CAR charger lead for OPUS BT-C3100 charger

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Does any one know if such a lead exists from Opus ?, I have plenty of leads but as cars are around 14-14.4 volts I fear this might damage the charger, has any one plugged one of these chargers into their car/truck etc ? I am tempted to just try it but don't want to fry it!!
Any help appreciated, thanks

fmc1

Enlightened
When I bought my Opus BT-C3400 it came with a car power adapter. I have used it many times and it works well. Henry Xu posted on BLF a few years ago that the input voltage range on the BT-3100 is 8V-16V. He worked for them at the time and was considered the go to source for info back then.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the BT-3100 but, nominally 12v stuff has a fairly wide range of operating voltage. Naturally when providing an AC to DC source such as a 120vac to 12vdc supply, its easy to set the operating voltage fairly close to 12v...........simply because you have to set it to something when designing it. It simply does not make sense to make a charger classified as "12v" for only a narrow operating range when those designers know full well the sales benefit and usefulness to also be able to use this in a vehicle.

So what fmc1 has said makes perfect sense. My guess is that the DC power connector is likely to be 5.5mm x 2.1 or 2.5mm. Those are very common. I personally wouldn't hesitate to run it in a car.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link to a post from Henry Xu confirming the above 8V-16V input voltage range. I have used mine at various voltages in that range without issue.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

many many thanks to every one that has answered, this is very much appreciated and great to know, I'll leave 4 x 18650 on charge in car tonight, that along with my thinkware F770 dashcam(runs all time hardwired) will also let me know if my battery on car is any good ha ha.
Thanks from across the pond

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember that if the charger is already in use and the car is started, the charger will reboot due to sudden voltage drop.