9.5W Philips Hue LED for 8W LED fixture

fugufish

Newly Enlightened
Dear all

I hope this is the right place for this question. If not, feel free to let me know.

I have a ceiling lamp ("SLAMP Clizia" Large, for those interested). Their Website declares 10W LEDs to be used. The leaflet in the package as well as the sticker on the lamp itself says "8W LED Filament". There are 3 bulbs, so 24 Watt.
I really would like to put in Philips Hue LEDs which are 9.5W (x3 =28.5W). Is this a risk? In terms of wattage it doesn't sound much (1.5W per bulb or 4.5W in total more), but I don't know about the heat.

I am not concerned about power consumption, I am concerned about heat or fire risks.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Andy

Genes

Newly Enlightened
Should probably work just fine. The small difference in wattage shouldn't make much of an impact as far as heating the fixture.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an unusually low power rating. It might just mean that's the rating of the bulbs it usually comes with.

I can't imagine it being a heat or fire risk, but I say that not knowing exactly what they specify or why, I can't say that authoritatively. Do you have a link to the website listing?

Have you looked around the sockets carefully for a sticker or other label that uses the word "max" or similar language?

fugufish

Newly Enlightened
That's an unusually low power rating. It might just mean that's the rating of the bulbs it usually comes with.

I can't imagine it being a heat or fire risk, but I say that not knowing exactly what they specify or why, I can't say that authoritatively. Do you have a link to the website listing?

Have you looked around the sockets carefully for a sticker or other label that uses the word "max" or similar language?

Thx for the reply, guys. No marks on the sockets and the website seems wrong as it declares 2 x 10 W when it has 3 sockets.

https://www.slamp.com/en/products/ceiling-wall/clizia-ceiling-wall/

I thought the same about the rating. Lamps used to habe 60 pr 80W ratings before LED so I doubt they specifically engineered it to 8W led only...

fugufish

Newly Enlightened
It does seem the web page itself must be wrong, but it links to a technical document that says 3 x 10W:
https://www.slamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Clizia-Ceiling-Wall-Technical-Sheet.pdf?x68351

It also mentions a European Union bulb class standard. I'm in the US and not familiar with that rating system, but you can see in the datasheet it says A++, A+, and A rated bulbs should all be compatible.

Yes, I saw that document and was wondering why the lamp itself came with a different one. So dies the A, A+, etc. directly link to watt usage? I.e. higher watts automatically drop below the A rating?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you are right the more it uses the worse the rating. Regarding the lamp the rating compares the energy consumption towards a comparable reference lamp. In this case the A-rating means it uses less than 25 % energy of the reference application.

I think you are fine as it shouldn't be seen as the limit but I wouldn't put old high wattage lamps in it ;-).