RMSK, Inc.        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 111 of 111

Thread: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

  1. #91

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    I have always wanted to try an Armytek. They are one of the few manufacturers who offer a wide variety of AA lights but the very inconsistent quality and customer service that I have read about always kept me away.

    When I first came to the forums the Predator models were held in high regards as a solid built, reliable light, with very efficient drivers. As time went on though this seemed to slip away and the table seemed to turn upside.I would honestly like to give them a chance but at ~$60 for the AA model I want it is a bit of gamble when I know my Fenix's will take whatever I throw at them and if they do fail Fenix Outfitters will take care of me.
    If you want to reduce the amount of money at stake, watch for sales. It seems a couple times a year, they offer some really good pricing on a handful of models. Sooner or later, there's a good chance one you're interested in will come up.

  2. #92
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    19,542

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Had a couple of armyteks, both the pro v2.5 versions. Viking cool which i have no more, too cold for me although i did like the beam pattern. Still in my possession is the predator pro v2.5 warm..............damn i do love this light. Real nice quality all round, ano is excellent and love the matte black(i do keep away from all things oily and greasy). I like the way i can select what level and lock it at that, so i have a medium level mainly used. The high is just a quick head twist away. I can click it as many times as i want, always stays in that mode. So for this light, i do like the fact you have to loosen/tighten head to change modes. Now i will admit i have never got the hang of the programming..................honestly i just cant be bothered nor have interest anymore. I am happy as is anyway. To me from what i have read, its pretty obvious something has happened QC wise since the v2.5. Maybe Stevie Wonder works on the QC line, who knows. But i have read enough to not give me confidence in investing in a new version(not matter how tempting.........and it is!). So my very tiny experience has been good and issue free, if i have a failure then as said, a good company shows in how it handles customers. Cant comment here as i have not had to.

    A way to protect the buyer is buy from a reputable shop, one where its easy to return any faulty goods without shipping overseas for weeks...........months! If i want an armytek, i will not buy direct, just as i wont with zebralight. So no singling out for me, i just want a level of protection if i am spending ~$100/£80 or so.

    Agree or not, i can see where some manufacturers require a video, a lot can be lost in interpretation...............no doubt a lot can be fixed without sending off! Not all armytek customers are seasoned flashaholics, so from 1000's of sales world wide, some kind of system needs to be used to protect the manufacturer along with potentially saving a customer sending off and without a lights for month/s.

    New drivers, new LED's, always seeking higher outputs to keep up with the lumen demand. More efficient drivers to keep things running as high and as long as possible . Maybe a catch 22, wait and do too much testing and the latest LED is out and you look left in the dark by other manufacturers. Rush out and risk many potential issues from fails..............Of course more to it, but its not really a business i would be too confident in and hats off to the small companies who make a success of it! . On CPF we are the most demanding and dedicated customer, we want more than just a light!

    Last edited by ven; 02-27-2018 at 12:56 AM.

  3. #93

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Here's your most technically advanced flashlight in the world:
    Recent posts about optic and review: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54675#comment-1285377
    Imalent, Armytek, Gearbest, and Banggood are still in business for the same reason Logan Paul is still making money.
    Imalent, Failure Imminent.

  4. #94

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    I have an Armytek Wizard Pro v3 XPL WW and it has a beautiful tint that is better than any of my other head lamps. The build quality is excellent and just twisting the cap in place you can feel how much nicer/smoother it is than other flashlights yet it is not heavily lubed. I've found lumen test that shows some AT lights actually exceed or very close to their advertised lumens, which is not common in this industry.

    However, their god awful customer service, or lack-of customer service, scares a lot of customers away. I was trying to buy a bunch of Armytek flashlights that were on sale because I liked the quality of my Wizard so much but couldn't even. You can see my post here.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-to-US-anymore

    AT makes good products but if they want a successful business, they first need to improve on their customer service.

  5. #95
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Why do I avoid ArmyTek now?
    A) I have had a Wizard Pro replaced 4 times
    A1) XML-2. Original purchase, right when the first Wizards hit the market. Driver had an issue from day 1. No need for video to return though.
    A2) XML-2 HI CRI. Replacement took ~1mo, but they covered shipping. One of the first HI CRI 18650 headlamps.
    A3) XML-2 Warm. Same as above, but this time the driver only partially died, only working in some modes.
    A4) XHP-50 Warm. Was so exited for upped output, one of the first XHP-50 18650 headlamps. Died the day I got it after running on turbo in a bucket of water.
    A5) XHP-50 Warm. Replacement of the above, currently works and is a dedicated bike light untillll...??
    B) Bought a warm XHP-50 version for a friend and THEY had issues with the driver and had to replace it.
    C) Tacky "nascar" writing has gotten worse
    D) I have had a Zebralight since before Armytek was around and the light has endured near the same abuse, yet has still held up.
    E) Their new form factor on the Wizard pro's just looks...odd.
    F) I will agree with others that something can be said about marketing your product at a price and saying, "This is our price, and thats final." All the sales and promotions with cheesy emails just ends up sounding desperate.

    I had to video document every dead light after the first replacement, but I received a free (albeit delayed) upgrade every time, so I didnt take issue with it much. I will admit, I use headlamps exclusively, so I have not tried any of their flashlights, so I am biased. I use one of Zebralights HI CRI XHP-50 models now, but will miss:

    1) ArmyTek UI
    2) Magnetic tailcap
    3) Matte Anodizing
    4) Blinking voltage indicator (my surviving model only blinks when initially turned on, and subsequently when the voltage begins to dip.)
    5) Armytek always seemed to be on the cusp of innovation with the headlamps, but their driver issues dissolved my trust in them, and now Zebralight has an edge on the market with new LED tech.
    Last edited by jonathanluu2; 02-26-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff.

  6. #96
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Weston, CT
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanluu2 View Post
    Why do I avoid ArmyTek now?
    A) I have had a Wizard Pro replaced 4 times
    A1) XML-2. Original purchase, right when the first Wizards hit the market. Driver had an issue from day 1. No need for video to return though.
    A2) XML-2 HI CRI. Replacement took ~1mo, but they covered shipping. One of the first HI CRI 18650 headlamps.
    A3) XML-2 Warm. Same as above, but this time the driver only partially died, only working in some modes.
    A4) XHP-50 Warm. Was so exited for upped output, one of the first XHP-50 18650 headlamps. Died the day I got it after running on turbo in a bucket of water.
    A5) XHP-50 Warm. Replacement of the above, currently works and is a dedicated bike light untillll...??
    B) Bought a warm XHP-50 version for a friend and THEY had issues with the driver and had to replace it.
    C) Tacky "nascar" writing has gotten worse
    D) I have had a Zebralight since before Armytek was around and the light has endured near the same abuse, yet has still held up.
    E) Their new form factor on the Wizard pro's just looks...odd.
    F) I will agree with others that something can be said about marketing your product at a price and saying, "This is our price, and thats final." All the sales and promotions with cheesy emails just ends up sounding desperate.

    I had to video document every dead light after the first replacement, but I received a free (albeit delayed) upgrade every time, so I didnt take issue with it much. I will admit, I use headlamps exclusively, so I have not tried any of their flashlights, so I am biased. I use one of Zebralights HI CRI XHP-50 models now, but will miss:

    1) ArmyTek UI
    2) Magnetic tailcap
    3) Matte Anodizing
    4) Blinking voltage indicator (my surviving model only blinks when initially turned on, and subsequently when the voltage begins to dip.)
    5) Armytek always seemed to be on the cusp of innovation with the headlamps, but their driver issues dissolved my trust in them, and now Zebralight has an edge on the market with new LED tech.
    Well written and on point - I feel the same way. Although I have had better luck with the 5 units I have of theirs.
    The right question here is, "Would I trust AT enough to backpack only AT units into a 8 mile campsite in the Yellowstone wilderness?" "No, I would not."

  7. #97
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    294

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Well ive owned 2. Both are now broken, both are because their super tough potted drivers crapped out. After talking with armytek about it i was left with such little faith in their RMA system/process i decided to not even send them back.

    IMO they are advertising their lights as being tactical and tough and trying to extract that level of pricing from people while offering nothing better than cheap china crap products as far as actual quality goes.

    Id much rather spend $10 on a cheap convoy host, few bucks on a good driver, few bucks on a LED of my choice, spend 10 min putting it together and just use that.

    As far as small sized EDC light i moved to O-light, cheaper and way better quality IMO.


    TLDR they sell overpriced junk
    Last edited by Rifter; 02-28-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #98

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    they've made decisions and done "work" to earn their reputation here, they'll have to make new decisions and do some real work if they want a new one.
    Last edited by eh4; 02-28-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

  9. #99

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    they've made decisions and done "work" to earn their reputation here, they'll have to make new decisions and do some real work if they want a new one.
    The need to make a video of a failing light to get an rma is a pita. I won't buy any more Armytek. Even more annoying is that some members didn't have to do a vid to get an rma. Nobody would go through the inconvenience and expense of sending back a light that works fine.

  10. #100
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Weston, CT
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    I wonder if AT reads these forums...

  11. #101
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NW PA.
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    I never had one. Reading threads like this was a big part of it.Every manufacturer will have some issues with their lights. Some seem to have a lot more.

    I have a Zebralight SC62. It has worked perfectly for over 3 years.

    My other lights are Fenix, Olight and a few Thrunite. I am fortunate to have NOT had any issues with any of them. A few modded lights also.

  12. #102
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,675

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    The need to make a video of a failing light to get an rma is a pita. I won't buy any more Armytek. Even more annoying is that some members didn't have to do a vid to get an rma. Nobody would go through the inconvenience and expense of sending back a light that works fine.
    One thing I have thought of regarding the videos. I suspect many in the general public who grew up with one button on/off maglites etc. might get confused with more complicated user interfaces. I bet there are plenty of “malfunctioning lights” from a variety of brands that are in actuality the result of user error. A video might weed out those issues so they are only taking back truly defective lights.

  13. #103

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Ya I don't care. No other manufacturers of anything I've ever purchased asked for video to get RMA for a defective product. I'm supposed to give them a pass because they presume I am an idiot? No.

  14. #104
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,675

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Ok, well I guess when you start it you can run your flashlight company however you want.

  15. #105
    A&Q Moderator
    Woods Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New England woods.
    Posts
    5,228

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    So I got these two lights in the mail to my house from Canada yesterday for 54 dallars and change. That's just over 27 dollars each shipped.





    Look at this. A 2XAA light with double springs and 2X O-rings on the head and tail threads for 27 bucks to my door. Even the threads were lubed.



    Best part being I won the NW tint lottery.



    Already dropped it about 4 times by mistake... Kept flying off the seat of my trunk.... hitting the door and going on the floor mat. That last time it magically fell out when opening the truck door to find it. LOL! Still works. The light feels great in my hand. I will field test both of them after some use. They will get dunked in a brook just for fun. All of my AT lights were purchased like that. Gotten on the cheap.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 03-01-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

  16. #106

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Ok, well I guess when you start it you can run your flashlight company however you want.
    No need. I simply won't buy from Armytek nor give them a pass on poor customer service.

  17. #107
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,675

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    With the ease of taking and sending pix and videos nowadays I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future many more companies used them to diagnose problems with products. If it’s simple to correct, maybe the consumer can avoid being without their XYZ product for days or weeks or the company can send parts or instructions more quickly.

  18. #108

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    ^^ This!!

    Nuf said
    John 3:16

  19. #109
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    4,994

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    ^^ This!!

    Nuf said
    I was looking at their Tiara v.1 XM-L headlight last week, for $27.49 from Illumination Supply, but a) I don't use the 3 I already have and b) this thread.

    If we all liked the same crap, it would be a boring world.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

  20. #110

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    What?
    John 3:16

  21. #111
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    4,994

    Default Re: Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    What?
    Que?

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •