Miboxer        

Thread: 10440 Battery in Streamlight EDC lights

Unenlightened

Smile 10440 Battery in Streamlight EDC lights

Hi there guys, I am new to the forum so I apologize if these have been posted in another thread. I have a Streamlight Microstream (newest version), and a Streamlight Pro Tac 1aaa (also newest version) and I have heard that you can use 10440 cells in AAA flashlights to increase the lumen output. I'm running lithium rechargeables in them at the moment, but I wanted to ask someone who knows more about flashlights then me as I am a rookie if it would be safe and beneficial to use these cells in these lights. And if so which brand would you recccomend? Thanks!

Default Re: 10440 Battery in Streamlight EDC lights

Here's a start...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ed-10440-cells

Post #3 is interesting, as is the rest about lower runtimes and excess heat.

Can't find anything on the ProTac either way. From the Manufacturers Data Sheet I'd say not.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 02-14-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Default Re: 10440 Battery in Streamlight EDC lights

Quote Originally Posted by tristanator View Post
    Hi there guys, I am new to the forum so I apologize if these have been posted in another thread. I have a Streamlight Microstream (newest version), and a Streamlight Pro Tac 1aaa (also newest version) and I have heard that you can use 10440 cells in AAA flashlights to increase the lumen output. I'm running lithium rechargeables in them at the moment, but I wanted to ask someone who knows more about flashlights then me as I am a rookie if it would be safe and beneficial to use these cells in these lights. And if so which brand would you recccomend? Thanks!
    Don't you mean lithium primary cells. Lithium rechargeable cells would be the 10440 you are asking about.

Part of your answer depends on tolerances. Every manufactured part has a +/- variation from design. Some LED drivers will have tolerances that stack up so that they will almost immediately let out the magic blue smoke when they are driven over voltage. Others will tolerate it for a while, but will fail early. And some whose tolerances all went to the plus side will handle the over voltage just fine. In any case, driving the LED itself harder than designed will shorten its life span by some significant amount.

In laymen's terms, it might burn out the light immediately or soon thereafter, it might work for a while and then die, or it will just keep on shining. In any case, the LED itself won't last as long as it would otherwise.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.