Light Review: Jetbeam E01R and E10R USB Rechargeable EDC lights

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam are taking the concept of USB rechargeable EDC lights to a new level of convenience with their super compact E01R (AAA) and E10R (AA/14500), by hiding the charging port so well you would never guess they had this feature just by looking at them.

00-Jetbeam-E01E10R-feature-P1280616.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a more detailed look at the E01R:

Before we go into the detail of the E01R, these are the boxes for both the E01R and E10R models.
01-Jetbeam-E01E10R-boxed-P1280474.jpg

Included with the E01R is a USB cable, spare O-ring, quality lanyard, and the instructions.
02-Jetbeam-E01-contents-P1280476.jpg

Not to gloss over that lanyard, the cord is a type of piping with a round cross-section.
03-Jetbeam-E01E10R-lanyard-P1280483.jpg

This has a sliding toggle to allow you to secure it to your wrist.
04-Jetbeam-E01E10R-lanyard-P1280480.jpg

Fit and finish is excellent all over this light.
05-Jetbeam-E01-angle-P1280485.jpg

The E01R has a two way clip allowing for carry either way up, and also allowing it to be fitted to a baseball cap peak to act as a headlamp.
06-Jetbeam-E01-angle-clip-P1280491.jpg

A lanyard hole is included in the tail-cap and in the pocket clip.
06-Jetbeam-E01-rear-angle-P1280487.jpg

The power switch is a small metal button on the side of the light's head.
07-Jetbeam-E01-switch-P1280495.jpg

Though not an ultra compact AAA light, the E01R is still nice and small.
08-Jetbeam-E01-size-P1280504.jpg

Inside the tail-cap is a gold plated spring terminal.
09-Jetbeam-E01-tail-contact-P1280507.jpg

The threads are almost square, and are well lubricated.
10-Jetbeam-E01-threads-P1280512.jpg

And this is the trick up the E01R's sleeve. Unscrew the head of the light to reveal the micro-USB charging port.
11-Jetbeam-E01-charging-port-P1280516.jpg

A closer look at the charging port and threads.
12-Jetbeam-E01-USB-P1280518.jpg

With the head removed, you do not see the battery, instead there is a set of contacts for the connection to the head once refitted. Just next to the spring (at about 2 o'clock) is the indicator LED for charging.

(Wherever you see the 'Read MORE' marker, it indicates that the Extended Version of the review has additional content at that point. Viewing the extended version helps support further reviews, but please ensure you return to this Forum for comments and discussion.)

Inside the head are the matching set of contacts.
14-Jetbeam-E01-head-contacts-in-P1280525.jpg

For the E01R, there is a TIR optic with an XP-G2 LED hidden at its centre.
15-Jetbeam-E01-optic-P1280529.jpg

Unlike a lot of TIR optics, you can just about see the LED.
16-Jetbeam-E01-optic-front-P1280539.jpg

Charging the cell in the E01R is easy, simply plug in the powered USB cable. The E01R is small, as you can see by how large the USB plug looks.
17-Jetbeam-E01-charging-P1280546.jpg

Taking a more detailed look at the E10R:

Changing over to the E10R, and exactly as with the E01R there is a USB cable, spare O-ring, quality lanyard, and the instructions.
20-Jetbeam-E10R-box-contents-P1280549.jpg

Again the fit and finish is excellent, giving the light a refined look.
21-Jetbeam-E10R-angle-P1280555.jpg

The E10R is similar in size, relative to the battery, like the E01R is compared to its battery (so not the smallest AA light). Here the E10R is shown next to its two power source options,the NiMh AA (Eneloop), and a 14500 (an AW 14500).
22-Jetbeam-E10R-size-P1280560.jpg

A small metal button is used for the power switch, which is exactly the same size as the one on the E01R.
23-Jetbeam-E10R-switch-P1280563.jpg

Both the clip and the tail-cap have lanyard holes in them.
24-Jetbeam-E10R-rear-angle-P1280567.jpg

In the case of the E10R, the clip is a standard type. Even without the tail-cap loosened it is free to rotate to any position around the body.
25-Jetbeam-E10R-clip-P1280571.jpg

Inside the tail-cap is a gold plated spring terminal.
26-Jetbeam-E10R-tail-contact-P1280574.jpg

The threads are almost square, and are well lubricated.
27-Jetbeam-E10R-threads-P1280580.jpg

And like the E01R, unscrew the head of the E10R to reveal the micro-USB charging port.
28-Jetbeam-E10R-head-off-P1280582.jpg

A closer look at the micro-USB charging port and threads.
29-Jetbeam-E10R-charging-port-P1280585.jpg

With the head removed, you do not see the battery, instead there is a set of contacts for the connection to the head once refitted. Just next to the spring (at about 2 o'clock here) is the indicator LED for charging.
30-Jetbeam-E10R-head-contacts-P1280587.jpg

Inside the head are the matching set of contacts.
33-Jetbeam-E10R-head-contacts-in-P1280601.jpg

Charging the cell in the E10R is easy, simply plug in the powered USB cable.
31-Jetbeam-E10R-charging-P1280590.jpg

For the E10R, there is a smooth reflector with an XP-L HI LED at its centre.
32-Jetbeam-E10R-reflector-P1280593.jpg

The charging indicator LED is slightly hidden by a foam PCB cover. Here it is lit, showing the E10R is charging.
Indicating a 14500 is now fully charged, the charging light shows blue. (this is red if a NiMh is used)

The beam

Please be careful not to judge tint based on images you see on a computer screen. Unless properly calibrated, the screen itself will change the perceived tint.

The indoor beamshot is intended to give an idea of the beam shape/quality rather than tint. All beamshots are taken using daylight white balance. The woodwork (stairs and skirting) are painted Farrow & Ball "Off-White", and the walls are a light sandy colour called 'String' again by Farrow & Ball. I don't actually have a 'white wall' in the house to use for this, and the wife won't have one!

Although the beginning of the review starts with the E01R, for the beamshots, I'm starting with the E10R's beam. The combination of the small focused SMO reflector and XP-L HI LED gives a strong hotspot and wide usable spill. A good mixture for a compact EDC light with the output power a 14500 allows.
40-Jetbeam-E10R-indoor-beam-EXP-P1300434.jpg

At exactly the same exposure, the E01R looks a bit weak; this exposure is included to allow a direct comparison.
41-Jetbeam-E01R-indoor-beam-EXP-P1300437.jpg

Adjusting the exposure to show the E01R's beam more how your eyes would see it, we have a lovely wide smooth beam with a soft and gentle hotspot. A really useful close range beam.

Modes and User Interface:

Both the E01R and E10R operate in exactly the same way. The only UI difference is the charging indicator.

There are three modes, High, Medium and Low, plus a Strobe mode.

To turn the E01R/E10R ON, briefly press the switch. The last used constant mode is memorised.
To cycle through the modes High, Medium, Low, High, with the E01R/E10R ON, briefly press the switch.
To turn the E01R/E10R OFF, press and hold the switch for 2s.
To access Strobe mode, with the E01R/E10R ON or OFF, rapidly double tap the switch.
To exit Strobe, either briefly press the switch (to change to a constant mode), or press and hold the switch for 2s (to turn OFF).

When charging the E01R, a red light is shown during charging. When fully charged, the red light goes out.
When charging the E10R, using AA the red and green lights come on during charging. When fully charged, the green light goes out.
When charging the E10R, a red light is shown during charging. When fully charged, the blue light is shown.

Batteries and output:

The E01R runs on NiMh AAA (or AAA Alkaline without charging feature).
The E10R runs on NiMh AA (or AA Alkaline without charging feature) or Li-ion 14500.

To measure actual output, I built an integrating sphere. See here for more detail. The sensor registers visible light only (so Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet will not be measured).

Please note, all quoted lumen figures are from a DIY integrating sphere, and according to ANSI standards. Although every effort is made to give as accurate a result as possible, they should be taken as an estimate only. The results can be used to compare outputs in this review and others I have published.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
E01R or E10R using specified cellI.S. measured ANSI output LumensPWM frequency or Strobe frequency (Hz)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
E01R High – AAA1110
E01R Medium – AAA220
E01R Low – AAA20
E10R High – AW 145004570
E10R High – AA1640
E10R Medium – AA390
E10R Low – AA30

* Beacon and Strobe output measurements are only estimates as the brief flashes make it difficult to capture the actual output value.

There is parasitic drain in both lights. The drain in the E01R when using NiMh AAA was 41.3uA (2.21 years to drain the cell). The drain in the E10R when using NiMh AA was 69.8uA (3.11 years to drain the cell). The drain in the E01R when using 14500 was 86uA (1.19 years to drain the cell).

Where a light has built in charging, to best show how it really performs, the batteries have been charged using the built-in charger; This will show if cells are undercharged. First, note the totally flat output from the E01R, exhibiting excellent regulation on the output. Though the E10R is using an AA NiMh with 2100mAh (compared to the AAA's 800mAh), overall the performance of the E10R using AA is much closer to the E01R than you might expect when the E10R has nearly three times the cell capacity. This is either due to the built-in charger not fully charging the cell, or the driver circuit showing some inefficiency when powered by AA. The 14500 is where the E10R comes to life with nearly 500lm output, staying above 300lm for 25 minutes and only stepping down to below 200lm after 30 minutes.

Troubleshooting

This section is included to mention any minor niggles I come across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

The first E01R supplied would not charge. This seemed to be due to a connection issue with the micro-USB port. Jetbeam promptly replaced this under warranty and the replacement has functioned perfectly.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The E01R/E10R in use

Many USB rechargeable EDC lights have built-in batteries. Though very convenient, this means there is no option of replacing the battery with a fresh cell if you need more light than one cell will give you. Both the E01R and E10R run from standard cells, so whether you use the built-in charging, or not, you can still swap out empty cells for fresh as needed. Both will also run on an alkaline cell, so you are covered in all ways.

Unlike those convenient EDC lights with built-in cells, the E01R and E10R give you that extra level of confidence. Crucially of course you get the performance of a 'proper' light.

By hiding the USB charging port inside the head, the port is protected by the O-ring seal of the head. A simple design feature which makes the light just as waterproof as any other non-rechargeable light. This has got to be one of the most important aspects of the way Jetbeam have designed the charging of theses lights; in the majority of cases a USB charging port does compromise the waterproofing - not here.

My main criticism of these lights is with the UI. Firstly the button is quite small and sometimes not easy to hit first time. Secondly the fact that you need to press and hold the switch for 2s to turn it off is quite annoying. Personally I'd much rather the output went on and off with a brief press, and the mode change was a 2s press, but unfortunately it is not.

Another minor annoyance, but probably unavoidable, is that the clips press onto the side of the head, meaning they rub against the anodising as you unscrew the head for recharging. I lift the clip slightly before unscrewing the head to avoid wearing the anodising prematurely - many wouldn't bother.

Finding the switch can prove challenging by feel, so it can be a little frustrating when you miss the button. I have made this a bit more reliable by lining up the clip so it is opposite the button, but the clip is not held tightly and can still rotate, so this method can end up failing. Also, in gloves, you have no hope at all of finding where the button is, so end up working your way round the head until you hit the right spot. The flip side to this is that the lines of these lights are very streamlined and clean looking.

Moving past these niggles, and onto the beams, the E01R has an outstanding EDC beam. Wide, smooth and perfect for short distance and indoor use. It is also surprisingly bright even with only 111lm. The levels are very well chosen, with Medium being the most useful for general purposes. Neither model includes a genuinely low, low, moon mode, but the low level at 2-3lm is probably more useful for those situations where you want a low level but your eyes are not fully dark adapted; even if they are, the 2lm level is not shockingly bright (it is amazing how little light your eyes really need if given the chance).

More and more lights are including USB recharging, simply because it is much more convenient to charge the battery without taking it out, (and you don't need to buy a dedicated charger). Jetbeam have achieved this with the E01R and E10R without compromising the style, integrity or function of the lights, and in the E10R have a charger that can charge NiMh and Li-ion!

Review Summary

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Things I likeWhat doesn't work so well for me
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Fully concealed, and O-ring protected, USB charging port.Power switch is fiddly.
Can run on NiMh or Alkaline (and Li-ion for the E10R).Need to hold the switch for 2s to turn off.
Excellent EDC beam.Pocket clip is always free to rotate.
E01R has perfectly regulated output.
E10R's charging indicator shows if it is NiMh or Li-ion.
Lockout with 1/4 turn of tail-cap.

00-Jetbeam-E01E10R-feature-P1280613.jpg

(Moderators, there is a reciprocal link at the end of every review on Tactical Reviews.)

Round-Sticker-V1-0.png

CPF-Trusted-Stamp-200-background.png

Taz80

Enlightened
Thank you for the in depth review. The E01R looks like it would be a good EDC light. My only worry with that side switch would be accidentally illuminating your pocket once in a while.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the in depth review. The E01R looks like it would be a good EDC light. My only worry with that side switch would be accidentally illuminating your pocket once in a while.

These lights actually have a lock-out function. Pressing and holding the button will activate the lock-out, flashing the emitter to indicate so. I can say with 100% certainty for the E10R given I own one and am currently field-testing it for review.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked to see if they charge an empty AA or AAA NiMh cell fully, As when released they would only charge an NiMh cell to 50% of capacity when you do an discharge capacity test on the supposedly full cells.

Li-ion cells charge fully. No problem.

I have the AAA version as wanted the AA version but am holding of buying till the NiMh charging issue is fixed.

Thanks

John.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review.

I'm quite fond of the E10R though I have exactly the same issues as the OP regarding the button and UI, a fact I discuss in my "Real World Review".
I finally resorted to cutting a mild slot in the head and filling it with "glow in the dark" paint so that I have a visible and tactile witness mark for finding the button.
Still about impossible locate with gloves though.

I added a link to your review into my "Real World Review" of the E10R.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights actually have a lock-out function. Pressing and holding the button will activate the lock-out, flashing the emitter to indicate so. I can say with 100% certainty for the E10R given I own one and am currently field-testing it for review.

Thanks for raising this, as (now I've double checked) the instructions definitely don't mention the lockout, however it does work for both the E01R and E10R. Holding the switch (from OFF) for four seconds toggles the lockout on and off. There is also the physical lockout of a half turn of the tail-cap. Personally I've found that those instances where the switch gets pressed accidentally, this can often be for long periods (typically in a bag, but also pocket carry when sitting down), so most press and hold electronic lockout methods become not much use.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for raising this, as (now I've double checked) the instructions definitely don't mention the lockout, however it does work for both the E01R and E10R. Holding the switch (from OFF) for four seconds toggles the lockout on and off. There is also the physical lockout of a half turn of the tail-cap. Personally I've found that those instances where the switch gets pressed accidentally, this can often be for long periods (typically in a bag, but also pocket carry when sitting down), so most press and hold electronic lockout methods become not much use.

You're welcome. I also agree that electronic lock-out functions have their limitations. For pocket-carry, they make a lot of sense and it's also easier to get the flashlight on again with one hand. However, if one is short-term storing the flashlight or transporting it in a bag, glove box, etc. then a physical lock-out like loosening the tail cap is a more reliable method.

Latest posts