Need recommendation for Competition BBQ Light

Tuck

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a headlamp to be used to check the color of brisket, pork, and ribs when I do competition bbq events. All work will be done at < 5' with most being done at arms length. I have a Zebralight SC62W and love it so I am thinking of staying with that brand. I am looking at the following lights:

H600Fc Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 Floody 4000K High CRI Headlamp
Item Id:H600Fc Mk IV

OR

H604c 18650 XHP50.2 Flood 4000K High CRI Headlamp
Item Id:H604c
Would either one of these be better than the other? Other models to consider?

Thank you!
Allen

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either would be good, but with the 604c you could actually forget you've got a headlamp on.
With the 600Fc you're going to notice a dinner plate size brighter zone at about arms length that fades to your periphery.
The H600Fc is going to be the more useful all purpose light,
but for arm's length work and maximum peripheral vision, the 604c will be best. Maximum peripheral light also means that it's harder to avoid shining the light in other's eyes, but at least it's not focused with a reflector.

If I had only a Floody version, I could easily live without the clear lens spot & spill version, as well as do without the pure flood version.
If I only had the pure flood, I'd have to get one of the reflector versions as well.

Also consider runtimes; it might not matter in your case, just swap batteries as needed, but I find that with my MK II Floody and Pure Flood versions that comparable brightness for Good illumination for working at arm's length requires the middle H2 setting on the pure flood in order to match the floody on M1, so something like 4 hours vs 30 hours.

The MK II floody is an almost perfect compromise for a headlamp,
the MK II pure flood is unbeatable at arms length but somewhat disappointing beyond 20 feet or so even on H1 - to me.
The MK IV versions should be a little better in most every way.

Last edited:

Tuck

Newly Enlightened
Either would be good, but with the 604c you could actually forget you've got a headlamp on.
With the 600Fc you're going to notice a dinner plate size brighter zone at about arms length that fades to your periphery.
The H600Fc is going to be the more useful all purpose light,
but for arm's length work and maximum peripheral vision, the 604c will be best. Maximum peripheral light also means that it's harder to avoid shining the light in other's eyes, but at least it's not focused with a reflector.

If I had only a Floody version, I could easily live without the clear lens spot & spill version, as well as do without the pure flood version.
If I only had the pure flood, I'd have to get one of the reflector versions as well.

Also consider runtimes; it might not matter in your case, just swap batteries as needed, but I find that with my MK II Floody and Pure Flood versions that comparable brightness for Good illumination for working at arm's length requires the middle H2 setting on the pure flood in order to match the floody on M1, so something like 4 hours vs 30 hours.

The MK II floody is an almost perfect compromise for a headlamp,
the MK II pure flood is unbeatable at arms length but somewhat disappointing beyond 20 feet or so even on H1 - to me.
The MK IV versions should be a little better in most every way.

Thank you for the reply! I think I will go with the 604c since this will be single purpose light.

Thanks again!
Allen

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bet, and good luck!
For arm's length distances, the pure flood is going to be very hard to beat.