Imalent        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight H600Fc Mk IV - First Impressions

Default Re: Zebralight H600Fc Mk IV - First Impressions

If you want to describe the light's color accurately, you could use the xy or u'v' coordinates on CIE colorspaces or state the CCT (correlated color temperature) and duv (deviation from the black body radiator which i call tint). I also try to present this information in my reviews. CIE president Yoshi Ono has given many good presentations about the subject and what people actually prefer, this being one of them:

https://www.energystar.gov/sites/def...20Ohno%202.pdf
    Last edited by maukka; 02-06-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Enlightened

Reading that some users have issues with their lights on H1. Anybody experiencing issues with their FC?

Enlightened

For my H600Fc IV, H1 works fine until about 80% charge then after a few seconds it starts flickering for a moment and drops the output to maybe 300 lm. Sometimes a tailcap reset will fix it temporarily. I don't know if this is a real issue or just sensitive low voltage protection. In any case, I don't have enough reason to get a replacement.. I might be the only one so far

Quote Originally Posted by NPL View Post
    Reading that some users have issues with their lights on H1. Anybody experiencing issues with their FC?
    I get better performance when using a SC64c tail cap instead of the original one.

I did some tests and posted in the "Defective-zebralight H600FD MK IV" thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5183403

Enlightened

I am thinking about cancelling my pre-order due to these issues. The whole point of PID and what makes this feature on Zebralights fantastic is that it appears stepless to the human eye. The way H1 is acting seems to be an either poorly designer driver or poorly implemented PID in that setting...

Enlightened

I agree NPL, if my H1 was acting like others have reported, I would definitely have choked down the international shipping costs and sent it back. Based on what I've seen, I'm pretty lucky to even have a functioning H1, even if it's only available for cell charge >80%.

If ZL flat out deleted the 1568 lm mode, I would have still ordered it and would be completely happy with it. The light runs impressively well at 980 lm and that is bright enough for all my (and probably most others) applications.

It's a funny scenario... To recieve a light and have one advertised setting not work would be enough for me to send it back, but if that one setting did not exist in the first place, I would be content with the product..

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by likethevegetable View Post
    If ZL flat out deleted the 1568 lm mode, I would have still ordered it and would be completely happy with it. The light runs impressively well at 980 lm and that is bright enough for all my (and probably most others) applications.
    It's a funny scenario... To recieve a light and have one advertised setting not work would be enough for me to send it back, but if that one setting did not exist in the first place, I would be content with the product..
    "The light runs impressively well at 980 lm"

Are you see any low-freq. flicker / thermocontrol problems in 980lm and 590 lm modes, similar to problem, that founded by NPL in 1568lm mode ?

Enlightened

Does anybody NOT have issues in H1 mode?

My H1 works fine on all 3 samples I received.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by evgeniy View Post
    "

Are you see any low-freq. flicker / thermocontrol problems in 980lm and 590 lm modes, similar to problem, that founded by NPL in 1568lm mode ?
    Haven't seen any flicker below H1. PID seems to work fine for all modes. Used a fresh cell and H1 quite a bit outside today and it worked well.

My H600Fc's H1 mode is fine. As far as batteries so far I've used zebralight's ZL635 and sony VTC6

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post
    My H600Fc's H1 mode is fine. As far as batteries so far I've used zebralight's ZL635 and sony VTC6
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    My H1 works fine on all 3 samples I received.
    Does your H1 work with lower cell charges, say, "2 flashes"?

Flashaholic

Haven't seen any flicker below H1. PID seems to work fine for all modes.
    thanks.
    With new firmware we can simply change H1 from 1560lm to 980lm and resolve this issue.
    Last edited by evgeniy; 02-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.

I left it on H1 for quite awhile just now and then turned it off for a bit. After coming back to it, the battery check had "1 flash". I then it turned back on to H1, after a few seconds it flickered for half a second and then dropped down to what looks like M1. I'll try again maybe later this week to see what I get when the battery is at 2 flash. Oh, the sony vt6 battery voltage for this 1 flash test was at 3.10v according to a MC3000 charger (measured before charging).

Enlightened

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a test to find the actual cutoff cell voltage for mine. I gave the contacts a better clean than before and so far so good at 3.6V, which according to some people is about 50% charge.

Enlightened

My NCR18650GA was at 3.55V when the battery indicator was giving 2 flashes.

It would give one or to flickers when first turning it on and some small intermittent flickers, but it held on or 30 seconds before cutting out. The light was also very hot by this point so PID might have had something to with it. Wow this thing gets hot!

So for my light, I would say it runs H1 reliably for NCR18650GA cell voltages >3.6V, (about 50%) after that it's a few seconds burst.

Enlightened

Thanks for all the additional feedback. Up to 50% is not bad, but sounds like Zebralight cut some corners here and could have done a better job with implementation. I wonder on a full battery in a cold environment, how long H1 will last before it steps down visually?

I think non “high drain” batteries are sagging so much under the heavy load that they’re hitting the low voltage cutoff earlier than many people expected on H1.

Try a fresh VTC6 or 30q etc.

Enlightened

Thanks for all the additional feedback. Up to 50% is not bad, but sounds like Zebralight cut some corners here and could have done a better job with implementation. I wonder on a full battery in a cold environment, how long H1 will last before it steps down visually?
    FWIW I've ran H1 at -25°C for at least two minutes without visual step down, it was pretty hot and I turned off manually at that point. Next time I go for a night walk I'll push it further.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    I think non “high drain” batteries are sagging so much under the heavy load that they’re hitting the low voltage cutoff earlier than many people expected on H1.

Try a fresh VTC6 or 30q etc.
    I unfortunately gave my only 30Q to my vapaholic nephew for Christmas. Might buy some VTC6s in the future when they go on sale; Li-ion's in Canada are a tough pill to swallow... I like to buy multiple items from Illumn to spread the shipping fees.

Does your H1 work with lower cell charges, say, "2 flashes"?
    No, it doesn't. I run only unprotected cells with the H600FC. Anything protected will have too much resistance and thus give less voltage to the light after its drained a little bit, triggering the low voltage cutoff too early. The H600FC is the heaviest driven Zebralight I've had so far, it definitely needs unprotected high discharge cells for optimal H1 performance.

Enlightened

I kept running mine and it seems that the H1 was only cutting off sometimes between 2 and 1 flashes, then once the cell reached 1 flash, measured at 3.2 V, it would cut out each time. I think putting a lot more effort into cleaning the contacts helped my cause quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    CRI LEDs make things look "true"
    only if you believe incandescent is "true". The reference point is what I see as somewhat problematic to take 100 CRI as being "true"

Quote Originally Posted by niraya View Post
    only if you believe incandescent is "true". The reference point is what I see as somewhat problematic to take 100 CRI as being "true"
    It can be subjective...but 37 years of subjectivity for me. So I can only continue to trust what my eyes see.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

I kept running mine and it seems that the H1 was only cutting off sometimes between 2 and 1 flashes, then once the cell reached 1 flash, measured at 3.2 V, it would cut out each time. I think putting a lot more effort into cleaning the contacts helped my cause quite a bit
    You should get some Deoxit Gold. It will help keep your contacts clean and the resistance as low as possible. I use the liquid form(G100) on all of my lights as soon as I get them as it works great. The older ones you might want to clean with some Deoxit D Series first before using the Gold. Imo every flashaholic should have a supply of Deoxit D&G series on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It can be subjective...but 37 years of subjectivity for me. So I can only continue to trust what my eyes see.
    Right, but see when?
    Many illumination sources can be seen as most trustworthy and 100CRI.
    Incandescent is not more true for me than f.e. noon sunshine.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    You should get some Deoxit Gold. It will help keep your contacts clean and the resistance as low as possible. I use the liquid form(G100) on all of my lights as soon as I get them as it works great. The older ones you might want to clean with some Deoxit D Series first before using the Gold. Imo every flashaholic should have a supply of Deoxit D&G series on hand.
    Very interesting. Will def buy some of this. I wonder how this will affect the performance of H1 on the new xhp50 headlamps.

Flashaholic*

Very interesting. Will def buy some of this. I wonder how this will affect the performance of H1 on the new xhp50 headlamps.
    Well, it may or may not help with a brand new light but, more importantly it will maintain the highest level of performance possible and take contact resistance issues out of the equation. It also helps lubricate and lower wear over time. It's good stuff. Check out the product sheets on their site...

http://caig.com/technical-data/

By far the best light around, but the cheapest, most uncomfortable, poorly designed silicone holder on this planet. Leaves vertical indentations in your scull along with a headache if you wear it for an extended period of time. A real shame.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lumencrazy View Post
    By far the best light around, but the cheapest, most uncomfortable, poorly designed silicone holder on this planet. Leaves vertical indentations in your scull along with a headache if you wear it for an extended period of time. A real shame.
    Use the top strap and loosen the headband portion. You have it way too tight. If the top strap is adjusted properly the headband just needs to be barely snug and its secure.

If it still bothers you then grab an Armytek plastic holder or the Olight H2R headband.

Quote Originally Posted by niraya View Post
    Right, but see when?
    Many illumination sources can be seen as most trustworthy and 100CRI.
    Incandescent is not more true for me than f.e. noon sunshine.
    I guess I'm just going along with the majority, which is a standard I'll willingly accept.

When I buy bulbs that are 90+ CRI, I like them. I always have. I don't ask the manufacturer questions like "is this moonlight" or "compared to sunlight at 3:12 PM".
    GOOD TINT!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast