Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Haha!
    P

Logged on just for you mate.

Default HDS Systems EDC # 20

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Very close. Gopher crap. Handles being underground better!
    Last edited by moltenmag; 02-14-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Ok gents, it's a new day. Let's move on to something else please. Let's discuss o-ring size, Hogo's durability testing, old Action Lights, something... Let's leave metallurgy and mammal dung behind us... Myself included.
    Last edited by scout24; 02-14-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    If you're new to CPF, please read this... (Just click the link...)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ost-out-of-CPF

Does anyone use their HDS in a headband as a headlamp?

The Malkoff head-strap is what comes to mind first, and I am wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with this.

I wod think they're a bit heavy for an elastic strap, but it may work for some.
    If you're new to CPF, please read this... (Just click the link...)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ost-out-of-CPF

I’m telling you a new twisty maybe made of SS and a better interface to change brightness levels would really be a light to get your butt home. THATS what I would love.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I work on passenger vehicles often and use two zip ties to hold my flashlight onto a baseball cap brim. Of course, it means drilling four holes in the brim. I found the HDS too heavy and started using a Fenix PD22 which worked quite well. Just picked up an Olight S1 mini baton for $44 that clips right on to the front of any baseball cap and is incredibly light weight and small. The S1 mini works even better in very tight places as it is flush with the front of the brim.

Never wanted to deal with the head straps for two reasons - the elastic wears out in two years and you have to carry it around with you when traveling. I always have a baseball cap nearby or can get one at a local store.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 02-14-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Okay, about old Action Lights.

I saw a description of those back around 2000 or 2001. They blew my mind. Revolutionary. The output, the battery, the form factor. Esp. the runtime. The idea that it could last as long as a month on low. It just astounded me.

Luckily, I was dirt poor at the time and had a couple of toddlers. So I had zero money, and did not buy one. Which is just as well, because I did not honestly need one. (You'll get me down in a cave some time *after* you have persuaded me to swim in a tank full of great white sharks).

Nowadays, I can buy a few things that I don't need, every now and then. But I cannot buy an Action Light. Luckily, I have something like that capacity in any of my ZL headlights, and some of them work on an AA eneloop instead of a D-cell battery with exotic chemistry. The Action Light is now pretty much obsolete.

But I have to say, I have always had a soft-spot for those Action Lights. So cool! Incredible technology for the time, and a real vision of what the future could bring. Hats off to Henry!

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Ditto. Too much weight. Hopefully Henry’s headlamp will take that into consideration... even though it will most likely be based off 18650s.

Seems like an angled HDS Rotary would kill 2 birds with one stone though... could attach to helmet or LBE or a backpack for cycling.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    But anyone who says they haven't poked the lens at one time or other to turn on a bare bones HDS is lying..
    I've never pressed the wrong end, but I holster carry.

--flatline

So I just scored an HDS EDC Ultimate 60xr mint here on CPF. I’m super stoked. Can’t wait for it to arrive. Love the old natural HAIII. Does anyone else still edc one? If so what has it been like to use a piece of HDS history?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I’m telling you a new twisty maybe made of SS and a better interface to change brightness levels would really be a light to get your butt home. THATS what I would love.
    In a 1 or 2AA format would be extra exceptional
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    So I just scored an HDS EDC Ultimate 60xr mint here on CPF. I’m super stoked. Can’t wait for it to arrive. Love the old natural HAIII. Does anyone else still edc one? If so what has it been like to use a piece of HDS history?

I carry one of my 42's from time to time. Love the size they are so much smaller then this generation. And I keep a u60 with a 2x123 extension with a funny looking piece of brass in it so I can use a 18650. "Took me a bit to get the bend and length just right on the brass" I use it to check on my little one and night trips to the head. My little one is now over two and 95 percent sure I'm on the same battery! His older stuff ran forever. I love the green anodizing color soooo much. And yes the fact that they are kinda old school is great.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    In a 1 or 2AA format would be extra exceptional
    1AA gets my vote!

[QUOTE=FroggyTaco;5184888]In a 1 or 2AA format would be extra exceptional[/QUOTE

👍

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post

I work on passenger vehicles often and use two zip ties to hold my flashlight onto a baseball cap brim. Of course, it means drilling four holes in the brim. I found the HDS too heavy and started using a Fenix PD22 which worked quite well. Just picked up an Olight S1 mini baton for $44 that clips right on to the front of any baseball cap and is incredibly light weight and small. The S1 mini works even better in very tight places as it is flush with the front of the brim.

Never wanted to deal with the head straps for two reasons - the elastic wears out in two years and you have to carry it around with you when traveling. I always have a baseball cap nearby or can get one at a local store.
    I use mine in a nite ize headband.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    In a 1...AA format would be extra exceptional
    It's coming. May be a while, but it's coming.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    It's coming. May be a while, but it's coming.
    We are here. We are waiting...

Unenlightened

I apologize if this is a dumb or repetitive question, but I am a new HDS owner and there is A LOT of info in these forum discussions. Haha.

Question 1; Can I reprogram a Tactical rotary to act like a traditional rotary without sending the light in?
    Question 2; Does anyone know when the white reflector stopped being produced?
    Question 3; Is it possible to replace the raised clicky with a flush clicky without sending the light in?

Thank you and I apologize in advance.

1. No

2. Last summer/fall?

3. Super easy on a Clicky. Super hard on a Rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I work on passenger vehicles often and use two zip ties to hold my flashlight onto a baseball cap brim....
    Ditto...
    Quote Originally Posted by peatytheamp View Post
    I use mine in a nite ize headband.
    Thanks for the responses

RCS1300, what kind of work on what kind of passenger vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Grijon View Post

The Malkoff head-strap is what comes to mind first, and I am wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with this.
    I have this set up and while the light does have some weight to it, it was not too heavy for this.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Bought mine in 2007 or 2008... Still one of my most used light. I changed the LED to an high CRI SSC in 2010 and I'm still amazed by the nice beam and tint of this combo. I admit, not very bright compared to modern lights but built like a tank, exceptional runtime on low and with a nice PEU trit bezel, this light is still awesome after all these years.
    sig line removed to help search function...

Thanks for the responses

RCS1300, what kind of work on what kind of passenger vehicles?
    I work on my two vehicles. Completed jobs including new heads, timing chains, cv axles, fuel pump, timing belts, alternators, starters, wheel bearings, struts, brakes, radiators, sensors, etc. Engines include 4.7L V8 and 3.0L V6.

Quote Originally Posted by derfyled View Post
    Bought mine in 2007 or 2008... Still one of my most used light. I changed the LED to an high CRI SSC in 2010 and I'm still amazed by the nice beam and tint of this combo. I admit, not very bright compared to modern lights but built like a tank, exceptional runtime on low and with a nice PEU trit bezel, this light is still awesome after all these years.
    Who did you get to mod it? Do you have any pictures? I might considering having that done if I can find someone...

Who did you get to mod it? Do you have any pictures? I might considering having that done if I can find someone...
    You could contact Vinh at Skylumen.com and ask. He swapped out LED’s in my HDS clicky and did a great job.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

I did this exact mod myself. Of all of the HDS designs, this one is the easiest to mod, especially with an SSC. The SSC is a straight drop-in for the Luxeon, and the anodized heat sink provides isolation for the SSC base, which can't contact the ground in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    I have this set up and while the light does have some weight to it, it was not too heavy for this.
    Thanks!

I work on my two vehicles. Completed jobs including new heads, timing chains, cv axles, fuel pump, timing belts, alternators, starters, wheel bearings, struts, brakes, radiators, sensors, etc. Engines include 4.7L V8 and 3.0L V6.
    Ah, very nice!

Flashaholic

i wear my hds periodically w/ the nite ize headband. i wear it over a ball cap. the light naturally points higher than your line of sight unless you tilt the band to point downwards, but that is more of a critique of the headband than the light itself.

overall the hds fits securely in the elastic holder and is not too heavy. the headband is not bulky -- compact enough that i just carry it around at the bottom of my edc bag and its there when i need it. it was worth the $7 that i paid.
    Last edited by midget; 02-18-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I did this exact mod myself. Of all of the HDS designs, this one is the easiest to mod, especially with an SSC. The SSC is a straight drop-in for the Luxeon, and the anodized heat sink provides isolation for the SSC base, which can't contact the ground in the light.
    Sounds awesome. Did changing the LED affect the runtime at all? What did the tint look like?

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast