Fitorch        
Page 35 of 100 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435363738394041424585 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 2978

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Yes, he sure does. No brass version yet.
    ..and no NRA Blue Cerakote! Still can't believe I missed on those. One day someone will let one go and I hope I'm in the right place at the right time...

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Dear HDS Overlord,

Where did you get the tritium bezel?
    I had them made. I found a machinist who would make some for us last year. One style is now sold out but he's got a couple left of the other. He's in the process of setting up some new machinery but the possibility of another batch is still on the table, maybe even a run of titanium, but not sure when/if that'll happen. See here: https://yourlittlecncshop.com/produc...ashlight-bezel

Flashaholic

+2 -- Did same custom bezel maker offer the etched Marines logo?

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    +2 -- Did same custom bezel maker offer the etched Marines logo?
    No that one's straight from HDS, but is pretty rare. I think those bezels are made available to the military, but my example is one of the demo lights used by Henry when he pitched the DOD for the contract. There were 5 of them I think, and he and hogo put them up for sale to the community after they got the contract.

Flashaholic

The SEALS logo is a very nice score!! And, a very impressive collection!

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    ..and no NRA Blue Cerakote! Still can't believe I missed on those. One day someone will let one go and I hope I'm in the right place at the right time...
    You can try to get one from Nick
    Last edited by kaichu dento; 05-26-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

A little birdie landed on my shoulder and told me that there are some more of these special LEDs to be had.

I am not affiliated in any way with this. I just thought there might be a chance for Hogo and Henry to score more LEDs.

Clemence is selling the very last batch of 4000k and 4500k N219b 9080 leds. Get some while you can.
    http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60638

This thread needs more pics, so here's my newest arrival, a flat-tail 219b Rotary (to which I've added a Moddoo clip and trit-bezel), along with the rest of the family.
    Oh my, envy doesn't even cover it.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 05-24-2018 at 03:59 PM.

You can try to get one from Nick!

I assume you have a Forensic Blue in there as well?

I might be interested in a non-trit version if you ever do a run of them.
    Who is this "Nick" and how do I reach him?

No, actually I don't have a forensic blue. Hunter green in the green cerakote, Deep red in the red cerakote, but the rest are all white emitters.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
    A little birdie landed on my shoulder and told me that there are some more of these special LEDs to be had.

I am not affiliated in any way with this. I just thought there might be a chance for Hogo and Henry to score more LEDs.

Clemence is selling the very last batch of 4000k and 4500k N219b 9080 leds. Get some while you can.
    http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60638

Oh yeah, I'm very familiar with these. I bought quite a bit in an earlier buy and have put them in all sorts of lights, including my orange cerakote with now sports a SW45k. They're amazing emitters and everyone should have some to play with.

I received my high CRI executive today. Typically I don't like to select modes by clicking, but this light is different because the modes are not in a scroll pattern. Having a rotary and an executive means having options, but I dare say I like the UI of the clicky more. When I use the rotary, I always seem to have the knob in the wrong place. Also, when using the rotary, I don't need a cornucopia of sub-lumen levels. I like the way the clicky simplifies the matter. I tried changing some of the presets on the clicky, but I discovered the wisdom of the factory settings.

User interface aside, the tactile sensation of clicking the raised button is a joy.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I received my high CRI executive today. Typically I don't like to select modes by clicking, but this light is different because the modes are not in a scroll pattern. Having a rotary and an executive means having options, but I dare say I like the UI of the clicky more. When I use the rotary, I always seem to have the knob in the wrong place. Also, when using the rotary, I don't need a cornucopia of sub-lumen levels. I like the way the clicky simplifies the matter. I tried changing some of the presets on the clicky, but I discovered the wisdom of the factory settings.

User interface aside, the tactile sensation of clicking the raised button is a joy.
    i just got a clicky too after three years with a rotary. Thought it was the best until I realized I could only go one direction in lumen levels. If I want to go to a previous lumen level I have to cycle through the off position. So I will always own at least one rotary but the clicky will be the workhorse.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 05-24-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Try reprogramming a hds twisty!!! ....
    Would prefer not to have to do this again, but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    On programming my HDS lights it helps a lot to write down in advance the goal for each brightness setting and each function setting before you program. Also, have the manual in front of you. Do not try to memorize anything.
    Good advice, I agree.

I received my high CRI executive today. Typically I don't like to select modes by clicking, but this light is different because the modes are not in a scroll pattern. Having a rotary and an executive means having options, but I dare say I like the UI of the clicky more.... User interface aside, the tactile sensation of clicking the raised button is a joy.
    I feel likewise.

i just got a clicky too after three years with a rotary. Thought it was the best until I realized I could only go one direction in lumen levels. If I want to go to a previous lumen level I have to cycle through the off position. So I will always own at least one rotary but the clicky will be the workhorse.
    Your post above confuses me .... I can easily change modes, up or down, without turning off ???
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

That doesn't seem right.

From B:
    2 clicks -> C or 3 click -> D or click + hold -> A

From C:
    2 clicks -> B or 3 clicks -> D or click + hold -> A

From A:
    2 clicks -> B or C (depending on which is most recent) or 3 clicks -> D

From D:
    2 clicks -> B or C (depending on which is most recent) or click + hold -> A

If you're in B or C, you can go directly to any other mode (this is why B and C should be your most commonly used modes). From your specialty modes, A and D, you can go directly to the other specialty mode or the most recent common mode. You can always get to your previous mode without turning the light off first.

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean when you say "have to cycle through the off position".

Edit: my clickie is from 2010. If the UI has changed such that what I've said is no longer true, I apologize.

--flatline
    Last edited by flatline; 05-24-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Your post above confuses me .... I can easily change modes, up or down, without turning off ???
    I was wondering about this, too. Thought maybe I had misunderstood?

One thing I don't like about the factory settings is that there is no direct access to low. You have to choose something brighter, then triple click. Trouble is that I don't need low unless my eyes are dark adapted, in which case the bright flash from another mode is, to say the least, unpleasant.

It appears that the only way to avoid this is to reprogram the "B" setting as the low mode?

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post

I have my executive set up for moonlight, medium, high, and max. I cannot go from max to medium without cycling through the off position.

I have my executive set up for moonlight, medium, high, and max. I cannot go from max to medium without cycling through the off position.
    Which preset do you have set to maximum? And which one is medium?

I was wondering about this, too. Thought maybe I had misunderstood?

One thing I don't like about the factory settings is that there is no direct access to low. You have to choose something brighter, then triple click. Trouble is that I don't need low unless my eyes are dark adapted, in which case the bright flash from another mode is, to say the least, unpleasant.

It appears that the only way to avoid this is to reprogram the "B" setting as the low mode?
    Yes, on most of my Clicky, "B" is set to low.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Which preset do you have set to maximum? And which one is medium?
    I believe it is 1. Max, 2. Moonlight, 3. Medium, and, 4. High. So, first click is moonlight, two clicks when on is medium, three clicks when on is high, and a click press and release when on is max.

i wake up with this light in pitch black darkness so the first click has to be moonlight.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 05-24-2018 at 07:00 PM.

I believe it is 1. Max, 2. Moonlight, 3. Medium, and, 4. High. So, first click is moonlight, two clicks when on is medium, three clicks when on is high, and a click press and release when on is max.

i wake up with this light in pitch black darkness so the first click has to be moonlight.
    I just got mine today, so forgive me if I'm way off base here. I'm trying to learn something.

I turn on my light. Double click and hold gives me maximum. If I want to go to medium, I just double click. It is not necessary to turn off the light in between.

I'm afraid I don't understand what your problem is then. With the programming you describe a double-click while in max will take you to medium without cycling through off.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

You should never have to turn the light off to get to A, B, C, or D settings.
    A double click will always toggle between B and C.
    A triple click will always take you to D.
    A press (when on) or a click press will always take you to A.

Now, you can set your light up in interesting ways by turning off the turn on preset (mode memory... which is disabled from the factory). If you toggle this off, the light will come on in whichever setting is was turned off. Now, if you toggle the turn on preset back on (canceling mode memory) it is important to know which setting you were in when you toggled it off. Example: I toggle the turn on preset off, I then go to light output D, then toggle the turn on preset on. My light will now always come on in preset D. In this instance, if D is moonlight, you can only access C with two clicks, then you have to do 2 more clicks to access B. This would only be one of the few cases you would need to toggle through a setting, but you wouldn't have to turn it off.

Clear as mud.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Who is this "Nick" and how do I reach him?
    NBP. He's the one who pushed for the NRA Blue run in the first place. Sorry, it was supposed to have been funny, since there's no way he'd probably ever part with that one.
    Last edited by kaichu dento; 05-26-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I like the way the clicky simplifies the matter. I tried changing some of the presets on the clicky, but I discovered the wisdom of the factory settings.
    The only time I've found a need to tweak factory levels on my Clicky's has been when I was in very low light on a regular basis. The default lowest level is pretty good most of the time but used to be way too high when I was around aurora photographers in the dark.

One of the reasons my 140 is here to stay!

Just to make sure you get a response from everyone in the forum I'll weigh in too!

No cycling with the Clicky, just different sets of click commands. Get comfortable with your two double-click positions, figure out the triple-click and you're most of the way there. Momentary high from any other setting is great too.

You already know about click-push from off for high I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand what your problem is then. With the programming you describe a double-click while in max will take you to medium without cycling through off.
    Wow! Yes, you are correct. Thank you. Apologize as this is my first 10 days with a clicky.

My mis-understanding is that I was thinking in terms of one cycle of clicks and not a continuous cycle of clicks.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 05-25-2018 at 03:12 AM.

great too.

You already know about click-push from off for high I assume?
    Yes, thank you. Also have the pseudo momentary and momentary on so I can do a double click-push and hold from off for a momentary high. Now I just need someone to pass the "Brownies" :-).

Also have the pseudo momentary and momentary on so I can do a double click-push and hold from off for a momentary high.
    Those are absolute must settings for sure.

Now for another of my favorites, make sure auto-off is activated and you'll never have a dead battery from an accidental button click. It also acts as a timer when you're working for a long time as it's about a 10 minute interval before it starts ramping down. One more click and you're back to your selected level.

After 3 weeks' wait, I received my custom HDS Rotary order yesterday (rotary, Hcri 200 lm, svr bzl, blk bdy, sapphire, 123, flush btn, no clip), and found it somewhat underwhelming.

The rotary control has visible steps and an odd lagginess, nothing like the smooth continuous ramp of my old Surefire Titan T1A or even Nitecore SRT9. The knurling is aggressive and cuts into my palms in a way I've never experienced with any other brand. Size-wise it's quite large, as big as my 18650 Zebralight SC600FcIV+ with its much longer runtime and power. The little bit of metal that butts against a set screw to prevent the rotary control from going more than 360º is rough and unpolished.

On the plus side, the beam pattern is a nice combo of hot spot and floody spill, and the low is a true moonlight.
    Last edited by majid; 05-26-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by majid View Post
    After 3 weeks' wait, I received my custom HDS Rotary order yesterday (rotary, Hcri 200 lm, svr bzl, blk bdy, sapphire, 123, flush btn, no clip), and found it somewhat underwhelming.

The rotary control has visible steps and an odd lagginess, nothing like the smooth continuous ramp of my old Surefire Titan T1A or even Nitecore SRT9. The knurling is aggressive and cuts into my palms in a way I've never experienced with any other brand. Size-wise it's quite large, as big as my 18650 Zebralight SC600FcIV+ with its much longer runtime and power. The little bit of metal that butts against a sore to prevent the rotary control from going more than 360º is rough and unpolished.

On the plus side, the beam pattern is a nice combo of hot spot and floody spill, and the low is a true moonlight.
    Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. Can you post some photos of the knurling and the stopper tab on the rotary dial? Both of my HDS lights are grippy enough, but overall pretty smooth.

Concerning the visible steps of brightness, the HDS is advertised as having 24 distinct levels, each being dialed in logarithmically for an even but meaningful change in output.

Quote Originally Posted by majid View Post

The rotary control has visible steps and an odd lagginess, nothing like the smooth continuous ramp of my old Surefire Titan T1A or even Nitecore SRT9. The knurling is aggressive and cuts into my palms in a way I've never experienced with any other brand. Size-wise it's quite large, as big as my 18650 Zebralight SC600FcIV+ with its much longer runtime and power. The little bit of metal that butts against a sore to prevent the rotary control from going more than 360º is rough and unpolished.

You're comparing it to lights that use a hall-effect magnetic sensor to control the output, which does result in a smoother "ramping" type of interface but has much worse efficiency. HDS isn't infinite - its discreet, regulated levels with a "stepper" control to move through them, like having a 24 mode light with a really clever way to access them. So yeah, you can see the steps. Its worth the trade-off though, for most of us.

As for the knurling, I also noticed my latest has slightly more aggressive knurling (althought I'd stop well short of calling it aggressive or sharp) but honestly I was thrilled with that. No risk of slippery lights at all, and it makes the rotary mechanism a lot easier to use than some of my others. And it definitely doesn't cut my hand. I love it myself. I'm not sure about the little metal bit though, mine's fine but yours could be sharper.

Worst case, if you really don't like it, HDS has a solid return policy: https://www.hdssystems.com/Content/Warranty/#Return

More aggressive knurling? Another positive change at HDS. Perhaps I should buy even more..

Page 35 of 100 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435363738394041424585 ... LastLast