Review: Nitecore TINI: rechargeable edc-light; XP-G2 S3; 380 lumens; (beam)shots

kj75

Enlightened
After the release of the popular Nitecore TIP I was wondering how compact a flashlight that puts out around 400 lumens could be… Nitecore answered my question by releasing the TINI. About the same output, but much more compact. This tiniest Nitecore ever produced has a special reflector and lens for best performance, micro-usb recharge option, is programmable and has a lot of special features. In this review we'll have a nearby look to the TINI; the details are shown by a bunch of pictures, and we will go outside to see how this light performs in the dark by a couple of comparison beamshots. So, let's start the story of this special everyday carry keychain light!

the new Nitecore TINI
2yzakiv.jpg

the most compact flashlight ever made by manufacturer
n48k7s.jpg

powered by a XP-G2 S3 LED
ngyec0.jpg

featherlight and usb-recheargable
14e87qh.jpg

As usual, we'll start by having a look at the specs, given by Nitecore:

Features:

● Utilizes a CREE XP - G2 S3 LED to emit maximum 380 lumens
● Utilizes bead surface optics lens for uniform and soft light
● Built-in 280mAh Li-ion battery provides a max runtime up to 60 hours
● Intelligent protective circuit supports micro USB charging
● Demo mode and daily mode selectable
● 4 brightness levels selectable with direct access to turbo
● Intelligent memory function
● High efficient constant current circuit provides constant illumination
● Integrated ATR module
● Integrated power indicator LEDs display remaining battery power
● Aero grade aluminum alloy
● 1.5 meters impact resistance

Dimensions:

· Head diameter: 0.59" / 15.04mm
· Size: 1.7" ( 43.3mm) x 1"/ (25.4mm) x 0.45"(11.5mm)
· Weight: 0.47oz / 13.4gram

And the output specs:
5f5iqc.jpg

Unboxing:

A short story about the package this time: A very small box arrived that had a small bag with only blue colored TINI. So, if you want to see the box, just take a look at your dealer's website. For what I've seen, it looks ok, like always. But I can't show you my own pics here..

the TINI on a keychain
28l8lqx.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: So tiny! I never had my hands on to a flashlight that was as small as this one. The earlier released Nitecore TIP is a thumb-sized light, but the TINI has about length of half a thumb! I'll show you the two next to each other later in this review. The TINI has nice appearance because of the metallic colors and the silver accents that we find back on the buttons and around the lens and the charging port. The body is constructed of aluminum, but the silver accents and the buttons are made of plastic. The TINI is a featherlight, I often asked me if I actually carried it or not. To prevent loss, you have to add it to you keychain or a small pocket that can be locked. The little pocket in your trousers (for coins) is a very good place to store it. The overall build-quality and finishing is good, only my sample had some little unevenness at the silver edge in the middle of the body. Even after a longer time been used, the metallic lacquer is still in perfect condition. The engraving is done well, but I still don't like the big "C E" and trash bin icon. The buttons at the lights' side and the ring on the back to add it on a keyring have a bit slack, but the buttons have a clear pressure point. This seems one of the reasons why this light is "only" IP54-rated. Striking is the renewed lens: Nitecore names it "bead-surface" lens; this simply means that it is equipped by a diffuser-lens to get a equal beam out of it. So, it's hard to see or the XP-G2 S3 is centered well, let's say this is done well by Nitecore. The light stands stable on its side; tail isn't possible, either needed. At the bottom we see the micro-usb charging port, covered by a rubber that protects well from dust and water. So, my overall impressions are good about the TINI; I used it for some months now and I have to say that this little one stands it all without any problems. Please scroll down to watch a couple of pictures that show you more details about the TINI!

the TINI has an unique design
2cxawlf.jpg

comes in several nice metallic colors
oady1k.jpg

such a compact flashlight
10gg2fb.jpg

blue with silver accents
2cp9e2e.jpg

on the bottom the charging port, ideal is stable standing too
24c46.jpg

can be carried almost and everywhere
2nl4i0z.jpg

I often carry it in my coin-pocket
2i1mvrt.jpg

special lens for equal beam
blxti.jpg

the laser engraving is done well
so08px.jpg

IP54-rated, so don't dive with this one..
24eys1j.jpg

a look at the XP-G2 S3 LED
2mgsho6.jpg

a look at the back with the carrying-ring
23htz5k.jpg

compared to a 18650-cell
j7z1io.jpg

the lacquer is still in perfect condition after some months use
2cyn1he.jpg

electroplated silver parts
2nalkas.jpg

overall fit and finish is good
21myhib.jpg

nice styling: buttons with power-indicators built-in
30w84lg.jpg

the usb-charging port is protected by a rubber cover
2exptaq.jpg

some user need a tools to release the cover because of its small size
2u4hf7m.jpg

best controlled by your thumb and finger
6f8nxx.jpg

surprising bright for such a tiny one!
a2vno9.jpg

Nitecore reunion: TINI, TIP and LR10 lantern
2na8879.jpg

some comparison pictures here, the TINI next to the TIP
34rt3pv.jpg

to me, the TIP has better controls thanks to the stiff structure
j16738.jpg

same LED, but wider optics and a diffusing lens for the TINI
11vmazd.jpg

about half the size of the TIP
2n17rm8.jpg

the TINI in the snow
zx3b5u.jpg

User interface:

The TINI is the smallest Nitecore-flashlight that I had my hands-on until now. I know there's a NU05 too, but that's a headlamp. Although it has a sleek design, the TINI hasn't slipped out of my fingers yet after some months use. This is thanks to the shape. This Nitecore is featherlight, if you don't wear it on your keychain, you'll double-check regularly or its still in your pocket, I'm sure. Because I always take care of my flashlights, I don't add my lights to my keyring. I don't like scratches due to sharp keys.. The favorite place to wear the TINI is my jeans' coin pocket. So, no matter what's your dress, this light will fit always!

The TINI has a micro-USB charging port. It takes some effort to remove the protecting-rubber; I mostly use a small tool for this job. But I'm happy with this: this means that the cover will protect well against dust and water. Charging is an easy job; during the progress the blue light in the buttons blink until the TINI is fully charged. Charging a depleted battery (I couldn't turn on the light anymore) took about two hours with an 1A charger. If the blue button-lights are constantly on, the charging-job is done. I had no issues with this; only thing is that you have to take care while plugging the jack into the charging port, because this light is so small.

The sleek buttons (maybe stiff would be better) have the same shape. Only difference here is the glowing icon in the button, but that can't be seen that easy while operating in total darkness. So, some exercise is needed to use the TINI, but actually, it can't go wrong. About the buttons: At first sight, they may feel slightly unsteady; but after longer use I don't have any problems with this. The controls have a clear pressure point, and accidentally turning-on has rarely happened to me.

Just like the TIP, the TINI is programmable and has two modes. Switching or selecting your desired mode is an easy job. Press and hold the two buttons at same time when the light is off: One flash means that the TINI is in DEMO-mode, two flashes and the light is turned in DAILY-mode. The only difference between the two modes is the time that the light will be on. In DEMO, the light will turn itself off after 30 seconds, no matter what output mode is selected. This economical mode is meant for a quick check or to avoid running out of power when the light will turn on accidentally in your pocket. This is a nice find in my opinion, even because the TINI misses a lock-out mode.

So, back to the interface now: It's logical that the on/off-button is for turning on and off. Press and hold for about a second to turn on, a single click to shut off. The TINI start is last memorized mode. Select your desired mode by the mode-button by a single click. Works easy and smooth. To protect the light against damage and to save the little battery, Turbo is only momentary: Press and hold (both from off or on) to activate the maximum output-mode; if you release, the light will go back to the mode in which you started turbo. With full battery, you can use turbo for a quite long time, let's say up to some minutes. Longer pressing and holding the button will tire your fingers. In practice, the high mode is enough for me, and I use the turbo mostly for a quick check or to show other people how powerful this little light is… In standby, the mode button can be used to check the remaining power: Three blinks for good to full battery, two means below 50% and just one blink tells you that you need to recharge in short. I have to say to I like this thought out-interface and like the DEMO and DAILY modes. DEMO-mode has a special feature: I you turn on the light within two seconds after the automatically turn-off, it will stay on continuously. Nice find if thirty seconds is too short to finish your task.

Modes:

Four output modes on the TINI, including a good 1 lumen low. This is a standard option at almost any Nitecore, which a lot of user will like. Output modes are: LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. Modes are well spaced, maybe an extra mode from around 10 lumen would be a good addition. TURBO is momentary, the TINI hasn't any direct mode either. In my opinion, it's nice that a light of these dimensions has four modes including momentary; special modes are not directly needed on a mini-light like these.

Size comparison:

For comparison, I picked the "big" TIP-brother and the MecArmy SGN7. These lights have about the same lumens as the TINI, but difference in reflectors or used LEDS. The pictures below show that the TINI is a real mini-flashlight. Later in this review, I'll take these three outdoors for a shoot-out.

Nitecore TINI, Nitecore TIP and MecArmy SGN7
2enz4ep.jpg

Nitecore TINI, Nitecore TIP and MecArmy SGN7
2h6g28n.jpg

MecArmy SGN7, Nitecore TIP and Nitecore TINI
254v57c.jpg

the heads: all powered by XP-G2 LEDS, S3 for TIP and TINI, S2 for SGN7
15qxkdh.jpg

the backs: Nitecore TINI, Nitecore TIP and MecArmy SGN7
264m2yh.jpg

Beamprofile:

The TINI emits a "soft" broad beam. This is what this little one is made for: Lighting up a large area at shorter distance. The beam shows a big hotspot that smoothly turns into the corona and the spill. Outside this will bring a little torch that will perform at its best at, let's say, up to 25 to 30 meters at highest level. These characteristics of the TINI make it an ideal light for everyday carry; the lowest level will guide you through your dark home at night without disturbing others. Turbo for a quick check and medium and high during a walk. The beam is free of defects and PWM; this is again a big plus. Please scroll down to watch my beamshots!

Tint:

The tint of the TINI looks ok. It's coolwhite, like the others lights that I showed you in this review, but when we compare the three on a white wall, the beam of the TINI shows a more neutral tint.

vn02va.jpg

Beamshots:

Time to check the output of the TINI! As usual, we start indoors by shining at a white wall. The four modes here, followed by a GIF. Distance to the wall about 0.75 meters.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
w1qmtz.jpg

9rlvn9.jpg

2lxjuyb.jpg

11r9llg.jpg

GIF
260ekc8.jpg

Let's have a look now what this little one brings outside. I chose a location near to a little port with a tree-line at my right hand. Starting by the four output-modes of the TINI. Sorry for "disturbing" the photo's of the lights with my hand on highest level: this is because Turbo is a burst-mode, so I can't release the button while capturing.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2v3h7x3.jpg

s4wah5.jpg

160x89w.jpg

2vamr6r.jpg

GIF
2clkxw.jpg

A picture here with the TINI in hand. This shot shows how it looks in real life: A wide beam at shorter distance.

the Nitecore TINI at turbo
2qd0cnk.jpg

Time now to see how the TINI performs against the others that I showed you before. Firstly, another photo of the TINI on maximum output; standing this time at the right side.

the Nitecore TINI at maximum output
2vvtmxf.jpg

The Nitecore TIP should emit 20 lumens less than the TINI, but seems brighter than its little brother. A big reason why is the lens that doesn't spread the beam.

the Nitecore TIP at maximum output
33keucm.jpg

The MecArmy SGN7 has about 200 lumens more than the Nitecore, which you can see back on the picture. It has a deeper and larger reflector and has about two and a half the dimension of the TINI.

the MecArmy SGN7 at maximum output
25ivo5c.jpg

Conclusion:

Mostly, I publish my report about a light after some weeks. The Nitecore TIP was tested for several months, and… it's still in my pocket. Every day! This is a very good light to wear in your coin-pocket. It's easy to use, has enough brightness in daily situations, doesn't have parasitic drain and is programmable.

I think user would like to see a lock-out on this light, and the rubber buttons that the TIP has. But I like the looks of the silver buttons. And maybe the manufacturer can improve the water resistance to an higher level.

But I can recommend this little TINI for those who look for a mini-light that has so much output to its size many options!

Nitecore TINI provided for review by Nitecore

Last edited: