RCR123 batteries melting headlamp reflectors - need advice

anarky321

Newly Enlightened
batteries are NL166 Nitecore RCR123

headlamps are Princeton Tec Remix Pro (takes 1 CR123)

what i need to understand is what type of headlamp do I need that will work with these? any regulated headlamp? or will even a regulated headlamp overheat with RCR123's?

can anyone advise a lightweight single-123 headlamp that is regulated?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR1233 cells are 3 volts, which is what your Princeton Tec Remix Pro is rated for.
RCR123 and 16650 are 3.7 volts so they are too high a voltage for your light.
If you find a headlight that is rated for 3.7v cells you are home and dry.
"Regulated" generally means that the light output doesn't fall as the voltage of the cell falls. It doesn't have a lot to do with what voltage cells may be used.
Sorry if you already knew this, it wasn't obvious from your post.
P

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think this thread should either be in Battery or Headlamps instead ... OP, are you trying more to find a different battery option for your current headlamp, or a different headlamp for your new batteries ?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
anarky, looking through the manual of the Princeton Tec Remix Pro there is no mention that this headlamp will accept a RCR123 (or more often referred to as a 16340 rechargeable lithium ion cell). These lithium ion rechargeable cells are called a 3.7v cell but in reality that is the nominal voltage. They charge up to 4.20v. So that is almost a full volt higher than a new CR123A cell. If you were getting a melted situation, I'm surprised that something else hasn't burned up in it. I also noticed in the manual that it uses 5mm LEDs or a Maxbright LED (not sure whose LED a Maxbright is). If you happen to have the 5mm LED version, then it might not be a current regulated light. Without regulation, then a higher voltage power source would cause a higher current through the LEDs and cause more heat. At least that is my guess as to what is happening.

My recommendation is to get a headlamp that will accept either a CR123A or 16340 rechargeable battery :thumbsup:. My favorite in this format is the Olight H1 Nova. Olight puts that one on sale a couple of times each year for $32 and change.

Last edited: