Best single 18650 all-rounder?

ChrisDonaldson

Newly Enlightened
I've taken up running in the mornings (5AM to 6AM-ish) and need a good, lightweight, single-18650 light to accompany me.

Your recommendations would be most helpful.

The light must possess the following characteristics:
  • single 18650 only
  • lightweight and comfortable grip (especially for someone who sweats like a pig)
  • need a good combination of flood and throw

My initial impressions are that the Emisar D4vn or D4vn Titanium might fit the bill, but would certainly appreciate suggested alternatives. I'm partial to tail-clickies, but this isn't a deal-breaker.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
The criteria you mention include a wide swath of lights. The D4 would be too big for me to run, but the vn would be an awesome light.

There is a checklist in the Recommend me a light subforum that would help folks make recommendations. There are several threads on 1x18650 lights, and several on running/hiking headlamps.

ven

Flashaholic
Great suggestions, i will add zebralight to the mix. sc64 or sc600 mk IV, former more compact for carry.

markr6

Flashaholic
Will you be running this light the entire time, or just occasionally in dark spots?

p.s. any help on motivation for waking up and doing this? :) I just can't, but would like to.

ChrisDonaldson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the feedback.

Budget would be preferably not north of $100.

If anything, I want something that's going to be Vinh-bright so that there's no doubt that I'll be seen by the early risers driving to work.

Will you be running this light the entire time, or just occasionally in dark spots?

p.s. any help on motivation for waking up and doing this? :) I just can't, but would like to.

Probably running this for 45 mins up to 1.5 hrs a day. I'm doing about 3.5 miles (5.5 km) right now, with the goal to get up to 6ish miles (10 km) a day ultimately. TO BE SURE, I'm not doing this at anything approaching a respectable speed. I'm ridiculously slow, but the point is to just keep at it. My motivation is just that I need to lose the weight, and my time is limited, so mornings are the best bet before the family gets up.

Not looking for a headlamp. Want to keep this to a small, lightweight hand-held.

Again, thanks very much for the feedback.

sandalian

Enlightened
I'm sorry, I didn't see if it's under VN thread.
Will delete my comment when I get decent internet connection.

Keitho

Enlightened
Alright, now we're getting somewhere, a VN or equivalent, <$100, throwy for "be seen" conspicuity, 1.5 hour or more runtime, 1x18650, tail clicky if possible.

The stock L16 comes to mind. L16vn looks awesome, but goes over budget.

A ZL sc600 will be side clicky, less weight and size and throw, but more efficient at spending watts. SC64 even more frugal with the power.

For 1.5 hours runtime, the D1 or D4 (and almost any 1x18650) will have to be throttled back a bit. The infinite ramp of the Emisar UI is awesome, but it isn't easy to nail a specific power output in between max and 350 mA. The driver isn't nearly as efficient as a ZL driver, either (measured as lumen-hours per cell). But, if you're use is going to be clicking it on when a car is coming, then clicking it off, D1 or D4 are probably winners.

Keep in mind passive conspicuity. Something reflective on your ankles/feet, hands/wrists, and head make you jump out from background clutter, even in the peripheral vision of a distracted driver. I use some high performance tape, search 3m 983-10.

Be safe, best of luck!

ChrisDonaldson

Newly Enlightened
Alright, now we're getting somewhere, a VN or equivalent, <$100, throwy for "be seen" conspicuity, 1.5 hour or more runtime, 1x18650, tail clicky if possible.

The stock L16 comes to mind. L16vn looks awesome, but goes over budget.

A ZL sc600 will be side clicky, less weight and size and throw, but more efficient at spending watts. SC64 even more frugal with the power.

For 1.5 hours runtime, the D1 or D4 (and almost any 1x18650) will have to be throttled back a bit. The infinite ramp of the Emisar UI is awesome, but it isn't easy to nail a specific power output in between max and 350 mA. The driver isn't nearly as efficient as a ZL driver, either (measured as lumen-hours per cell). But, if you're use is going to be clicking it on when a car is coming, then clicking it off, D1 or D4 are probably winners.

Keep in mind passive conspicuity. Something reflective on your ankles/feet, hands/wrists, and head make you jump out from background clutter, even in the peripheral vision of a distracted driver. I use some high performance tape, search 3m 983-10.

Be safe, best of luck!

Thanks Keitho - this is great. I hadn't thought of the L16vn. A little over budget, but that's not necessarily a showstopper. Thanks again!

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what you are looking for, I also agree with the L16vn for what you are looking for. A little more heft means better heat management, great gripping, rear and side switch, perfect combination of spill and throw IMO, great amount of focused lumens, and you don't even have to remove the battery to recharge it; Just use your phone charger (or similar) and plug it in after the run.

ChrisDonaldson

Newly Enlightened
For what you are looking for, I also agree with the L16vn for what you are looking for. A little more heft means better heat management, great gripping, rear and side switch, perfect combination of spill and throw IMO, great amount of focused lumens, and you don't even have to remove the battery to recharge it; Just use your phone charger (or similar) and plug it in after the run.

Rock on! That's it. Ordered my L16vn. Cannot wait to get it.

Thank you all for your advice!

ChrisDonaldson

Newly Enlightened
So, just a quick follow-up on my purchase. Let me just say, land o' lakes! the L16vn rocks my world. Absolutely phenomenal light. Thanks Vinh for such a capable light in all respects!