ArmyTek        
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: REOPENED 2018 Yuji 3200K high cri 5mm LED group buy

Default Re: REOPENED 2018 Yuji 3200K high cri 5mm LED group buy

If memory serves they were like $3.99 and came with a separate holster. I looked at eBay this afternoon to see if any were left and didn't see any.

I had bought a couple in 016 as part of a minimag clone collection I was assembling.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by spaceminions View Post
    In my eternal quest to not do any actual work, I have now decided to try using a lifepo4 10440 and at most maybe a bit of something that's got resistance but isnt a true resistor.
    Good idea. I didn't even realize there were 10440 LiFePo4 cells available.

If that works in a Solitaire, then a 14500 LiFePo4 should likewise work well in a 3xAAA light. I like the discharge curve I see for a 14500 HKJ tested.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Bright Star did a generic minimag clone that acts like it was made for a Yuji.

The beam of the Yuji'd Bright Star minimag type light is actually superior to the Yuji'd minimag.

At some point I'll try it in a junky 10˘ Brinkmann 2xAA.
    Very nice. That does look like a really good optical pairing.

Minimag runtime began 9am on Sunday 3/11/18.
    Using supplied duracell AA's from 2015 and a 3200 Yuji. The batteries had perhaps 10 minutes use with a TerraLux module.

24 hours and still nearly 100%

Still at least 80% output.

Stopped the test with about 50% output at 57 hours.
    That left enough juice to see by if need be in sudden darkness.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-13-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 2018 Yuji 5mm LED group buy OPEN

I'll take 12 pcs at $4 shipped.

Does anyone have a 2AA angle head incan flashlight that can confirm these will fit?

Either the Rayovac swivelhead or similar to what the military issued.

Most of those, including the one I have, are for a PR2 bulb, not a bi-pin that you could just plug into like a mini-mag or the Rayovac Industrial (now a Workhorse, apparently). But I have made a few PR2 bulbs with direct drive 5 mm LED's, it's not real hard. Just go gonzo and smash the glass and dig all of the junk out so you have a bare PR2 can - keep the solder in the base. Then offset the positive leg a tad so it goes down in the middle, and trim and dogleg the negative so it is just touching the inside of the can. I like to tin the legs, and both the inside and outside of the can at the negative connection, before inserting the LED, for better heat transfer from the outside of the can. Then just put the positive leg up to the solder at the bottom, and heat from the outside until it sinks in, and right out through until you are lined up at the negative. Hit the solder on the outside of the can to melt the negative leg down, and trim the excess of the positive sticking out the bottom. Presto! PR2 Yuji conversion.

The only thing that could be a little fiddly is if you are going for the tightest possible focus, it's a bit of work to unsolder the neg. leg, heat the base and slide it up or down and re-attach the negative. But you could get real close on the first try by powering one off a coin cell and moving it in and out of the reflector first.

Hmm... might need to dust off that old anglehead on the back of my bench that my dad and I bought to go on a cave tour in New Mexico in 1977.
    Last edited by Hondo; 03-14-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Yessssssssss!! Thanks for that Hondo

Thank you Hondo.

i just did a photon switch, I'm liking the warmer, floodier beam much better.

Flashaholic*

Paypal sent. Left additional notes. Thank you.

I haven't decided what my next mod will be, but I have functionally tested all my emitters, both 3200K and 5600K.

There's not really a point to having done this. They just look so nice when on, I couldn't resist playing around with them:

(photographed at 4500K white balance)

So I have run one of my 3200k's for a few days at 80-90mA, no issues. I'll have to see how much it can tolerate. I'm waiting to place an order for a lifepo4 until I have other stuff I want, but this was at about 3.2vdrop across the led. I'm going to see what I can get it to survive, and when I do get a 10440, I'll see how much resistance is required to drop the peak of 3.6 down to the level I settle on when sag and internal + series resistances are taken into account. Worst case, I guess I have to figure out the spring resistor thing.

Wow, 80-90 mA for days, talk about exceeding expectations. And we were worried about killing them quick at 50 mA! I'm surprised, as that's all the way up at the peak attainable intensity that iamlucky13 got in his torture test, and brightness actually fell after that. I guess I need to break out the Energizer lithiums and crank that sucker up.

BTW, that is a cool picture, iamlucky13. Is that fifth LED from the left in front the one that gave all in that torture test?

I will say it looked like it'd still suffer the pink glow of death at similar currents, but it seems as long as you don't do that, it'll be fine.

Thanks for adding that information to the thread, spaceminions.

Good eye Hondo. I wasn't going to throw it out yet in case I thought of anything else I wanted to test with it, so I also blackened the base with Sharpie marker so I could tell which one it is. That makes it stand out even more than just being dimmer.

By the way, does anybody know of any drivers with just a single 7135 regulator? Everything I see on Mountain, even if you take advantage of the options to remove extra 7135's, still has multiples.

I previously had an idea to make a pill with a resistor to load in series with a 16340 or 18350 battery in a 3 x AAA light. That will probably still happen, but it then occurred to me that even neater would be to package it with a decent driver. Unfortunately, from what I'm seeing, even drivers like the Moonlight Special come with a minimum of 3 x 7135's.

I'm thinking 350 mA would be ok for 9 LED's - a bit less on average than where ma tumba had issues with 12 sharing 600 mA.

Flashaholic*

I got a 350ma driver (fixed, nonround typy) and wanted to make a LE with the yujis but then I realized that it would be an overkill. I think that 5mm have their niche but if you want a regular form factor of a LE you may better off to the new Optisolis. I had the chance to behold the tint and it was much better than that of a 083b, plus they have been tested up to 1amp despite the datasheet said 100ma.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    I got a 350ma driver (fixed, nonround typy) and wanted to make a LE with the yujis but then I realized that it would be an overkill. I think that 5mm have their niche but if you want a regular form factor of a LE you may better off to the new Optisolis. I had the chance to behold the tint and it was much better than that of a 083b, plus they have been tested up to 1amp despite the datasheet said 100ma.
    Are there any boards for these? Last I saw Clemence was using the VR16S1 boards for them

Well I've switched my nightly user Rayovac, with a 5600k, to Energizer lithiums. When I took a fresh (ish) pair and checked current, I got about 120 mA - not OK. So I grabbed a pair that have been in another light with an SMJLED in direct drive with one of my PR2 conversions. That gave me 60 - 70 mA, so we'll see how she does. Nice and bright, I had been running an old pair of Duracells that were getting under 1.4 volts each, and it was kind of nice, more than moonlight, but a slightly weak "low".

So I stuffed the fresh (er) lithiums into the SMJLED light, and got about 70 mA there, so good to go. That is the difference between a pretty low Vf on those SMJLEDs, and a very low Vf on the Yujis, I think. The SMJLED was one of the few LEDs that could run OK on two alkies direct, because of a low Vf, but was really bright on two lithium Energizers. They are also rated to 100 mA, if I recall correctly.

So it looks like, from what we know so far, these should be good in direct drive with two fresh alkalines, or two lithiums that have had the top knocked off of their voltage in something else. And they may fair better than first thought in some of the boosted single AAA/AA lights driving fairly hard.

If I can find the 3 minutes to solder it on, I may have to try replacing the old Nichia CS in my trusty Gen II Dorcy AAA. I was afraid of that one as it pushes them at 50+ mA. The Gen IV with the moon-beam lens tuned that back a lot, and is not bad really, its a big spot beam. I like the Rayovac version of it best, I call it a "refloptic" as it focuses in the center, but has a reflector behind and plain edge on the lens, so you get both a focused, smooth moon spot in the center plus a spill beam around it. Problem is, the circuit board is upside the head, and just spins, I can't get it to start threading out, and have no way to grip it and pull while turning.

Thanks for the input, ma tumba.

At some point, I'd like to make an order from Virence to mod a few lights, and for the price, a few Optisolis emitters would certainly be worthwhile to add, but I've got more little projects to work on than I have time for right now, so I'm putting that off.

Wow! I just looked up djozz's test data on the Optisolis. I can't believe Nichia rated their power level so low when the output curve is so close to linear up past 350 mA, and the forward voltage actually looks acceptable even if these were a blue pumped emitter.

Flashaholic*

Default REOPENED 2018 Yuji 3200K high cri 5mm LED group buy

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    Are there any boards for these? Last I saw Clemence was using the VR16S1 boards for them
    The vr16s1 can host up to 3 optisolis and that is what I got.

I think that they may also fit a regular 3535 board provided the central grounded pad is electrically insulated. If i had some arctic alumina I'd tested it right away. May try some ultra thin g10 though
    Last edited by ma tumba; 03-22-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Hope these are still available! I would like a pac of 12. Thanks!
    Thanks, CPF!

Yep, still have plenty. PM incoming.
    If you're new to CPF, please read this... (Just click the link...)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ost-out-of-CPF

Enlightened

PP sent for 12pc Yuji 3200K

I'll take 50 if you have them. Will send PP.
    PP sent today (Sun)
    Thanks
    Last edited by greatscoot; 04-15-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Hi folks! If you've sent PP in the last week, your emitters go in the mail tomorrow morning. Thank you all! Probably 250 +/- left.

Flashaholic*

I'll take 50.

PayPal sent.
    Last edited by eraursls1984; 04-16-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Everyone above this post made it into today's mail. Thanks folks, and enjoy!!!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789