NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Yes, updating the software is a pain. It not only has to be reprogrammed, it then has to be re-calibrated.

So, if you have an executive and want the head reprogrammed with the latest software and also reprogrammed as a Rotary, you must send the light in with the Rotary tail on the light. Lights sent in to be updated or reprogrammed must be sent in whole i.e. with the battery tube and head... complete. If an executive head is sent in on a Rotary tail, you will get it programmed as a Rotary. Send in a Rotary head attached to an Executive tail, and you will get executive programming.

DO NOT send in two heads, one with a Rotary tail and one without, or any combination that is not an entire working light. DO put a note with it if you want Rotary, Tactical, Executive, or LE programming.
    Ok great thanks for checking. I will send each with a Rotary tail. Do I just put a note in the box saying what I want done? Or do I send Henry an Email? And do I purchase the software upgrade from the website. I just want to follow protocol so everything goes smoothly for you guys...

No worries here cause I don't want no clip.

*I realize "don't want no" is an oxymoron but being from Kentucky I gotta say it that way.

Yes, updating the software is a pain. It not only has to be reprogrammed, it then has to be re-calibrated.
    That explains it then. As much as I would love to get the latest and greatest firmware, I just can't convince my head that it's worth the $45+shipping asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Ok great thanks for checking. I will send each with a Rotary tail. Do I just put a note in the box saying what I want done? Or do I send Henry an Email? And do I purchase the software upgrade from the website. I just want to follow protocol so everything goes smoothly for you guys...
    Purchase it online and then put a note with the light when you ship it.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Flashaholic*

Hey Hogo, can you ask Henry what grade of aluminum his lights are made from please?

Shotgun and 37mm proof grade, apparently...
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Shotgun and 37mm proof grade, apparently...
    Lol, yep she is one tough light. I am just interested if it is made from 6061, 7075, etc. and what temper too(T6, T651, T7, etc.). It is the tradesman in me.

You may not get an answer. Used to be that Henry never revealed what components or materials were used to manufacture his lights to the point that folks even had to guess what LED was used, although that unwritten policy may have changed -- obviously the website now lists what LED is used.

And another question for Hogo: I noticed on the custom order page a selection for a handle bar mount, but this is not listed on the accessories page. Can this item be ordered separately?
    Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 02-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.

good question.
    I think 7075..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Lol, yep she is one tough light. I am just interested if it is made from 6061, 7075, etc. and what temper too(T6, T651, T7, etc.). It is the tradesman in me.
    Zebralight SC600 MkIV, SC52w.

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    You may not get an answer. Used to be that Henry never revealed what components or materials were used to manufacture his lights to the point that folks even had to guess what LED was used, although that unwritten policy may have changed -- obviously the website now lists what LED is used.

And another question for Hogo: I noticed on the custom order page a selection for a handle bar mount, but this is not listed on the accessories page. Can this item be ordered separately?
    Aerospace obtainium (because it was obtained). Don't want to get into the 6061 vs 7075 debate.

Handle bar mount should be on the accessories page as well. Should be fixed soon. Henry now knows.

Link to video of destruction test... hint... wasn't destroyed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3YuAWQndPw&t=109s
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Flashaholic*

Aerospace obtainium (because it was obtained). Don't want to get into the 6061 vs 7075 debate.

Handle bar mount should be on the accessories page as well. Should be fixed soon. Henry now knows.

Link to video of destruction test... hint... wasn't destroyed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3YuAWQndPw&t=109s
    Was there a debate in a previous thread or something? I would just like to know what it's built out of. Most high end light makers freely share this information as it is a selling feature. I don't understand what the big deal is.

I like the video by the way, nice work👍.
    Last edited by Tachead; 02-13-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Was there a debate in a previous thread or something? I would just like to know what it's built out of. Most high end light makers freely share this information as it is a selling feature. I don't understand what the big deal is....
    There has been some discussion of different alloys among a number of threads here (not HDS, but other brands)

Sounds like HDS consider this proprietary information ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    There has been some discussion of different alloys among a number of threads here (not HDS, but other brands)

Secrets donít make friends...

Flashaholic*

Oh ok, I dont remember reading any of those. I took Aerospace Engineering and Metallurgy courses in college though so, I know while both the listed alloys are high quality and will work fine for a flashlight body, costs aside, one is clearly a superior choice for this application. But, that doesnt mean it is necessary either.

I dont see why they would consider this proprietary information unless they are using a low quality alloy and dont want to be called on it. Not to mention a number of tests will quickly show what alloy is being used if one has access to the right equipment. Transparency breeds trust.
    Last edited by Tachead; 02-13-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Flashaholic*

Exactly.

Secrets also imply something is being hidden.

Exactly.

Secrets also imply something is being hidden.

Not necessarily. Let's not jump to conclusions here. Besides once he starts making them in titanium we won't need to ask 😀
    Last edited by thermal guy; 02-13-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Another one here who doesnít use a clip. I have a clip that came with my 140 clicky and I purchased the universal clip for one of my rotaries but i donít use either.

I'm still looking to get my first hds. I can't decide which one just yet....

I don't really care what it's made out of, you can shoot it, drop it, run over it, and it still works. Contact any manufacturer and try to get information about specifications of materials used to make a product, and see how far you get.

Quote Originally Posted by d13avo View Post
    Another one here who doesnít use a clip. I have a clip that came with my 140 clicky and I purchased the universal clip for one of my rotaries but i donít use either.
    My HDS feels naked without a clip. Plus it always lies horizontal in my pocket... and I wear skinny (ish) fitted jeans. Does anyone else have this problem? I canít be alone here...

While it is true that transparency breeds trust, I believe that Henry has already bred that trust many times over in many different ways.

HDS Systems is free to disclose that which they wish to disclose, and to not discuss that which they don't wish to discuss. To start making claims of cover-ups and secrets is rather "silly".

If all such talk in in jest, please disregard this message
    Last edited by Grijon; 02-13-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Formatting

.... Secrets also imply something is being hidden.
    Seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    I don't really care what it's made out of, you can shoot it, drop it, run over it, and it still works. Contact any manufacturer and try to get information about specifications of materials used to make a product, and see how far you get.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post
    While it is true that transparency breeds trust, I believe that Henry has already bred that trust many times over in many different ways.

HDS Systems is free to disclose that which they wish to disclose, and to not discuss that which they don't wish to discuss. To start making claims of cover-ups and secrets is rather "silly".

If all such talk in in jest, please disregard this message
    Agreed.

Hogo posts updates and info here on CPF nearly daily, yes ?

Henry occasionally drops in with an incredibly detailed and informative post, too.

Other than curiosity, what is your specific need to know this particular information, if HDS don't care to share this in an open public forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Not necessarily. Let's not jump to conclusions here. Besides once he starts making them in titanium we won't need to ask 😀
    Please no CP Grade 2 vs Ti6Al4V Grade 5 debate again ...

One feature I'd like to see someday is a battery level indicator in the firmware.
    Something like the Boss 70 has, PIN 111; 3 slow clicks from off-hold blinks; 3.7v = ...-........
    Would be a wonderful feature IMHO.
    Don't know how many times I've popped a batt. in the charger. only to find it near full..

The setup below is working out the best for me for rotary in-pocket carry..
    The bulbous bow is a Novatac rubber head cap slipped over a tail cap.
    You always know which is the business end and gives major additional crash protection.
    Very comfortable to hold.

HDS purists won't like it.
    But anyone who says they haven't poked the lens at one time or other to turn on a bare bones HDS is lying..
    Has a Streamlight 1/L-2/L clip and simple constrictor knot lanyard.

Ohhh the adventures this puppy has been on.. If lights could talk.

-Ron

"Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

But in all seriousness look at all the delays. Look at us hearing this new light will be out next month and 6 months down the road it finally happens. Think Henry does this on purpose? HELL no it's because there not ready there not good enough and he will wait and design until it is. THAT should tell you all you need to know about the quality and robust of his lights. Trust the man this is what he does. Don't worry about what it's made from.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Please no CP Grade 2 vs Ti6Al4V Grade 5 debate again ...

Rumor has it he is going to offer both grades in order to keep people arguing . 😂

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    One feature I'd like to see someday is a battery level indicator in the firmware.
    Something like the Boss 70 has, PIN 111; 3 slow clicks from off-hold blinks; 3.7v = ...-........
    Would be a wonderful feature IMHO.
    Don't know how many times I've popped a batt. in the charger. only to find it near full..

The setup below is working out the best for me for rotary in-pocket carry..
    The bulbous bow is a Novatac rubber head cap slipped over a tail cap.
    You always know which is the business end and gives major additional crash protection.
    Very comfortable to hold.

HDS purists won't like it.
    But anyone who says they haven't poked the lens at one time or other to turn on a bare bones HDS is lying..
    Has a Streamlight 1/L-2/L clip and simple constrictor knot lanyard.

Ohhh the adventures this puppy has been on.. If lights could talk.

-Ron

Where do you find the end protection you have on that?

My HDS feels naked without a clip. Plus it always lies horizontal in my pocket... and I wear skinny (ish) fitted jeans. Does anyone else have this problem? I canít be alone here...
    This is why I struggle to understand anyone not using a clip unless they use a holster. In a front pocket it turns sideways and is uncomfortable and looks funny. In a cargo pocket it swings and klonks into my leg with each stride. I like the size of the HDS but it is far too large and heavy to be free balliní around in a pocket. I agree with you completely and I donít even wear skinny jeans LOL.

Flashaholic*

Seriously ?

Yep.

Agreed.

Hogo posts updates and info here on CPF nearly daily, yes ?

Henry occasionally drops in with an incredibly detailed and informative post, too.

Other than curiosity, what is your specific need to know this particular information, if HDS don't care to share this in an open public forum ?
    I am a tradesman and the design, engineering, and material choices interest me(for many products, not just flashlights).

Plus, when spending the most money I have ever spent on a flashlight in my life, I like to know as much about the product as I can so, I can decide if the material choices, design, engineering, and features offered are worth that price to me. I also like to evaluate how these things compare to other brands and models.

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off of them a little.

HDS isn't trying to make friends, he's trying to run a business, and hiding certain information from competitors is sometimes necessary.

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast