Fenix UC52 XHP-70 Review

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
submitted for inclusion in the Reviews section

I was recently sent the new UC52 flashlight for reviewing purposes.

web-IGP4905.jpg

While it is of a 2x18650 side by side form factor, that is not original.
What is original in this flashlight are:
- The built-in non-replaceable lithium battery (7,2V 3500mAh) which indicates use of two 18650 Li-cobalt cells. And that is charged by a microUSB port.
- The body is cast aluminum. With no breaks in continuity, this is better for heat dissipation through the body. And obviously makes the flashlight cheaper for the manufacturer and the consumer.

web-IGP4882.jpg

The very distinct lines on the head of the flashlight.

web-IGP4883.jpg

Dimensions & Specs

Length: 153.5mm - 6.0″
Head Diameter: 42mm - 1.7″
Body width: 26mm - 1.0″
weight:. 276g - 9.7 oz

Regarding performance Fenix has published these:

FenixOutputs.png

With an XHP-70 on full throttle, a medium sized body and a medium sized reflector, this flashlight proved to be an interesting case!

Images & Walkthrough

web-IGP4910.jpg

On the topside, the little OLED screen informs the user for the mode, the battery state/capacity but also for the remaining runtime on the particular mode too!

web-IGP4913.jpg

On the bottom side, there is the microUSB socket with its rubber cover.
Charging is speced at 2 amps, but the flashlight will charge with anything providing some current. I even tried an 1xAA powerbank!

web-IGP4929.jpg

The USB port nests in a hard plastic (or silicone) plug. Fenix advertises that the port remains waterproof with the cover off.

web-IGP4889.jpg

As to be expected the reflector is Orange Peeled and does manage to remove the cross style artifact of the 4-die XHP-70.

web-IGP4888.jpg

On the back of the flashlight there is a screwed in cap that gives access to the battery.
I will be giving the flashlight away in the Greek flashlight forum, so I got hold of my curiosity to remove it and have a look at what the battery stack looks like.

web-IGP4933.jpg

And these are two comparison images with 2 typical medium sized flashlights. A Ultrafire C8 and a Solarforce L2D. For good measure I also added the 2x18650 Fenix Tk35UE monster.

web-IGP4936.jpg

Measurements

As expected my tests verified the Fenix specs.
To the dot!
Had it not been a supplied specimen, I wouldn't bother checking them.

Measurements.png

Of note is the low Lux/candela count. It is to be expected by the LED/reflector size combination. This is not a flood flashlight. It is an ocean pouring photons!

FenixRuntimes.png

On Turbo (3100 lumens - level 5), the flashlight is designed to step down the brightness at 65o​C, which happens after 7 minutes of running.
The brightness drops on a secondary turbo level, at 1280 lumens, and the screen shows "Level5-" at that time.

One can be persistent to return the light to true Turbo, but it takes about 2 minutes of wait, and it won't stay there for more than a minute.
After all at 65o​C one must be very dedicated to hold the flashlight with a bare hand!

UC52TRuntime.png

On High (1000 lumens - Level 4), the runtime and temperature graph is interesting.

UC52HRuntime.png

While brightness remains totally flat, one can see that every 15 minutes or so there is a short peak in temperature.
That is definitely indicative of temperature control, but I wonder if its related to the LED temperature itself and its tendency to draw more current as it heats.

Indoor Beamshots

A note on my method.
I have found that it is better to auto-expose each shot to remove the variance in output between different flashlights. This way beam shape is better demonstrated.

Combo-1.jpg

Combo-2.jpg

Well you can see that the UC52 beam is all spill!

User Interface

As you have seen, the UC52 has two switches.

The Primary Switch controls On/Off and the brightness modes.
With a short press the light will turn on and off. Consecutive presses will get you from the Low mode to Turbo in succession.
There is of course mode memory.
What is also convenient is that you need to press only once to get to the next mode from where you are. In contrast many other flashlights will require you to start all over from mode 1.

The Secondary Switch gives you access to strobe, SOS and the battery level indication.
With the light off a short press will show the battery level, as a percentage of full.
With the light on, a simple press will get you Strobe and a second press will get you the SOS mode.
With the light off, a longer press will get you in the SOS and Strobe modes.

Pressing both the switches simultaneously will set the flashlight on lockout.

In Use - Thought and Impressions

The Fenix UC52 features a non-replaceable battery.
Some people will consider this as a detriment to the flashlight's usability and long term service. But some will not matter as more and more modern devices come with a integrated battery, and feature such performance that the user will compromise.
My new phone did.
For sure being rechargeable the UC52 Will be tied up to recharging.
Almost, cos I tried to operate the light while on charge. It defaults to Level 2 no matter what your memory setting and battery condition were.
And of course, one should consider that flashlights and LEDs still develop in runner speed, and they may be outdated before the battery's performance diminishes.

In use the flashlight will sit on your palm fine, since it is a medium sized one.
An average hand will grab the flashlight with opposite fingers touching, even on its wider head.

The User Interface is excellent. Well thought-out and convenient, even for new followers of the flashlight saga.
Battery Level and Remaining Runtime indication is god bless. And totally accurate.
i.e. there was only a minute difference between my measurements and the specs on Turbo/Level 5- runtime.

Lastly, be ready for a very wide beam of light! Older members of CPF will remember the "wall of light" term. with an XHP-70 and a small reflector we have the king off!

I will end this review with a disclosure.
I was reluctant to review the UC52 initially.
But 2 weeks later I did not regret it.
If we are to have a high Lumen count flashlight with sensible runtime and manageable size, one will have to settle for the monstrous XHP-70 and TWO 18650 batteries.
Also with active temperature control and some mass of metal to absorb it.
With all of this included in the design, I think the Fenix UC52 defines the category.

Last edited: