Please recommend Headlamp 14500 compatible Zebralight H52 series-esque!

bentas

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, not sure how many people look at the WTB thread, should I put this in headlamp thread as well?

Just recently my Spark ST5 190NW

bought after this review years ago http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xAA-14500)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more! I bought this as an upgrade to my then modded (again CPF info http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?154135-P4-ed-Myo-XP-worlds-easiest-mod!) Petzl Tikka XP

was stolen! Ahh! I was very happy with this headlamp and despite it being 7 years old I felt no need to upgrade. Amazingly you can still buy them but no doubt technology has advanced enormously since then in output and runtimes (it is currently available with XM-L2) Also still available is the SG5 (this is an entertaining review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfb4pJAbrk)

After diving back into CPF vortex I've actually just ordered a ZLH600Fc but would still like to have a smaller one... for a lighter backpacking option and for my 5 year daughter to use whilst I'm using the larger 18650 ZL.

Seems the Zebralight H53Fc would be the modern equivalent (+there are a number of others including ArmyTek) but having just bought the new ZL I'm hoping to find a good used headlamp for the second one (hopefully a lot cheaper than the $59US with free shipping to Australia for the H53Fc). I like the idea of something that is older but modded with current LED + some other funky mods.

Features I liked about the Spark:

1. could use Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium - though I mostly used 14500 (headlamp also reverse polarity protected)
2. Neutral white tint - for more natural colours hiking (I know this tech has greatly improved now too)
3. memory mode
4. very bright - the 190 was with NiMH - way more powerful with 14500 up to 300Lm more
5. double click to super mode from any mode and back again
6 tough and water resistant IPX 8.
7. T body design... I actually like this, easy to access button and puts light source out so it doesn't shine on my nose or beanie as much but happy to try something else
8. Floody with wide hotspot done with frosted lens, easily unscrewable for a spotlight.
9. twistcap to prevent turning on in backpack/pocket

Feature I'd prefer this time:
1. a firefly mode
2. better CRI
3. longer run times
4. smaller and lighter (ST5 was,105 grams with headband and battery)

Thanks all, really looking forward to your replies. Ben
ps in Australia so may not get your replies until tomorrow night Australian time.

Last edited:

bentas

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTB Headlamp 14500 compatible Zebralight H52 series esque!

Anything out there? Thanks Ben

Nev

Banned

They're still available from zebralight.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does it have to be 14500 compatible? It seems there are more 16340 type headlamps than 14500. My favorite is the Olight H1 Nova NW (non rechargeable version). Other testing I have done between 14500 lights and 16340 is that there isn't much difference in performance even though the 14500 battery is typically 100mAh greater. The only advantage would be the use of AA along with 145000.........but this again presents other design issues with the wide voltage range between AA and 14500.........I have some light designers cheat with PWM for 14500 and current regulated for AA. Whereas the difference between CR123A and 16340 is more narrow and I only see current regulation on those types of batteries. But then again my testing sample wasn't huge.

Now I'm not that familiar with ZL as I've stayed away from them because of price........but I do know they make some of the best efficient drivers out there and so they may be doing a better job than others that I have tested.:)

nbp

Flashaholic

If you just want suggestions for a product, this belongs in the Recommend Me or Headlamps subforum. The WTB subforum is for members looking to purchase a specific item from another member, which it does not appear is what you are after here. You would get more replies in those forums. A Moderator can move it for you if you'd like.

bentas

Newly Enlightened

If you just want suggestions for a product, this belongs in the Recommend Me or Headlamps subforum. The WTB subforum is for members looking to purchase a specific item from another member, which it does not appear is what you are after here. You would get more replies in those forums. A Moderator can move it for you if you'd like.

Thanks nbp, wasn't sure what to do there, my parameters for what I wanted to buy were fairly specific I thought, but tried to keep flexible as I know there are a few brands with similar features. Even more exciting was the prospect of finding something homemade or modded in some way... I love that stuff! 👍

Thanks hiuitahs too, I did consider 16340 and others but loved my Spark ST5 as I used 14500's usually and sometimes my eneloops. Part of it too is that I'm still living in memory of younger traveling days where the flexibility of being able to use any AA size format would work, reality these days is that I'm only ever away for a few days at a time and that flexibility is no longer needed! Still like the idea of it I guess ☺️.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Seems like you are looking more for advice, than wanting to purchase a particular and definite item at this time.

... Thread moved to Headlamps ...