petzl vario

wormyian

Newly Enlightened
are these headlights worth the money or is it old technology i currently use an olight headlamp and have used zebralights and acebeam h10s

NorSar

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I currently use the "bigger brother" the Petzl Ultra Rush Belt. The Vario is similar, just a tad smaller. the larger Petzl headlamps are fairly niche products, you can get headlamps that are much cheaper, with better output and a much more compact form factor. But when you need the things the Petzl brings, it delivers in spades.

I use my petzl mostly for search and rescue, even tho it adds over 500g to my pack, i never go on a mission without it. The large adjusting knob on the light works great with thick gloves, and because the batterypack is external (if you get an extension or choose a "belt variant" ) you can put the battery on the inside of your jacket while using the light. In the norwegian winter both these factors become crucial. the light levels are well spaced, giving you the ability to regulate the output to you needs, and thus extending the battery life. I was on a SAR instructor course this last fall, the weather was perfect for sar training...in other words terrible. windy, sleet and rain with temps at around 0 C. I was worried i was going to run out of juice on my battery, and even ordered a spare IP4 pack. Even though we where out in the darkness two nights in a row, and sunset was at 1630 i still had juice on my original battery at the end. The spare pack got returned, and i have never felt a need for more battery. The ruggedness of the headlamps is also ridicoulus, mine has been smashed against rocks and branches, submerged in a river for 3,5 hours (i dropped it while transporting a patient, so had to finish the rescue before going back for it. I also managed to fly of a snowmobile and into a snowdrift with the petzl on a few weeks ago. The light took it without issues, but i was on cruches for 5 days.

If you have read trough all of that, it becomes fairly obvious that i love the big honking Petzls, For harsh conditions where light is mission critical they are fantastic. But i would carefully consider if your needs require it. I wear my Olight H2R 90% of the time i wear a headlamp. If i am hiking on my own, walking the dog, working on my car or hunting, i can get the job done much lighter and cheaper with the olight. On its highest setting it is even 3 times brighter.

But if you do need the qualities the Petzl offers, it is worth every penny. The beam and tint of the light is also very nice.

sorry this got a bit long, i almost wrote my self into ordering another one, but my wife would kill me and i allready have two of them (one at work and one for volunteer SAR)