SunwayLED        
Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst 12345678910111454 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    I am a tradesman and the design, engineering, and material choices interest me(for many products, not just flashlights).

Plus, when spending the most money I have ever spent on a flashlight in my life, I like to know as much about the product as I can so, I can decide if the material choices, design, engineering, and features offered are worth that price to me. I also like to evaluate how these things compare to other brands and models.

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off of them a little.
    Yes, nothing wrong with curiosity, and wanting information.

But in a world filled with clones, copies, knock-offs, and the like ... it is also not particularly difficult to understand why manufacturers might be reluctant to publish certain details of their products.

I think most try to strike a balance in their marketing, but of course that may be less (or more) than any individual may wish to know.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I am a tradesman and the design, engineering, and material choices interest me(for many products, not just flashlights).

Plus, when spending the most money I have ever spent on a flashlight in my life, I like to know as much about the product as I can so, I can decide if the material choices, design, engineering, and features offered are worth that price to me. I also like to evaluate how these things compare to other brands and models.

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off a little.

I understand completely where your coming from I work in a field that I like to know more information then I need. I just like to know things I guess. But let me ask you one question IF Henry chimed in and said he was using a type of aluminum that you felt was the Worst meteral he could possibly use would it detour you from getting his light? With hundreds and hundreds of post from hundreds of users that can testify to the strength of his lights?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    This is why I struggle to understand anyone not using a clip unless they use a holster. In a front pocket it turns sideways and is uncomfortable and looks funny. In a cargo pocket it swings and klonks into my leg with each stride. I like the size of the HDS but it is far too large and heavy to be free balliní around in a pocket. I agree with you completely and I donít even wear skinny jeans LOL.
    I totally agree. Unless I am going to use a holster(I stopped doing this years ago as they constantly dig into you when you sit down and you always have to adjust and fiddle with them) then I need a clip to secure my knives and lights.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    HDS isn't trying to make friends, he's trying to run a business, and hiding certain information from competitors is sometimes necessary.
    He is trying to win customers over though if he is a smart business owner. I can totally understand that in some cases but, there is nothing that needs to be hidden in this case. It is not like it is some proprietary alloy that Henry designed that is waiting on a patent. It is likely just an average commonly used alloy(likely 6061 T6 if I had to guess).

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off of them a little.
    Sharing is caring...

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    HDS isn't trying to make friends, he's trying to run a business, and hiding certain information from competitors is sometimes necessary.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, nothing wrong with curiosity, and wanting information.

But in a world filled with clones, copies, knock-offs, and the like ... it is also not particularly difficult to understand why manufacturers might be reluctant to publish certain details of their products.

I think most try to strike a balance in their marketing, but of course that may be less (or more) than any individual may wish to know.
    See post #94. We are not talking about blueprints or some proprietary design here, just a run of the mill alloy choice.

And rather than pick up the phone and ask the gentleman who builds them directly, you come here and imply something's being hidden? And you're put off by this? I'm sorry but really now...
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    This is why I struggle to understand anyone not using a clip unless they use a holster. In a front pocket it turns sideways and is uncomfortable and looks funny. In a cargo pocket it swings and klonks into my leg with each stride. I like the size of the HDS but it is far too large and heavy to be free balliní around in a pocket.
    This is all part of why I swore I would never buy one of these clunky looking lights. I even told that to Henry again last week. Everyone wears their pants a bit different, but with my Carhartts the light always stays vertical at the back edge of my front pocket where I can just pull it up and out.

Not sure if Henry is doing the same thing or if he lets it lay in the bottom of his pocket, but there's no clip on his light either and I have no plans of ever going back to using a clip. On the other hand, multiple solutions for a mutiplicity of users.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    And rather than pick up the phone and ask the gentleman who builds them directly, you come here and imply something's being hidden? And you're put off by this? I'm sorry but really now...
    The HDS thread is certainly moving along these days.
    There's plenty of things I'd like to comment on but I'll choose one and comment on the material choice thing.
    First of all, I believe that whatever material (type of aluminium) Henry chose that he did so out of consideration and for good reason. And that main consideration being function and durability, not cost.
    Everyone knows here what the HDS philosophy and goal is and it's not to dick around.
    If I was told he uses 6061 and not 7075 for example I wouldn't feel let down. Both have pros and cons but I'd possibly even prefer 6061 and he may even use that, I base this on a post by I can't remember who but the light had lived in a caustic solution for some time and survived all but looking a bit melted. 7075 may well have dissolved.
    Anyway, whatever is used, I'm sure it was chosen wisely and clearly works well.
    Last edited by F89; 02-13-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Where do you find the end protection you have on that?
    I got them here, they are temporarily out of stock but check back periodically..
    https://www.flashlightlens.com/index...ds_novatac_cap

Ron
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I understand completely where your coming from I work in a field that I like to know more information then I need. I just like to know things I guess. But let me ask you one question IF Henry chimed in and said he was using a type of aluminum that you felt was the Worst meteral he could possibly use would it detour you from getting his light? With hundreds and hundreds of post from hundreds of users that can testify to the strength of his lights?
    If Henry chimed in and said he was using the worst material(alloy) he could possibly use then yes, I would not be buying an HDS light. For starters, their high price point merits that they be made from high end materials imo. Second, doing so would indicate Henry was either a hack engineer or a shyster just trying to make the most money he can off of ill informed customers. Now, I know this is not the case. From everything I have heard, Henry is a very nice guy and is very dedicated to making the best products he can.

My guess is he is using 6061 or 7075 with either a T6 or T651 temper as these would both be good choices for this application.

Anyway, ultimately it is Henrys choice if he lets us know what alloy he is using or not and unless someone has access to some material testing equipment we are just going to have accept his decision and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    The HDS thread is certainly moving along these days.
    There's plenty of things I'd like to comment on but I'll choose one and comment on the material choice thing.
    First of all, I believe that whatever material (type of aluminium) Henry chose that he did so out of consideration and for good reason. And that main consideration being function and durability, not cost.
    Everyone knows here what the HDS philosophy and goal is and it's not to dick around.
    If I was told he uses 6061 and not 7075 for example I wouldn't feel let down. Both have pros and cons but I'd possibly even prefer 6061 and he may even use that, I base this on a post by I can't remember who but the light had lived in a caustic solution for some time and survived all but looking a bit melted. 7075 may well have dissolved.
    Anyway, whatever is used, I'm sure it was chosen wisely and clearly works well.
    I guess Part 20 needs to be known for something... Lol. Agreed. It's his light and design, and he's never been known to "cut corners". If it's deemed robust enough by Henry, and carries his warranty, he could make it from compressed squirrel crap for all I care. Hard coat it and drive on.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Flashaholic*

Dan(Hogo) now works directly with Henry so, I just though I would ask here. I didnt think it would be a big deal. The fact that HDS wont reveal a simple thing like this is a bit off putting to me but YMMV of course.

If Henry chimed in and said he was using the worst material(alloy) he could possibly use then yes, I would not be buying an HDS light. For starters, their high price point merits that they be made from high end materials imo. Second, doing so would indicate Henry was either a hack engineer or a shyster just trying to make the most money he can off of ill informed customers. Now, I know this is not the case. From everything I have heard, Henry is a very nice guy and is very dedicated to making the best products he can.

My guess is he is using 6061 or 7075 with either a T6 or T651 temper as these would both be good choices for this application.

Anyway, ultimately it is Henrys choice if he lets us know what alloy he is using or not and unless someone has access to some material testing equipment we are just going to have accept his decision and move on.
    I'm all for tab data but I've got to say that I agree with the move along part.

I guess Part 20 needs to be known for something... Lol. Agreed. It's his light and design, and he's never been known to "cut corners". If it's deemed robust enough by Henry, and carries his warranty, he could make it from compressed squirrel crap for all I care. Hard coat it and drive on.
    Now this is my kind of post, even got a chuckle from it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    I don't really care what it's made out of, you can shoot it, drop it, run over it, and it still works. Contact any manufacturer and try to get information about specifications of materials used to make a product, and see how far you get.
    I would just like to point out that Oveready, Elzetta, and Malkoff all give the exact specifications of the alloys they use.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    Now this is my kind of post, even got a chuckle from it.
    Yep, that was a good one and made me laugh too.

OMG guys, let it rest. Your request is in writing - if Henry or Dan want to comment they will.

Of course, I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it. 😂😂😂😂. SORRY
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

^^Haha....Perfect!

RIP Chris Farley.

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    I got them here, they are temporarily out of stock but check back periodically..
    https://www.flashlightlens.com/index...ds_novatac_cap

Ron
    Thank you indigon! If I chip one more ceramic tile on our new floor by dropping my hds my wife will kill me. 😊

.... It is not like it is some proprietary alloy that Henry designed that is waiting on a patent. It is likely just an average commonly used alloy(likely 6061 T6 if I had to guess).
    Maybe so, but you know this how exactly ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Maybe so, but you know this how exactly ?
    Notice I said "likely".

Henry is an engineer not at metallurgist. Not to mention the R&D to create a new proprietary alloy jusy for a tiny flashlight company would be far more time consuming and costly then any metal company, or HDS for that matter, would want to invest in. There are also plenty of well suited options extensively used and proven by the Aerospace industry already readily available so, it would not offer any benefit.

I thought we were going to move on? Lol.

Default HDS Systems EDC # 20

I think someone in the FF group has asserted it is 6061T6. That being said, it doesnít make a difference to me. My BOSS and Okluma use 7075 aluminum, but my HDS lights remain hands down the toughest and most utilitarian lights I own. The anno on the BOSS might be better though..itís something else. But nothing else, except maybe my Elzettas (which also use 6061T6) comes within the level of toughness that HDS exudes. And even then I give the edge to HDS...Henryís lights just feel so much more substantial in-hand.
    My website: https://precogvision.wordpress.com (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Very close. Gopher crap. Handles being underground better!
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Shh! They've all gone to bed.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Shh! They've all gone to bed.
    P
    Not quite Peter.

Haha!
    P