Klarus        
Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46868990919293949596
Results 2,851 to 2,870 of 2870

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Does Hogo getting to moderate this thread give him free passes from the moments of heat with the mods and members

I'm confused about the thread being an issue in the general forum but I hope this is another move in the right direction. The only downfall for me is that i am all over the place now; where i used to only go to the general led flashlight section. These new changes may or may not make it easier for the forum, but more difficult for the members...or at least myself.

I guess i will just have to learn to navigate in a different fashion.

Thanks for the explanation

So I think this is cool, much easier to find HDS info now, plus we can start new threads for different topics instead of having all these different conversations lumped under one "universal" thread in the main forum. Its a good thing.

I do have one concern though. You guys know how I like to play "what-if" games.... So here goes:

The fact that this sub-forum now exists would indicate that HDS has become some sort of paying sponsor of the site. I don't know the exact words, but I know these sub-forums aren't free. I'm not arguing that, CPF's got bills to pay too so I get it. But what happens if HDS decides to no longer be a sponsor in the future? I assume the sub-forum goes away? And if it does, where do the threads go?

Bottom line -- should I be concerned that this move somehow makes these HDS threads more likely to disappear in the future? There's TONS of good info here and, as a yuuuugge HDS fanboy, I'd personally be sick to my stomach if it all vanished one day. I mean I don't know what I'd do or change based on the answer to this question, but I'd still like to know where it all stands, ya know....

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Does Hogo getting to moderate this thread give him free passes from the moments of heat with the mods and members
    Nope

... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post

I do have one concern though. You guys know how I like to play "what-if" games.... So here goes:

The fact that this sub-forum now exists would indicate that HDS has become some sort of paying sponsor of the site. I don't know the exact words, but I know these sub-forums aren't free. I'm not arguing that, CPF's got bills to pay too so I get it. But what happens if HDS decides to no longer be a sponsor in the future? I assume the sub-forum goes away? And if it does, where do the threads go?

I would expect that it may be archived for reference, like Mac's
    Last edited by archimedes; Today at 05:33 PM.

As some have noted, when a change of this sort is done, navigating around the forum may be a little different.

There are some forum settings you may need or want to adjust, to "subscribe" to your particular threads of interest.

If you are unfamiliar with how to do this @INFRNL , feel free to PM me.

According to http://www.coyotesteel.com/assets/im...rcubicfoot.pdf aluminum bronze is 2.9 times heavier than straight aluminum, and brass is 3.2 times heavier.

These are going to weigh about 300 grams(~11 oz.), a full can of soda weighs roughly 370 grams(~13 oz.).

Is anyone planning to carry these daily? How do you plan to carry it?

Most likely we will work to move all past HDS threads to this subforum. If you know of older, helpful HDS related threads that should be here, let a Mod know and we can move them.

This should help keep all HDS info (of which there is much) in one place and easy to reference.

Hogo is the Mod here, but obviously if something needs addressing that isnt being dealt with, this thread is frequented by forum Mods anyway so it will be handled.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Most likely we will work to move all past HDS threads to this subforum. If you know of older, helpful HDS related threads that should be here, let a Mod know and we can move them.

This should help keep all HDS info (of which there is much) in one place and easy to reference.

Hogo is the Mod here, but obviously if something needs addressing that isnt being dealt with, this thread is frequented by forum Mods anyway so it will be handled.
    I just started a thread called HDS EDC pics #1 that could go under there. I love all the pictures of HDS lights and wanted a thread that solely focuses on them

Sounds good, well get it.

Okay, after a many month absence I thought I would check in. I used these HDS threads as a point of research in my quest for an ultimate EDC light. After reading hundreds of posts I decided that an HDS Rotary (custom 325L, silver bezel, flush button and tactical UI) was the right light for me. I got my light last week, and I am of mixed feelings. The build quality is fantastic, the rotary action is nice and smooth, the flush button is perfectly flush - so tailstanding is a go, and the hue of the light is much, much warmer than I expected (way warmer than any of my Fenix or Surefire lights, though not as warm as my daylight Zebralight). The only detractor is the light’s output, I’ll explain. Modes 9-12 are really nice and bright, I really like the full power momentary and strobe too, they are exactly what I want. Modes 1-9 seem almost pointless unless you just woke up in the middle of the night. I was hoping for a moonlight - which it has, and starlight. After moonlight I was hoping for a more logical ramp in lumens. When any range over say 10’ is involved, it feels like it goes from 0-10% lumens, then hits 70%,85% and 100% with the last 3 settings. Also, it has very little throw on any but the last 3 modes. My EDC light for the last 7 years has been a Fenix LD20, my HDS was to replace it, but it feels less useful. I am really hoping I get used to it. If not, I will probably swap this for a Boss 35, the light that came in 2nd place in my research.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience with their first HDS?

Edit: Sorry if it was unclear, yes mine is a Rotary with the Tactical UI.
    Last edited by MosesEDC; Today at 06:46 PM.

To be clear, this is a tactical rotary? I don't own this UI, but I believe the rotary function, being confined to the first half of the dial, only goes through half of the total settings. Each step goes up by two levels, instead of one. Someone else can correct me if I'm off base here.

The standard rotary goes through all 24 levels, which are calculated to appear evenly spaced. I've never experienced big steps you're describing.

Edit: One more thing. The 325 uses an XPL, which has a larger emission surface. If throw is of primary importance, I'd suggest getting the 250. It has a smaller XPG2 and is reported to out-throw the 325.
    Last edited by Modernflame; Today at 06:38 PM.
    May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

sounds like maybe you should have gone for the 250 model. but if you are talking about a boss, that is a different animal and it seems like you want a high powered light. I am not familiar with Fenix except for the blue tint and I gifted mine to my dad.

I will let the pros give you a better response. I feel that HDS gives me 100% of the light I need 99% of the time. the only time I really need more is if I'm bored and messing around. for general use it suits me very well.

I'm moved. Not just about the thread. I very much appreciate all who were involved in this move. I didn't expect it, but thank you!
    Now I have to behave. Guess who's going to be buying more rum? If I get upset, I'll have several shots so my fat fingers and old eyes will just give a reply like: adjoin joiadoih n;eaei jade[ea!!!! and then after sobering up and having proper time to think, I will post something more appropriate.

I do think this was a good idea... but then, in my life there were several things that seemed like a good idea at the time... here, hold my rum. Watch this! I think that's how I got married. This should go better than that. That was worse than the Columbia on reentry.

I will talk with Henry and see if he wants to add some bronze to the PO, but I don't have much hope in that. Just getting the bronze added was not easy. I will however see what I can do. I'll see him tomorrow so...

Yes Toads, they are going to be heavy. I've been playing... errr, I mean examining Henry's titanium Clicky, and that does not feel much heavier, but bronze and brass... that should be some weight one will notice...
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MosesEDC View Post
    Okay, after a many month absence I thought I would check in. I used these HDS threads as a point of research in my quest for an ultimate EDC light. After reading hundreds of posts I decided that an HDS Rotary (custom 325L, silver bezel, flush button and tactical UI) was the right light for me. I got my light last week, and I am of mixed feelings. The build quality is fantastic, the rotary action is nice and smooth, the flush button is perfectly flush - so tailstanding is a go, and the hue of the light is much, much warmer than I expected (way warmer than any of my Fenix or Surefire lights, though not as warm as my daylight Zebralight). The only detractor is the light’s output, I’ll explain. Modes 9-12 are really nice and bright, I really like the full power momentary and strobe too, they are exactly what I want. Modes 1-9 seem almost pointless unless you just woke up in the middle of the night. I was hoping for a moonlight - which it has, and starlight. After moonlight I was hoping for a more logical ramp in lumens. When any range over say 10’ is involved, it feels like it goes from 0-10% lumens, then hits 70%,85% and 100% with the last 3 settings. Also, it has very little throw on any but the last 3 modes. My EDC light for the last 7 years has been a Fenix LD20, my HDS was to replace it, but it feels less useful. I am really hoping I get used to it. If not, I will probably swap this for a Boss 35, the light that came in 2nd place in my research.

Those first few levels should be enough to provide adequate light while keeping the battery discharging at a minimum pace. Level 1 is enough light to read a document or a map without bothering anyone else around you with a bright light.

Whether you have the tactical Rotary, or the standard Rotary, the levels are set up very particular way.

Heres a snipit from HDSs faq page:
    Your eyes respond to light in a logarithmic way. That means they require a significant percentage change in light output for your eyes to notice a small but visible change in brightness. A 50% (1.5x) increase or 33% (0.67x) decrease will produce a small but visible change in brightness. An increase or decrease of half that - 25% (1.25x) increase and 20% (0.80x) decrease - will probably not be noticed.So what is the practical difference between two flashlights with different outputs? If the difference is small - around 25% - you will probable never see the difference. If the difference is larger - around 50% - you will see the difference but it will be a small difference - and if you are not paying attention, you may miss it. If the difference is much larger - around 100% - it will be easy for you to see the difference, but you may be surprised that it does not appear to be larger.Here are some examples. The average person will not notice the difference between 140 and 170 lumens, 170 and 200 lumens, 200 and 250 lumens or 250 and 325 lumens. However, you will notice the difference between 140 and 200 lumens, 170 and 250 lumens or 200 and 325 lumens.Keeping the same 1.5x ratio, and starting at 325 lumens, you would have to increase the output to 488 lumens to produce a small but noticeable increase in brightness.

Its a lot of info to take in, I had to read this a few times for it to fully make sense. And remember, these lights were designed to go caving with, so super low outputs with long run times are what these do best. They are quite different from how the Fenix lights are designed.

I personally think theyre awesome, but yes, during the day I mostly use the top quarter of the dial myself. Im sure some of the others could explain it more simply than Im able to.
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

The steps are doubled on the Tactical model, so you are going up 2 brightness levels compared to 1 on the Rotary.
    Yes, the first 5 or so are sub-lumen level.
    I can't address being new to them... as I've been using them for years so others input would be better than mine.
    To be honest, I don't know if the 250 is going to make any large difference in throw, but I pretty much just use 200 lumen HiCRI lights myself. I do think cooler tints tend to throw better, at least to my old eyes, but HDS has never been a real "throwy" light compared to the other options out there. It is something I have Henry working on... along with another 57 things.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

I'm not sure I quite understand the problem.

Do you think the modes are too far apart, as in one mode isn't bright enough but the next is too bright?
    Or do you want more brightness at the top end, like a 500lm mode?
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Yes, I had the exact same experience with my first HDS as it was a tactical rotary with version 2.10 software. It was great for the first three years as it primarily supported my firearms training. When the new software came out earlier this year I went to a standard rotary because it offered four programming settings and a momentary feature. That software gave me the ability to program a logical lumen ramp and still have the momentary feature to support flash and dash. I had a Felix 20 and it went in a drawer three years ago. The HDS is not a thrower but is excellent at 50 feet. The other flash light you mentioned will pump out the lumen but at the cost of runtime which will be short with rechargeable batteries in the 123 size.

Modes 1-9 you just woke up in the middle of the night.
    yes, those are all sublumen levels, and yes, thats when they are useful
    this image is from the manual, which is here:
    https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/...UsersGuide.pdf

In full darkness, like in a cave, it takes very little light to see
    I also use very little light when I wake up, repeatedly, to pee at night :-)

suggestion
    experiment with some of the different programming options
    for example
    program your light so that your first click gives you a lumen level you want most often, that might be 10 lumens, or more, or less, your choice...

and or, leave your rotary dial turned up to a level you find useful, and just click off, kind of like mode memory

here is someone else who was new to a Tactical Rotary 325 like yours, and suggestions made to help them learn more about the features of their light.

I hope this link is helpful
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ghtness-Levels

and a video on how to program your button

congrats on your new Tactical HDS
    Welcome to the fan club :-)

There are things that other lights can do, and things that HDS lights can do. It does not have to be either, or. Both is Better. There is no one best LED either, youre going to need more lights :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; Today at 08:15 PM.

^+1
    Well put. And those links are helpful for me as well, thanks!
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46868990919293949596