Another 9005/9006 upgrade question

Carguybill

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys(and !adies) has anyone tried the 9005/9006 upgrade on a 2007 rav4? Thanks in advance.

Carguybill

Newly Enlightened
The 2007 RAV4 already uses the HB3 (9005) for the high beam, and the HB4 (9006) for the low beam.

You're welcome.
I obviously wasn't very specific. I just got this car and the low beams are terrible. (High beams are about like low beams should be) I polished the lenses, but that didn't help much. Is there a better bulb like h11 that won't blare into oncoming traffic? Again thank you for your response!

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
H11 is not optically or physically compatible. If you had to polish the lenses, the headlamps were already dead (polishing doesn't revive the lenses as much as it looks like it does, and it's not just the lenses that deteriorate -- the reflectors do, too). So the first stage of "Operation: See at Night" is going to need to be a set of new genuine Toyota headlamps. That is very important; all of the non-Toyota aftermarket brands are pure junk, no matter how much baloney they throw around ("OEM quality", "DOT/SAE approved", "CAPA certified", etc etc). The ones you need are this one and this one -- those are really good prices on them, too).

The best low-beam bulbs you can install safely are these (looks like there's a rebate coupon on them, too). The best high-beam upgrade is this one, you'll have to trim a bit off of one of its extra-wide plastic tabs (as shown here and then it will fit (Amazon thinks it won't; ignore and buy anyway).

It will pay you big night-driving dividends to find a shop that has an optical headlamp aiming machine and uses it correctly. The headlamps (old or new) must be correctly aimed as per the specifications described here, and it really has to be done with the machine. "Oh, we shine them on a wall" is really not a good enough answer, so keep calling and asking until you find a dealer service department or premium body shop that gives the correct answer, then pay them to aim the headlamps.