of nearly $200 with another $250 for the battery pack needless to say it wasn't a big seller. It was called "the Streamlite". Boaters with loot, prison search teams and anybody with a big budget and needed to see 1/4 mile or more bought them. The shoulder carry battery was like carrying a riding mower battery and the light was similar in size. But it sure beat carrying a 10D light, had better runtime and was a lot brighter.

They were already a "purpose light" flashlight company when they came out with the SL20 rechargeable flashlight that was like a 4-5D Maglite. Maglite was a new idea and at first Streamlight (now in PA) and Maglite played nice together. Streamlight had rechargeables similar to Don Keller Pro-Light. And Maglite used disposable batteries. One was selling lights to police on the east coast, the other on the west coast.

Streamlight bought Kel-Lite, a California company and suddenly they were west coast too. They made one similar to a Maglite. Similar enough to lose a court case for copying Maglites patented bezel logo stamping method. Streamlight nearly went broke. Streamlight had out Mag'd Maglite with 1xAAA lights, 2xAAA and 2xAA numbers. And Maglite began the MagCharger.

By then SureFire was selling lots of 6P's to police and military types. Streamlight entered that market with the Scorpion, then later NiteFiters and TL2's/3's. Well built like SureFire but lighter, smaller and using more economical bi-pin bulbs.

I never studied their fireman offerings but suspect those roots began with "the Streamlite", which was along the lines of those $4 yellow 6 volt lanterns we see in box stores.

When LED's began, like SureFire and Maglite they seemed to lag behind. But frankly their market did not mind since LED's were seen as weak and vulnerable in heavy duty uses.
While Maglite has mainly stuck with their traditional offerings aimed at the general consumer, SureFire stuck to its platform of lights meant for rugged use. Streamlight built all kinds of purposed lights from police and fireman lights, to lights aimed at auto mechanics, ems workers, ac repairmen, tow truck drivers, hunters, boaters and other specialized uses. Their lineup is huge.
Of the big 3 Mag, SureFire and Streamlight, Streamlight was the first to go the potential rechargeable option with their dual fuel lineup. They also introduced dual switch'd lights while the other 2 have really avoided the idea(s). Lately they've gone from the famous C4 copy paper white beams to tints hovering at the edge of neutral. They've gone the way of runtimes while offering bright. Their lows are meant for many uses and in some cases the medium is like a high beam with great runtime. The ten tap option appeals to an audience who want strobe, or high only or a light starting on low.

When they chose to have lights made overseas they chose one of the better manufacturers who also require strict quality controls. It allows Streamlight to compete with a bunch of Johnnie-come-lately companies closer to their terms while still providing well made, durable products for people who use a flashlight like a others use a screwdriver, a stetheoscope or a freon leak detector.

CPF is a flashlight enthusiast site where cutting edge ideas are way more popular than a penlight. Streamlight is not often a discussed company here. But there aren't many who would say "they make junk". Those topics are reserved for the other 2 of the big 3. lol.

Me personally, I own several from all three but my library of Streamlight model numbers far exceeds the other two combined.

Last edited:

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I'd almost say that they make no frills lights but that sort of suggests their lights are cheap and low quality. They might be the Nokia 3310 up against the latest iPhone or the Ford Ranger against the Alfa Romeo. Solid and dependable but not immediately standing out from the pack?

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I have had good luck with the Strion, Stinger, Siege, and Survivor Series, but I have had several switch issues with the protac series. I also had a Protac HL-X with a short in it - it would not turn on but it heated up the batteries.

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for the tardy follow-up. Thank you for the comments , gentlemen ( & ladies ? ) .

Eidolon

Newly Enlightened
I've mostly accidentally abused my Streamlight 1L-1AA and it has held up quite admirably, to the point that I'd expect to normally replace a light that cost less than 40$. Although it is a rather unscientific - it seems to have low runtimes on it's highest setting with CR123s, and still a decent enough brightness for EDC use with AA. I carry it quite a bit.

Warp

Enlightened
In general Streamlight is awesome. Top shelf manufacturer.

Old thread I know I know.

I just realized the 1L-1AA was a 'thing'. Must have!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well.... sometimes you miss a topic the first go-around.

I own two SL Protac 2L-Xs. I own over two dozen SureFire lights. Most of which are clip-carried 2xCR123 models. The 2L-X is the light SureFire should have made. Yeah, I said it. It's true. This is the light that should have been their latest version of the E2E LED. But for some bizarre reason, SF discontinued the E2E. They made a latest version E2D LED. But until recently, there was no latest Gen. E2E. There is now. But they're not offering it with a bezel-down carry-clip. Something that would truly make it less obvious. I like that. I like being more low-profile.

Do you get SureFire's level of ruggedness with the 2L-X? No. But it's still far from fragile junk. And unlike SureFire, Streamlight's switch on this light, (due to how it works) means that you're not going to accidentally get the lower setting when you want the higher one. You can re-program it to be single-output 500 lumens only. But ironically, there's no need to do that.

Yeah, Streamlight's customer service is absolute garbage. But it's rare for them to make a model that is a failure. (Their Night Fighter models are an absolute miserable failure that Streamlight is determined to not improve in any way, shape, or form. And happy to keep "as is" in their catalog. But thankfully that type of light is the rare exception, rather than the rule.)

I don't see myself EDCing anything but the SL Protac 2L-X anywhere in the near or even distant future quite frankly. And I'll freely admit that I recently ordered both a SureFire G2Z MV, and SureFire G2X Yellow. 800 lumens and 600 respectively. But not as replacements for my Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Durability, beam pattern, combination of throw and flood geared more for throw, dual cell capability, and a fantastic U.I. is why I ordered a 2nd 2L-X in case anything happens to my first one. Maybe years down the road after it has been "improved" into something less useful or outright discontinued.

Oh yeah, beats comparable SureFire models in price too. $50.oo all day long for a 2L-X. Shop around a bit, you can find one for just over $40.oo; online. The only thing I wish was better is the clip. But it works. Not great. Gets the job done.

Anyone wants a high quality 2xCR123 (1x18650) actual tactical light, check out the 2L-X. Give it a serious look. Yes, even over SureFire's offerings. And that's coming from a SureFire collector. The only gripe that even remotely makes sense about the 2L-X, "Oh, it's not made in America." I used to buy into that as well. I don't anymore. If that's important to anyone, okay; spend your money the way you see fit. And I'll do the same. Buying American caused me to end up smashed up against the stonewall of an exit ramp in my American-made car with no anti-lock brakes after someone hit my vehicle and the brakes locked up during a mild rainfall. Almost getting two broken wrists and actually getting a blasting cap exploding in my face when the airbag went off, causing me to nearly choke to death when I couldn't breath. Later, when I realized that for the same money, I could have gotten a foreign-made Hyundai with anti-lock brakes and been able to avoid the stonewall; I began to re-think that old philosophy. But again, that's just me.

For those wanting a rechargeable option, Streamlight now makes 18650 batteries that can be directly charged using a common USB cable. No need for a dedicated and bulky charging cradle you have to carry with you if you want to use one 18650 with the 2L-X. Even better, get yourself an 18650 delrin battery locker from County Comm. Put a small split-ring through the hole on top. Put a clip or a mini carabiner through the ring. Now you can carry a spare 18650 with you, clipped to a belt loop. Need to swap out batteries? Put the dead 18650 in the locker until you have a chance to recharge it later.

Just an absolutely wonderful light that has flown underneath the radar of most CPFers. Mainly due to the fact that it's a Streamlight. And that company gets very little fanfare tossed in its general direction.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, mono. I like Streamlight a lot. Selected models, but that's the way I am with all manufacturers. I never like every light in the catalog.

Streamlight makes good, reasonably straightforward, tool-level tough lights. If I was talking to a working professional who was looking for a quality light for their job, I'd not hesitate to recommend Streamlight. And like Mag, many of their light are designed, dare I say on purpose, to use alkaline cells. As such, they aren't an overwhelming favorite with us enthusiast crowds.

Why we scorn manufacturers as being behind the times and so much more when they are designing alkaline lights for regular people and at specific price points is beyond me.

Streamlight (and Mag) have a reputation for utility and dependability.

Gotta look into the 2L-X. I recently got the Polytac X usb in yellow. It's a good light all around.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thank you. Even with being a Streamlight model, I'm genuinely surprised that the 2L-X and the 1,000 lumen HL-X don't get even a fraction of the attention they should. Despite being non-alkaline lights. Heck, a buddy of mine recently wanted a 1,000 lumens weapon-light for his rifle. If you want one from a company with a rock solid reputation for making quality lights, one that has been around for quite awhile, you've got two choices....

Either piece together every individual part needed from SureFire (Starting with their M600 Scout light) because they won't sell you a complete package of everything you actually need, for a total of right around $400.oo ~or~ Get a Streamlight HL-X rail version of that light that literally comes with everything you need inside the packaging, for just a tick over $100.oo.

The bezel on the SL is a bit wider than on the SF, and is one ounce heavier. But you get better throw compared to the SF thanks to that slightly wider reflector. Save $300.oo (Yet, no one seems to notice that. I don't get it.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Durability is timeless.

Streamlight may not be out front in the flashion of the week sense. But when it really counts they are one to depend on.

True. Dependable and durable are boring. Unless you generate your own buzz. Streamlight is the flashlight equivalent of Steyr in the firearms community. Both make excellent quality products that practically no one talks about. Why? Maybe it has to do with their shared company slogans:

"What in the world is 'Marketing?'"

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
This is an elaborate post . And I really appreciate it ! Thank you , sir . :)

Well.... sometimes you miss a topic the first go-around.

I own two SL Protac 2L-Xs. I own over two dozen SureFire lights. Most of which are clip-carried 2xCR123 models. The 2L-X is the light SureFire should have made. Yeah, I said it. It's true. This is the light that should have been their latest version of the E2E LED. But for some bizarre reason, SF discontinued the E2E. They made a latest version E2D LED. But until recently, there was no latest Gen. E2E. There is now. But they're not offering it with a bezel-down carry-clip. Something that would truly make it less obvious. I like that. I like being more low-profile.

Do you get SureFire's level of ruggedness with the 2L-X? No. But it's still far from fragile junk. And unlike SureFire, Streamlight's switch on this light, (due to how it works) means that you're not going to accidentally get the lower setting when you want the higher one. You can re-program it to be single-output 500 lumens only. But ironically, there's no need to do that.

Yeah, Streamlight's customer service is absolute garbage. But it's rare for them to make a model that is a failure. (Their Night Fighter models are an absolute miserable failure that Streamlight is determined to not improve in any way, shape, or form. And happy to keep "as is" in their catalog. But thankfully that type of light is the rare exception, rather than the rule.)

I don't see myself EDCing anything but the SL Protac 2L-X anywhere in the near or even distant future quite frankly. And I'll freely admit that I recently ordered both a SureFire G2Z MV, and SureFire G2X Yellow. 800 lumens and 600 respectively. But not as replacements for my Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Durability, beam pattern, combination of throw and flood geared more for throw, dual cell capability, and a fantastic U.I. is why I ordered a 2nd 2L-X in case anything happens to my first one. Maybe years down the road after it has been "improved" into something less useful or outright discontinued.

Oh yeah, beats comparable SureFire models in price too. $50.oo all day long for a 2L-X. Shop around a bit, you can find one for just over $40.oo; online. The only thing I wish was better is the clip. But it works. Not great. Gets the job done.

Anyone wants a high quality 2xCR123 (1x18650) actual tactical light, check out the 2L-X. Give it a serious look. Yes, even over SureFire's offerings. And that's coming from a SureFire collector. The only gripe that even remotely makes sense about the 2L-X, "Oh, it's not made in America." I used to buy into that as well. I don't anymore. If that's important to anyone, okay; spend your money the way you see fit. And I'll do the same. Buying American caused me to end up smashed up against the stonewall of an exit ramp in my American-made car with no anti-lock brakes after someone hit my vehicle and the brakes locked up during a mild rainfall. Almost getting two broken wrists and actually getting a blasting cap exploding in my face when the airbag went off, causing me to nearly choke to death when I couldn't breath. Later, when I realized that for the same money, I could have gotten a foreign-made Hyundai with anti-lock brakes and been able to avoid the stonewall; I began to re-think that old philosophy. But again, that's just me.

For those wanting a rechargeable option, Streamlight now makes 18650 batteries that can be directly charged using a common USB cable. No need for a dedicated and bulky charging cradle you have to carry with you if you want to use one 18650 with the 2L-X. Even better, get yourself an 18650 delrin battery locker from County Comm. Put a small split-ring through the hole on top. Put a clip or a mini carabiner through the ring. Now you can carry a spare 18650 with you, clipped to a belt loop. Need to swap out batteries? Put the dead 18650 in the locker until you have a chance to recharge it later.

Just an absolutely wonderful light that has flown underneath the radar of most CPFers. Mainly due to the fact that it's a Streamlight. And that company gets very little fanfare tossed in its general direction.

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
I like the 2L-X . Do you think that I would like the HL-X ? Where would be the best place to buy it online ?

Thank you. Even with being a Streamlight model, I'm genuinely surprised that the 2L-X and the 1,000 lumen HL-X don't get even a fraction of the attention they should. Despite being non-alkaline lights. Heck, a buddy of mine recently wanted a 1,000 lumens weapon-light for his rifle. If you want one from a company with a rock solid reputation for making quality lights, one that has been around for quite awhile, you've got two choices....

Either piece together every individual part needed from SureFire (Starting with their M600 Scout light) because they won't sell you a complete package of everything you actually need, for a total of right around $400.oo ~or~ Get a Streamlight HL-X rail version of that light that literally comes with everything you need inside the packaging, for just a tick over $100.oo.

The bezel on the SL is a bit wider than on the SF, and is one ounce heavier. But you get better throw compared to the SF thanks to that slightly wider reflector. Save $300.oo (Yet, no one seems to notice that. I don't get it.)